Baby Led Weaning

I've been reading up loads about this, I don't know why so early! lol

She doesn't seem vaguely ready for food (apart from watching us) so I'm hoping to BF until six months. If so, I understand milk is still her main source of nutrition, after that she needs iron as I understand, is there anything else vital? I want to feel comfortable that she's getting what she needs from me (minus iron) and that anything she eats on top of that is a bonus and about the experience??

How bad is the mess they make?

Thanks for any help :)

NickyB said:
I've been reading up loads about this, I don't know why so early! lol

She doesn't seem vaguely ready for food (apart from watching us) so I'm hoping to BF until six months. If so, I understand milk is still her main source of nutrition, after that she needs iron as I understand, is there anything else vital? I want to feel comfortable that she's getting what she needs from me (minus iron) and that anything she eats on top of that is a bonus and about the experience??

How bad is the mess they make?

Thanks for any help :)

The active thread on BLW is this one now. Loads if info, links, meal ideas etc there

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=89993

Yes about iron but its not as bad as its made out to be. There are foods with it in and its not that she will become ill overnight at 6 months if she doesn't eat any iron rich foods straight away. Other than that, boob milk (or formula) will continue to be the main source of nutrition evern when eating solids.

The mess is messy :lol: But tbh its easier than trying to spoon feed I find. Far less stressful as you don't get hung up on how much baby eats.

Read the book Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley. Worth the £10 (or £6 from Amazon) It explains everything you'll need to know about BLW and is very reassuring and debunks all the myths etc. Most of us following BLW own a copy and have read it cover to cover. Took me about 4 hours all up :D

See you over in the other thread :)

Ditto what Sherlock said, although there are a lot of foods that have added iron in them (cereals, bread) so it is easy to make sure baby is getting iron from the first day you start BLW. Green veg is rich in iron as is meat but its the juices of the meat that have the most iron (the blood). So when a baby starts BLW and they have no teeth they gum and suck the meat and they are really taking all the iron form the meat by sucking the juices. I'd not worry too much about the iron theres lots of ways you can make sure your baby has enough and any other nutients will come from your milk, like you say anything else from the solids is a bonus.

Im just in the middle of the BLW book and its pretty easy to read about 3/4 of eeh way through and its not taken much time so far only got it on Saturday :D Try your local library for a copy thats where I got mine.

Its pretty messy to be honest but Im the sort of person where it doesnt particularly bother me so you really need to be prepared for the mess if you think it might bother you. Tonight Maia threw her noodles up the wall :clap: its wiped off though. Big bibs are a must at first so they are not totally caked, I use the ones with arms in. After a month or so I got a pelican bib for Maia so I can put any bits that have been dropped in back onto her tray, and it means less waste, I think some babies may be a bit too small for a pelican bib though initially but may be worth trying one and see how you get on. We have a slate floor so very easy to clean but use plastic sheeting if you have a carpet as it does get covered.

Its best when her hands are covered then she rubs her face and then puts her hands all over her hair :lol: we just dunk her in the bath when that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back