I know some of you will think im silly...

Jules? Did I read that wrong? You want it to go back to time when smoking was ok? Because then people would "really" know if it Did Any harm? Seriously?

I think she meant find out what they were thinking about guidelines at that time, with regards to everything. And find out why they came to the conclusions they did. & what has changed since then.

Jules? Did I read that wrong? You want it to go back to time when smoking was ok? Because then people would "really" know if it Did Any harm? Seriously?

Don't be ridiculous.

I meant find out rates of miscarriages from those days, deformities and test OUR age groups to see the difference long term comparing a child whose mother smoked whilst pregnant and one whose didn't.

Also to find out if people with allergies has decreased with later weaning (this should be massively reduced as it's the main reason given for weaning later).

I hope that makes sense lol xx

I was just reading (an nhs weaning guide) that babies intestines and kidneys are not developed enough for anything other than milk until 17 weeks regardless of their size and how hungry they are you should just up their milk or give a hungrier baby milk or more feeds. Baby milk breast or formula has far more nutrients too so is still best. I know you know Lexi best etc but just wanted to make sure you were aware, as she's a long way off from 17 weeks, I didn't realise that until today either x

I was just reading (an nhs weaning guide) that babies intestines and kidneys are not developed enough for anything other than milk until 17 weeks regardless of their size and how hungry they are you should just up their milk or give a hungrier baby milk or more feeds. Baby milk breast or formula has far more nutrients too so is still best. I know you know Lexi best etc but just wanted to make sure you were aware, as she's a long way off from 17 weeks, I didn't realise that until today either x

That makes sense but surely they can't say EVERY child develops EXACTLY the same right down to the day. I work with children and from what I see they differ hugely :) xxx

Yeah I know, so I guess from 15-20 weeks most babies will be the same with regards to their insides developing, but do you think a baby can be ready 6 weeks or so earlier? Maybe if they were 2 weeks late? My baby was prem so I def won't be starting till 6 months plus.

I weaned both my girls at 3months.. One little bit of rice a day for a week and gradually building it up to 4 months jars.. Jaycee has always been a fantastic eater and Ellie is fussy.. Every child is different they'll let you know if it's hurting their tummy or if it's helping. I think you've made the right choice going on how she's reacted. You've done the hungry milk as I did too. Yes guidelines are there for a reason but that's based on an average of all babies.. It changes all the time do they can't be 100% reliable

This subject will always be up for debate but at the end of the day she's your child and your decision. It's like co-sleeping.. Very dangerous yet alot of mums on here do it. I disagree with it but it's their choice and their risks. Anything and everything will be right for some and wrong for another and we all have to face the consequences if it goes wrong. She may get a sore tummy if she has too much too quick but just one bit of rice a day seems to be doing the job! I'd rather feed my baby early than let them starve and be upset.
Listen to your baby she will tell you what she needs.

Don't feel bad for any decisions you make you thought it through and discussed it properly and it's shown to have made her happy! Your doing a fantastic job honey!!

I agree with jayceemumma. There are going to b those that agree with earlier weaning and those that don't same with co sleeping which I personally think is very dangerous but again it's a very personal choice. At the end of the day guidelines are there as a GUIDE !! They are not intended to b followed by the letter !
I like M2A will more than likely wean in next couple of weeks Rhea is already on hungry milk and to me showing signs she is ready. I'm not saying all babies should b weaned at earliest possibility but when they are ready whether that b 12 weeks or 26 !! Xx

Just a quick update for ladies that are considering weaning early.
Obviously i cant see into the future but at the moments its the right decision for Lexi, she is more content and happy during the day :) She is still feeding every three hours and is waking in the night for a feed too (but i didnt make the choice because of sleep anyway)
She is still only having 2-3 spoons with her breakfast bottle and she is loving it, she keeps looking for more but im keeping it at that for the next week or so then i may introduce some puree's once her belly is used to the rice :)
Im a very happy, proud mummy as she is being brilliant feeding off a spoon x x

We had a place called childsmile round the other day, its an NHS thing on weaning, they brought toothbrush/toothpaste/bowl/spoon ect. She said no weaning b4 6 month, I said what about 4 & she said maybe 4 coz LO is a big baby. She did say that babies cant handle it b4 then ect. But all the symptoms she gave me is all the ones you said about lexi & kaydens starting to do the leaning towards food, & trying to eat things. Kayden's 3 months (nearly) so I suppose I dont have much longer to wait. When my eldest was wee I gave her jars the majority of the time. this HV is saying...keep jars to a mimimum. She said, everything after 6 months should be mashed, but at 4 months should be pureed. I was actually quite concerned when she said no jars. OH is in for a shock coz he does all the cooking at at the moment our veg comes from tins.

Glad lexi is doing well

:)

Its strange that hv have so varied opinions, kind of makes you wonder whos right and whose wrong because when i was talking to Lexi's hv last week she mentioned weaning at 17weeks and to start off with stage 1 jars or make our own puree, which ever is easiest for us so yesterday when i went shopping i bought a few in for the next few weeks, we will do some of our own but not all the time x x

I weaned E at four months as she was showing all the signs and my instincts were strong. Started her on baby rice, slowly added puréed apple, pear, sweede, broccoli etc. then I let her nom on a banna from 5 months. By 6 months she was doing BLW and TW. At nearly a year she eats anything and everything...everyone is alway so surprised at how much/well she eats...and how she isn't scared to try something new...just crams it in her mouth and smiles!

Babies guts aren't generally developed enough before 17 weeks, however as my HV said, all babies develop at different times...so they can't be sure when a baby is ready ( if you think about it, look how all babies sit, crawl, walk and talk at different times- babies develop at different rates)

What I have read on other forums/websites is:

The 6 month exclusive breastfeeding/weaning guideline comes from looking at the world as a whole.so the research is primarily based on 3 rd world countries and how they are unable to sterilise equipment, so it is therefore better to breastfeed for the first 6 months of the babies life for hygiene reasons. However it the developing world, this is not so much of an issue as you have better equipment and means to effectively sterilise all feeding equipment.

So glad she's doing well m2a!! Jaycee was the same and started early and she's always been a fantastic eater! Due to Ellie's gastric reflux she started on food much later and has never been a big eater.. She's only JUST started eating properly!! She drank milk alot up until 2 and a half coz she didn't want food.. At 2 she had a v small breakfast no lunch and maybe two fish fingers for dinner.. Was such a struggle to get her to eat :( I don't know if that has anything to do with her eating later and being on milk longer..

Hi hon just wanted to wish you all the best with weaning Lexi, at the end of the day you're her mummy and it's up to you if you decide to wean her early. We had a session on weaning at babygroup the other day, the health visitor who runs it said the earliest we could start to wean is 19 weeks as their digestive system isn't fully developed until then but then people on here are saying 17 so just goes to show how much advice changes according to who you speak to. Personally I'm hoping that I can hold out until 5/6 months before I have to wean Grace but then I've been quite fortunate in that she's not a particulary hungry baby. It must be tough to feel like Lexi is never satisfied poor little girl. Even though she's only 12 weeks she does weigh a lot more than most babies her age so it does figure that she will be hungrier therefore ready to wean earlier than the average baby. How many ounces of formula has she been taking up until now? Did you mention to your health visitor that you were going to start weaning her? x x x

Its strange that hv have so varied opinions, kind of makes you wonder whos right and whose wrong because when i was talking to Lexi's hv last week she mentioned weaning at 17weeks and to start off with stage 1 jars or make our own puree, which ever is easiest for us so yesterday when i went shopping i bought a few in for the next few weeks, we will do some of our own but not all the time x x

Well, if i hadn't been told about the jars tbh i would just have went out & bought them for each meal same as I did with eldest til she got to age 1, I suppose it makes sense for them to have veg ect, cheaper too, but iv been wondering how often to give jars, I suppose once a day would be ok, for lunch maybe. Cereal or porridge for b.fast & jar for lunch & some mashed potatoes or mashed veg at night, gonna do the ice cube tray thing with loads of diff veg. btw, my eldest would only take the sweet jars, i dont blame her i thought the savoury ones were rank, the porridges were nice, and you could get other similar things that you add water to that she loved.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back