I know some of you will think im silly...

oh by the way that pic is adorable, I think baby rice (as it is completely processed ) wouldn't be as good or tasteful as pureed veg or the likes? But then maybe because it's more like formula it's a good thing... ahhh i dont know! lol she looks perfectly healthy and happy to me so your doing something right lol xx

Aww thanks hunny :)
You sound like you have a similar way of thinking as me regarding guidelines.
Goodluck with your ttc journey hun x x

LOL it sounds like it , but let's see how it changes when I have one of my own!

I think the guidelines are ridiculous, they change them that often that people that have kids have different guidelines for their children, how can someone who had a baby 7/8 years ago where all babies were traditionally weaned at 4 months for guideline, most weaned even earlier! How can those parents be expected to do a 180 for their following children? It just seems ridiculous....

but everytime guidelines change (for anything) MASSES of money is generated, new books, information leaflets, jobs, new packaging for products and I believe that is the reasoning behind a lot of things. All these studies and you can find one that says this and another that says the opposite, so who's right?!

Anyways , rant over lol! xxx

Ditto! and it annoys me with education, so only when I joined here and I've been reading threads I've realised it's the exact same for parenting which is bad , because basically mums are winging it hoping for the best! But then no matter how a child has been brought up when they go into primary school you couldnt choose how theyd been weaned or formula or breast fed etc etc so as long as theyre happy and healthy that's the main thing xx

On the grand scale of things theres much worse u could do for your LO than wean early. I know for a fact you (M2A) wouldn't do anything you thought would hurt lexi. The guidelines do change all the time & I think its a nightmare too & leads to confusion & ppl doing the total opposite due to it. When my LO was a baby 7/8 years ago, the guidelines were 6 m/o although I did it at 5. Shortly after that they changed it to 4 m/o then changed it back to 6 m/o. I'm sure the 2 months doesn't make much of a difference, & I would consider it at 4 m/o no matter what they say. Its worse when it comes to making up bottles, the guidelines a pain in the neck for that now (and are totally different to when eldest was born).

At the end of the day its more important what LO gets in the following years, like nice nutricious meals & not alot of chocolate ect. The govt should be doing more to show the dangers of giving child fizzy drinks & sweeties & crips every day. I'm one of those ppl who think health warnings should go on unhealthy food

:roll:

it baffles me when i see toddlers with baby bottles of coke? i think how?!?! why?!?!

your sooo right littlemiss :) its like anything your never going to know whether youve done right or wrong till its too late to do anything about it lol

can i ask, i didnt notice you had older child tbh, were guidelines much different? what were the guidelines for bottles then compared to now? :) xxx

Yeah my eldest is 7 and a 1/2. With the bottles back then they told you to make up your bottles for the day (boiled water mixed with formula) leave to cool & store in fridge for 24hrs max. I assumed it still the same & did that with new LO til I found a thread on here saying thats wrong. Now, each bottle has to be made from scratch, no storing them allowed oh & u have to wait 30mins for the boiled water 2 cool a little b4 mixing the formula, which as u can imagine is a nightmare in middle of night, bloody rediculous.

I know its o/t but it gets worse when they go to skl, regarding other things, schools in uk now teach sex education from P1 (4&5 y/os) & also teach them religious things (wish they would ask first) & various other rediculous things. If I was able to home school I would.

Woah that's compulsive. To be honest if it was me I'd give room temp bottles haha!! Yeah it's the education that riles me, I'm a teacher . But I see it carries everywhere where children are concerned, and why? because there's money to be made basically! xx

oooh your a teacher, must be on my best behaviour then :)

What primary do you teach? The schools are a nightmare here, discipline is terrible, LO tells me the boys swear at the teacher & get away with it, she gets homework but hasn't learned anything of the subject in school (feels like im expected to teach her stuff, that tbh I haven't got a clue how to explain to a child). Teacher tells kids to stay up late to see what shape the moon is for their homework, that was back in summer when it was lighter nights. Uch, I could go on, riles me right up.

That's awful!!! I've taught most years in Primary School , at the minute I'm teaching P2.

I'm the opposite, I'm a bit like Supernanny, I'm nice to the kids when they behave BUT I like things done and done properly to the best of their ability. I don't shout or anything , as you have probably noticed I'm very opinionated lol. I think a lot of people do teaching because they think it's easy. xx

I don't even have a lo yet - but I honestly think you CAN'T listen to everything you read . We developed from the stone age, where books and media etc was non - existent.

There will always be do this, don't do that and that's most probably because it sells.

Mother's instinct is instilled and 2 and a half months (10/11 weeks) is early but not as early as we would have all been weaned... and at the end of the day most people have the allergies that are in their family, and I am a firm believer in you are what you eat, if you are fat and diet , you get thin. obese people can get thin, so how would that be if it was baby rice as a baby caused their weight issues? That doesn't make sense to me :)

I think you all as mothers will know what's right for you and your child and you only have yourself to answer to for how you bring your child up, so no point doing it someone else's way .

xxx

Actually 'trafitional' weaning is the 'new thing' as apposed to when a 'stone age' child would have been weaned-at an age they could sit unsupported, move to put things to their mouths (a stone age child would have been given things like bones to chew-they wouldn't have been given puréed food) and copy their parents behaviour (not as early as you seem to believe) etc etc I agree that a mothers instinct is inbred but pressure from others can make you doubt yourself. Do what you feel best.

That's awful!!! I've taught most years in Primary School , at the minute I'm teaching P2.

I'm the opposite, I'm a bit like Supernanny, I'm nice to the kids when they behave BUT I like things done and done properly to the best of their ability. I don't shout or anything , as you have probably noticed I'm very opinionated lol. I think a lot of people do teaching because they think it's easy. xx

I'm one of those ppl who wanted to be a teacher coz I thought it was easy. Fast forward to LO starting school & I now realise that its not what you know, its how you put it across. My LO is learning about money & the different coins ect, I've tried to teach her how you add some up to make certain amt but I just cant think of the right words or way to explain it so I tell her i'm not doing it, I wrote a note to the teacher saying that i'm not a teacher & I dont mind helping with h/work but I'm not prepared to "teach" my child something that I dont know how to explain when no doubt it will be explained differently at another time & totally confuse her.

I don't even have a lo yet - but I honestly think you CAN'T listen to everything you read . We developed from the stone age, where books and media etc was non - existent.

There will always be do this, don't do that and that's most probably because it sells.

Mother's instinct is instilled and 2 and a half months (10/11 weeks) is early but not as early as we would have all been weaned... and at the end of the day most people have the allergies that are in their family, and I am a firm believer in you are what you eat, if you are fat and diet , you get thin. obese people can get thin, so how would that be if it was baby rice as a baby caused their weight issues? That doesn't make sense to me :)

I think you all as mothers will know what's right for you and your child and you only have yourself to answer to for how you bring your child up, so no point doing it someone else's way .

xxx

Actually 'trafitional' weaning is the 'new thing' as apposed to when a 'stone age' child would have been weaned-at an age they could sit unsupported, move to put things to their mouths (a stone age child would have been given things like bones to chew-they wouldn't have been given puréed food) and copy their parents behaviour (not as early as you seem to believe) etc etc I agree that a mothers instinct is inbred but pressure from others can make you doubt yourself. Do what you feel best.

Sorry, I think my point came across wrong! I meant that we have evolved from the stone age, and over time things have changed obviously drastically. I meant that basically no matter what you do , as long as your conscious of your choice and want what's best for your child that your choice will be a good enough one for your child. Over the years there's been so many ways to do things and they've all pretty much done no harm. It's late, been a LONG day, I don't know if I'm wording myself well at all xx

I'm one of those ppl who wanted to be a teacher coz I thought it was easy. Fast forward to LO starting school & I now realise that its not what you know, its how you put it across. My LO is learning about money & the different coins ect, I've tried to teach her how you add some up to make certain amt but I just cant think of the right words or way to explain it so I tell her i'm not doing it, I wrote a note to the teacher saying that i'm not a teacher & I dont mind helping with h/work but I'm not prepared to "teach" my child something that I dont know how to explain when no doubt it will be explained differently at another time & totally confuse her.

Your 100% right but if she's not going to do it, the smallest bit of help from you will go a long way with your daughter. Go back to basics, don't think how a teacher would explain it. Explain it as if you were in a shop etc. Use things she can relate to for values? so like penny chew sweets are pennies, the 'cheap' £1 toys can represent £1 and so on... try that :) xx

Wait till your kids are doing standard grades and want help with homework! My daughters homework is far to hard for me to help now and I've got a degree lol! Google has it's uses!

Oh god sarah im dreading that. I know it sounds pretty dumb not being able to explain coins, but this was a homework sheet that had 2 be in next morning & I had no idea how to explain it, esp over the space of an hour. And tbh I got quite frustrated when LO wasn't picking up what I was saying (coz im thinking to myself...this is easy) but I suppose for them its not, its new. Its hard to explain for example that with £1 coin she could get 75p change. lool - i've been giving her £2 every week in her purse & we go to the shop to see what we can spend it on (not much maybe a bar of chocolate or a magazine)

Latest thing is the 24 hour clock - im lucky if i even know what time it is myself, let alone explain it.

oh Gosh, giving her money to spend in shop is a fab way! She will pick it up, I'm sure your doing a fab job. It is VERY easy to get frustrated, I get exactly how you feel BUT with adults! lol I have more patience with kids but obviously I need to and have prob got more patient over time xx

Maths and physics is the worst! They assume you will know as well, and then get a right huff on when you try to help but think your wrong!
And back to feeding your kids, feeding a teenager is sometimes just as bad as a toddler as you worry about all these eating disorders and if you've given them any food hang ups over the years from your own dieting! I just try to educate my DD about food choices and tell her a bit of everything is good in moderation but half her friends are dieting at 14 and living on energy drinks, she tells me she eats properly at school but you just never know!

Maths and physics is the worst! They assume you will know as well, and then get a right huff on when you try to help but think your wrong!
And back to feeding your kids, feeding a teenager is sometimes just as bad as a toddler as you worry about all these eating disorders and if you've given them any food hang ups over the years from your own dieting! I just try to educate my DD about food choices and tell her a bit of everything is good in moderation but half her friends are dieting at 14 and living on energy drinks, she tells me she eats properly at school but you just never know!

You do sound pretty clued on - and you sound like your taking the right approach , I definitely think teenagers are harder than toddlers! haha xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back