Anyone struggles to give up smoking?????

szuszy2002

Reaction score
Hi

Im new in here and I was just wondering if any of you smoking and finding it
hard to stop all of a sudden.

szuszy2002 said:
Hi

Im new in here and I was just wondering if any of you smoking and finding it
hard to stop all of a sudden.
yes me, i smoked a hell of a lot before finding out i was pregnant, i am really struggling to stop but have cut down by loads, we can only do our best. by the way :wave: welcome and congratulations :cheer:

Oh thanks at least I know im not alone. This is my 2nd pregnancy and altho I
cut down I cant actually stop . Its weird cos I quit smoking lots of time and now
its just not happening.

szuszy2002 said:
Oh thanks at least I know im not alone. This is my 2nd pregnancy and altho I
cut down I cant actually stop . Its weird cos I quit smoking lots of time and now
its just not happening.
no your not the only one at all, i do feel guilty but i think nw is the hardest time to stop, what with hormones making me a crazy lady right now :wall: :rotfl: my mum has 3 of us, smoked with all of us and we are all fine. how far gone are you?

i didnt manage to quit completely when i was pregnant with my daughter, and this time round im down to about 3 a day already, i going to try to get it down to 2 over the next couple of weeks, then hopefully get down to 1, then stop.

the idea of quitting while pregnant scares me though, i have lots of friends who smoked through their pregnancies and had perfectly healthy babies, i only know one person who quite while pregnant and her son was born at 32 weeks and was really poorly :think:

bumblebee87 said:
i didnt manage to quit completely when i was pregnant with my daughter, and this time round im down to about 3 a day already, i going to try to get it down to 2 over the next couple of weeks, then hopefully get down to 1, then stop.

the idea of quitting while pregnant scares me though, i have lots of friends who smoked through their pregnancies and had perfectly healthy babies, i only know one person who quite while pregnant and her son was born at 32 weeks and was really poorly :think:
yeah thats it i think the stress of stopping can be worse than stopping and my dr said that too, best to do it one step at a time, i have about 4 a day now, so well done you, your doing well :dance:

Only 8 weeks tomorrow and I think with this pregnancy im more stressed out I even had
to ask my fiancee to move back to his for a while cos I think my hormones driving me
and him crazy and dont wanna end up us a single mum again.
So yes this is the most difficult time to give up and I feel bad about it.
I dont have problem with alcohol and I did enjoy my drink before I got pregnant.

I really dont mean to preach....BUT.......I was a 20-30 a day smoker when I fell pregnant and had smoked for over 15 years, I quit within 2 days of getting my BFP. I had tried on many occasions to stop, and despite having fairly severe asthma I still carried on smoking.

Once I fell pregnant I only had to look at the risks:

High rate of Miscarriage
Birth Defects
Low Birth Weight
Breathing problems for baby - asthma etc
Higher risk of SID

If you run these through in your mind enough times, you will quit very quickly - personally I couldnt have lived with the fact I could potentially harm my unborn baby! Im a firm believer that if you cant quit when you are pregnant - you will never quit!! Its a case of getting your priorities right, then its very easy to quit!

My husband was also a heavy smoker and he has also quit now as to not cause any problems for our LO when he arrives!

Sorry girls - I dont mean to sound harsh - but its so much easier to quit when you have another life to think about!!

i think if you stay aware of how many youre smoking it helps, before i go to bed, i put 4 in an empty pack, and get my OH to put the rest up too high for me to get to, that way i have to space them out or go without for the rest of the day

like i said i smoked when pg with my daughter and she was 5 days late, 7lb 13oz and in the words of the midwife 'absolutely perfect'

Well i understand and appreciate your view regarding smoking while you pregnant
but I do not agree about the stuff you said that if you pregnant cant quit you
never will. When my son borne who is perfectly healthy, he was always crying
when I went in the garden for a cigarett and that time I managed to stop for 2 years but
while I was pregnant I could not stop.

Completely agreee with EllieBelle.

If you can't quit you shouldn't be getting pregnant in the first place. It's selfish.

And as for saying that your baby is 'perfect' after smoking throughout pregnancy. Who's to say what damage has been done that isn't apparent yet. You can't say that because one baby 'seems' healthy that it's ok to smoke whilst pregnant.

I won't run and hide as I'm not ashamed of my opinion, although I suspect I will get flamed by the pregnant smokers on here.

K.x

I used to smoke when I got caught pregnant with Olivia, as soon as I found out I was pregnant I gave up ( I had been smoking for about 6 years before hand (20+ a day) and never had been able to do it before.

I knew it was the right thing to do, no questions no matter how much I craved and how moody I was.

My mum smoked in all of her 6 pregnancies, 2 of them have eczema and one had asthma as a young baby and another has asthma too (she seems to be much better since getting older) but it effected her childhood and i'm sure it may effect her when she is elderly.

I agree you can't say "there is nothing wrong with so and so and they smoked" you dont know that 100% and as far as im concerned it isn't a risk worth taking.

Also this is an emotive topic (very emotive) so I would expect two sides of the argument i'm affriad especialy in a forum full of hormonal women :lol:

I can understand it is VERY hard to give up, but you know what you are potentionaly doing to your baby.. isn't that enough to put you off? ( honest question, not getting at anyone! :) )

Sorry but i agree with kj and elliebellie, i was a 20-40 a day smoker and as soon as i knew i was pregnant i threw the fags away and never looked back.

Im sorry but smoking when pregnant is foul - your baby is the best reason in the world to quit as every reason she has put above.
Everytime you inhale smoke you are cutting off your babys air supply, you dont believe me - google it!

My niece Lydia was born with only one functioning kidney and my sil has been told one of the reasons she may only have one decent kidney is becuase she smoked - and she cut down. But still smoked.

Its a disgusting habit anyway and id never smoke again, but to smoke when pregnant? come on ladies go to the doctors - a clinic and get some help - go cold turkey but dont smoke when you are pregnant.

I know its hard to give up but you have the best reason in the world not too now :D

I'm one of those that stopped as soon as I got my bfp.... but stupidly started again when my daughter was 6mths old. She is now 2.5yrs and I havent had a ciggie since chrimbo day ( :dance: me!!)

Anyways... all I wanted to say was if you are wanting to try to stop, there is currently a thread in the Health section with loads of support as loads of girls had it as their new years resolution.... take a looky viewtopic.php?f=54&t=105425

Firstly, I'm not preeching as everyone is entitled to their own opinions and actions.
I smoked for 15 years and packed up before my BFP because I knew what the outcome of POAS would be.

The way I did it was: I can't smoke when I'm pregnant and that's that. I haven't even craved one since infact the smell of smoke now makes me sick. I went to a smokey house the other day and my breathing was definately impaired so then I thought if that's how I am imagine how a wee babies lungs will be!

Quick question: What will you do when the baby arrives? Would you go outside to smoke? If so, that proves you wouldn't want them breathing the smoke in so why let them do it now when it could be more harmful?

The way I did it was: I can't smoke when I'm pregnant and that's that. I haven't even craved one since infact the smell of smoke now makes me sick. I went to a smokey house the other day and my breathing was definately impaired so then I thought if that's how I am imagine how a wee babies lungs will be!

Exactly, its a horrible thought.

I'm firmly in the pregnancy=no cigarettes camp here too, but ultimately, it's your body, and your baby. If your happy that the pleasure/stress relief of smoking is greater than the pleasure/stress relief of knowing your baby is at much lower risk of certain health problems, then no-one will change your mind otherwise. But if you're sure it won't harm your baby, why are you even trying to give up?

I gave up smoking long before TTC, and did so by reading the Allen Carr 'Easyway' book - I would urge everyone trying to give up to buy a copy. If it works, you've found a totally painless way of giving up fags forever - and I mean painless - no cold turkey, no gradual withdrawal and no cravings when you're with other smokers. If it doesn't work, it's only cost a few quid to at least try.

Good luck to you all, whatever methods you try :hug:

bumblebee87 said:
like i said i smoked when pg with my daughter and she was 5 days late, 7lb 13oz and in the words of the midwife 'absolutely perfect'

This comment is totally irrevalant.
It could be argued that your daughter was extremely lucky that she was born 'absolutely perfect' despite the fact that you smoked throughout your pregnancy. Although your daughter seems not to have suffered any ill effects, the question I would be asking is did she benefit from you smoking while pregnant. The answer is a huge no.

I smoked for years, 15/20+ a day. I quit as soon as I got my BFP. Yes, it was the hardest thing I have ever done and I remember thinking if I wasn't pregnant than I would never quit. My OH was also losing his business and going through bankruptcy at the time, so it is possible to do it in times of stress.

If you really want to quit, speak to your MW. She will help you so much and be very supportive. You can also ring the quit smoking helpline :)
The way I did it, which might help you, is to treat it how you would unpasteurized foods or alcohol. You simply cannot have it. You wouldn't get blinding drunk while pregnant, so try and get into your mindset that way of thinking. You cannot smoke. Then all you have to do is get past the craving, which only lasts a few minutes. Good luck :D

(mama2be I was just writing when you posted! Basically the same way of doing it :) )

Misslarue said:
The way I did it, which might help you, is to treat it how you would unpasteurized foods or alcohol. You simply cannot have it. You wouldn't get blinding drunk while pregnant, so try and get into your mindset that way of thinking. You cannot smoke. Then all you have to do is get past the craving, which only lasts a few minutes. Good luck :D

(mamabe I was just writing mine! Basically the same way of doing it :) )

Very well put - that's what I was trying to say but not sure it came out very clearly.

I actually have withdrawal symptoms from not having rare steak but nothing from not smoking apart from I don't smell anymore, I can breath easier and I don't have to stand outside in the cold whilst everyone else is partying - None of which I would consider downsides. :D

[quote
You wouldn't get blinding drunk while pregnant, so try and get into your mindset that way of thinking. You cannot smoke. quote]

Exactly! It shouldn't even be a choice! You cannot and should not do it.

I'm sure most people adhere to all the other things you're not supposed to do whilst pregnant, such as blue cheeses, runny eggs, saunas, etc. So why is smoking different?

K.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back