For those of you with milk intolerant babies...

Anna Marie

Reaction score
Hey all.. I know some of you are in this situation and so am wondering how you are all getting on with weaning... we were told to wait until 6 months so we started Lara on baby rice a few days ago but she hates it!!! she gags and turns away whenever she sees the spoon!!

I know baby rice is a good first food but i don't want her to dread solids.. I want her to love them and get excited about food.. what should I do? I would like to introduce a different food..sweet potato or carrot perhaps.. should I mix some with the rice to see if she will eat it that way or just switch straight over and forget the rice for now?

And how quickly should she be progressing through the different foods and how quickly can I introduce more meals? Most guidelines and books etc say different things and refer to 4 month olds...

Thanks xxxx

Have you thought of going the baby led weaning route? Lara is old enough for it and it may make meal times a happier experience for both of you. You can get some baby safe feeders to cut the risk of choking.

Its basically where you miss out the sloppy mush part of weaning and skip to bite sized finger foods. There are some great threads in here about it already so i wont go on about it. Check out Skattys baby safe feeders thread for links on places to buy the feeders. i got mine via the link Katt posted for ebay and they worked out at £6 including delivery.

Leorah is milk protein intolerant and we are going to do baby lead weaning. All the baby rice and cereals in Denmark contain milk powder anyway. If you give me your email address I can send you the BLW guidelines. Basically it puts baby in control of their eating so they only start to eat when they are ready which is less stressful to both of you. I am going to start by giving Leorah chunks of fruits and steamed or roasted veggies and then see what she likes the look of that we are eating. There are babies that are weaned this way that eat everything the rest of the family are eating and feed themselves (it is messy though!) I was worried about not giving cereals as they are fortified with iron and vitamins but they can be used in recipes without milk. Six months is the guideline but some babies are ready before and some after so perhaps she just needs a few more weeks :)

BTW While Leorah was teething she has had carrot, frozen pear and frozen mango in her feeder and loved them all :)

Thanks Melanie and Skatty...

feeders? never heard of these.. would love some info and advice - Lara seems a bit too content to stay on milk at moment, I gave her sweet potato puree this morning instead of rice and she seemed a bit more interested well she took a teaspoon so thats a start...!!

Skatty have pm'd you my email address x

Hi Anna Marie

Isabella is milk intolerant.

Have you got the Annabel Karmel book???

I tried Isabella baby rice and then slowly introduced veg and then fruit. We now eat meat aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back