Baby Led Weaning

A few of Rubys, doing well with our BLW, have introduced it for lunch, she has cereal for brekkie and baby rice & puree for tea, but give her rusks and bit of fruit/veg after them too...

We tried cucumber today...

DSC00110.jpg

Rice cakes & philly...

ruby262.jpg

Banana...

DSC00106.jpg

She loves eveything I have given her so far!! She doesnt eat much, just waves it around, sucks it a bit and generally makes a mess, but its fantastic fun :cheer:

bless her! she really looks like she is enjoying her food :)

Highchair has arrived, it makes BLW much easier!!!! She is really getting hang of it now, and LOVES getting messy

ruby281.jpg

ruby282.jpg

Rubes loves cucumber and banana, breadsticks and rusks :lol:

im so pleased the BLW is going well for you zoe!

Just had to post these, Rice Cake, Tuna, Dairylea and...

JACK!!

He has to inspect everything:
DSCN1059.jpg

DSCN1057.jpg

DSCN1061.jpg

DSCN1063.jpg

He really enjoys feeding himself, BLW is such great fun. If he doesn't like something he sniffs it (i.e. carrot and parsnip) and it gets ejected over the side! :rotfl:

Mmmm, tuna mixed with philly?? I will try her with that I think :think: She loves bredsticks too at the mo....

Whats the score with eggs-when an they have them? Wanted to try boiled egg or scrambled egg????

Jack is gorgeous!!

eggs = same as pregnancy... as long as it isn't runny its fine (well thats what my HV has told me).

Alice swipped some of my tuna sandwich the other day.. she LOVED it! not thought of mixing it with Dairylea though. :think: I recon it will be a case of "one for alice, one for mummy" :lol:

She had some carrot the other day, tried it, turned her nose up at it, and tried to pass it back to me!!

Thanks Sam, he is rather scrummy (although I am a little bias).

I just whizzed them together in the liquidiser a little to make a paste and then straight on the rice cake. Obviously a hit!

Zoe - re eggs you are meant to wait until after 6 months (as per NHS birth to 5 handbook) which I am trying to do. I think this is to do with allergies etc, same as wheat, citrus fruits and nuts. I also read somewhere that you should give them yolk first and as long as they are not allergic to that introduce white.

Hi
How long was it before your little ones actually started swallowing the food with BLW. So far Evie has had rice cakes, carrot and banana, she is loving squishing it into het mouth but at the moment it just seems to come straight back out again! Occasionally she starts to swallow a little bit but she just gags and that comes back out as well!!! We've only been trying for about 5 days.

I've got to say my dog is also loving BLW!! :D

The articles I read is that they will actually swallow it when they are developmentally ready to have solids, and that that is normally when they reach 6 months. Occasionally it is sooner.

id never throught to give ricecakes before seeing this thread so i went to morrisons and bought some tonight along with some philly...

rhys is in bed now so i cant try him with them until 2moro but will post piccys etc :)

Rice cakes are great as they dissolve away to nothing. I just buy the adult ones. At first I used to cut them into strips but now just cut them in half. I am using the organic sesame flavoured ones and Jack seems to really like them. He gets excited when I get the packet out now!

I got some baby organic rice cakes in Asda (Cow & Gate), they are great, she loves to suck the philly off and then chomp away

I gave her breadsticks which I kept dipping in philly too the other day, she loved them...

I remember the gooey mess from rice cakes with Ella, looking forward to trying out Alex with them when he's a bit older.

Hi my son louie is 5months and 1 week old, i gave im a rice cake but i am so scared he will choke , he did get a few bits in his mouth and started to gag , is he too young for them?

are you trying BLW?

i started giving Rhys finger food at 5 months, i started with toast and soft vegetables that Rhys could just suck and taste. Now he is great with finger food and hardly ever gets food cought in his throat.

what you have to remember is babies will learn how to push the food back up into their mouth if it is too big/hard to swallow. If your baby gags just pat 5 times on the back, stay calm, and give them the food again. It will take about a week or so for them to get used to finger foods, chewing and swallowing. It will also help if your baby is in an upright position instead of lying in a baby rocker or something as its harder to control the amount swallowed if their head is tilted back.

i would also offer a drink of water to help wash it all down!

i hope this helps. there are a lot of us on here that do BLW if you have any more questions

Hi Dawn, your louies is a similar age to my Evie. I am doing a mixture of BLW and a bit of baby rice. I'm finding the same thing when I give her vegetable sticks and rice cakes, she sucks them and they either come straight back out or she gags and then they come back out! I've been doing it for around 6 days now and can already see an acceptance by her to accept solids into her mouth. She had an asparagus spear last night and loved it, smiles all over her face.

I did ask earlier how long it was for the established BLW out there for their little ones to start swallowing the solids, anyone?..... :)

for the first few weeks i did a mixture of pureed veg mixed with baby rice (to make it lumpy) and finger food so i wasnt really worrying about Rhys actually eating any of the finger foods. Once he got used to tasting them and handling them he then started to swallow some.

as i said babies will learn to push the food back into their mouths if it is too large to swallow. its all a learning curve for them.

the most important thing is not to stress out if your babies dont swallow much fingerfood at first. if you are worried about their food intake then supplement with some pureed food, try some small baby pasta off a spoon (this will take about a week for them to get used to) or some couscous

to answer your questions fluffy bunny ive been BLW for almost 2months and Rhys still plays with his food more than he eats it!!
he does swallow some though !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back