Dummies?

flopsybunny

Reaction score
Hi girls! Hope you're all well!! I'm wanting to ask how many of you will be using dummies with your newborn? I was reading something about dummies being given to babies up to 6 months to help cut the risk of cot death. I think I will probably use them but not sure whether a particular brand is best or whether to go for latex or silicone? What is the difference?

Xx

ive bought 4 tommee tippee 0-3 months dummies i hope she like them my eldest hated a dummy

I've bought 2 Avent 0-3 month dummies. We've bought them 'just in case'. Because i'm going to give breast feeding a go I won't be giving them to him for a while anyway. I'm hoping he won't need a dummy and will take to a blanket/muslin instead but if he likes a dummy then so be it! :) x

Oh, are you not supposed to use dummies with babies that are breastfeeding? I want to breastfeed too.

Xx

my son had a dummie as he tried to feed constant off me for comfort... this time im not planning on using one but if baby needs it to settle or whatever im not against using them x

Last edited:
my son used a dummie while breastfeeding and he had no problems x

Last edited:
with my first he used dumies, but lost interested in them at about 4 months, so i stopped givin him them,

ive got 2 avent dummies again this time incase baby wants one, ill just go with flow x

They say to not use a dummie for the the first 6 weeks if breastfeeding as it can confuse them.....I'm going to concentrate on getting BF established first, then will see if he needs one or not xx

I think it's fine to use them staright away with breast feeding but i'd rather he just latched onto the breast at first rather than breast & dummy. I'm sure you could use them straight away though, it's just my plan not to. But then he's not here screaming at me yet so who knows! lol x

Amanda beat me to it and said what I wanted to say in 1 sentance!! Damn my waffling! lol x

I have the Tommee Tippee ones because they came in the sterilising kit. We dont plan on using them at all this time around.

We gave Reshaun a dummy at a few weeks old but he had it for a matter of weeks before he started spitting it out so we didn't force it.

X

I have those ones that came with the steriliser and my mum has got a couple for me. I'm happy enough to use one for night time (I'm saying that now :lol:) don't want her to have one in her mouth every second of the day though!

x

Hi, I don't plan to use a dummy, but if necessary I will get one xx

the breastfeeding workshop i went to this week told us we shouldnt use dummies when breastfeeding as it can confuse baby and means you cant see the suckling they do when they need a feed? x

i don't want to use one really. i personally don't see the need for them. i didn't have one neither did my niece.

i have got a couple i got free at the baby show but if i can go without every opening them i will be happy xxx

i don't want to use one really. i personally don't see the need for them. i didn't have one neither did my niece.

i have got a couple i got free at the baby show but if i can go without every opening them i will be happy xxx

This was me before I had Seb. Then he turned out to be a baby that NEEDS to suck for comfort :( I'd rather he suck a dummy that can be discarded than his thumb which can't. I was devastated but it's what he needed to do.

only my 2 girls had a dummy my sons would suck on them and thn look at me asif no milk coming out of this and spit it across the room lol. My youngest sucked his thumb so i tried to give him a dummy as I still suck my thumb and i didn't want him to be like me, he even has a horrible smelly blanket that when washed he doesnlt sleep for 5 days was the last time it was washed. and yes again i still have what I call my lables i cant sleep without them and i hated hte fact that my youngest has got attatced t a blanket i tried everything to make sure he never i never bought any of these snuggle things or gave him a certain teddy all the time, but he just did it himself. I prefer dummy to thumb but sometimes nothing you do helps they will do what they do, if they are a baby that just wants to suck all the time then i dont see the harm as long as they are taken away before they start school.

its strange how info changes with times as wen i had C 5 years ago he was BF and would constantly try and feed just for comfort when he didnt even really need fed so i was told to introduce a dummie to save him feeding when he clearly didnt need it. He was still able to feed fine off me.

Thanks for all the info and opinions girls! I have got 4 tomee tipee air flow dummies and the holders in the boots baby event. I had to laugh at myself, a few months ago I would be in boots spending ages standing over the make up and perfume trying to decide what to get - yesterday, I spent 20 mins trying to decide what dummy to get and didn't even look at the make up! Lol

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back