Baby Led Weaning

dont mean to sound thick, but what does baby led weaning mean?

It's basically when you let the baby feed itself without you spoonfeeding them.

We started off like it and now Ella has a mixture of being spoonfed some foods and feeding herself others :)

ohhh right, never heard of it. why do people do this then? are there more benifits? is it more for when they are older? Harleys 4months?

This website kind of explains it - the benefits really are them being more independent with their feeding and being able to miss the mush stage http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintr ... lines.html . I'm glad I started her with finger foods and things as she seems to enjoy feeding herself, though she does have spoonfed meals now as she's quite hungry :)

davina said:
liam had broccoli, carrot, carrot, potato and chicken just mushed a bit with a fork and loved it.

he also had a banana and a kiwi. so proud of him

That's brilliant Davina!!! Keep it up.

Emilia xx

ruben is getting quite good at self feeding now, he LOVES rice cakes, toast and pretty much anything he can get his hands on! i tend to always give him finger foods at the same time as mashed food for his dinner - so he eats some himself and is spoonfed the rest (although he now tries to grab the spoon all the time!) this works for us!

i feel for the poor broccoli floret.... it didn't stand a chance... :rotfl:

mmmmbroccoli.jpg

fingerfood.jpg

oh and here's how we get around the "slippery banana syndrome", i start off with half a banana and cut the skin away leaving him a handle to hold, then i cut off more skin as he eats, until he reaches the end!

banana.jpg

kina: ella is REALLY enjoying that avocado isn't she?! lol, soooo cute!

petchy he is gorgeous. are you planning to meet us in soton in october.

petchy he is gorgeous

thanks!!! :D *beaming with pride*

are you planning to meet us in soton in october.

oh! is there another meet planned then? i will see if i can make it.. was sorry to have missed the birmingham meet!

Aww Petchy, Reuben looks so grown up with his own plate! He's lovely.

Did your babies gag alot on finger foods to start with? For instance, I let Olivia munch on my banana today and she bit a chunk off (her bottom two teeth are quite big now) then gagged, retched and spat it out. Do you think she's just not ready or was it a daft food to try it with? She also did it with a rice cake, she didn't seem keen on sucking it until it was soft - just went straight in for the bite in half tactic and then she was coughing and her eyes were watering so I patted her back and leaned her forward and she spat that out too.

I think I'm quite nervous when I give her the finger foods so perhaps I am over-reacting or did your babies cope fine from the start?

Lucy

It was trial and error with Ella to begin with at first - you do find yourself watching them really closely. I still do! It's a new skill that O is learning, she'll definately pick it up :) :hug:

i peeled a kiwi and held it and liam just kept chewing it. when he got too much in his mouth he spat it out. but he absolutely loved it. try that Lucy, but make sure that it is really ripe.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back