Smoking during pregnancy

Pinklady85

Reaction score
Ive been smoking for years ive found out im pregnant a week ago but im trying so hard not to smoke but i realy cant help it i have to give in..what can i do? i feel so guilty does anyone else smoke in pregnancy here? xx :hug:

im afraid to say i smoked all the way through my pregnancy, about 15+ a day. some people say the stress of giving up is more harmful on the baby than the actual smoke.
im not making excuses so dont everybody start having a go at me.......i just couldnt give up.
as for babies having to go through nicotine withdrawel, didnt apply to me, she was fine. she was small (5lb 14 1/2oz) but so was my eldest daughter and i didnt smoke with her.
she has no health problems either.
im not saying its ok to smoke during pregnancy, maybe i was lucky.who knows

Hiya, I have never been a smoker, but I can really appreciate how hard it must be to give up. go to the doc or your mw and tell them your having trouble and they can refer you to a smoking cessation clinic.
My sister was a smoker right up until the day she got her BFP. Then she threw all her cigarettes in the bin. She said it was really tough, but she is glad she did it.
I hope you get some help and I wish you lots of luck!! :hug: :hug:

You are such a rude person! You should be banned from this website i asked for advise not lectures ffs im gone off this site see ya

DID I SAY I WAS PROUD ?? NO I BLOODY DIDNT!!!! I SAID I FEEL GUILTY AND ASKED THE REALLY NICE PEOPLE ON HERE FOR ADIVCE ON WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP STOP!!!!!! DIDNT SAY I WAS GOING TO CONTUINE DID I!!! I ONLY FOUND OUT A WEEK AGO!!!! UR MAD LEAVE ME ALONE PLEASE I DONT NEED PEOPLE LIKE YOU TALKING TO ME COS UNLIKE U THERE IS SOME REALLY NICE PEOPLE ON HERE WHO ACTUALY DO HELP !! AND UNDERSTAND

ive been a full time smoker for 5 years (not as long as some of you but still, im addicted)

i used to smoke about 25 a day... more at weekends when i was bored and when i found out i was pregnant i thought it would be a piece of cake to quit..

but it wasnt.. and i only managed to cut down to 5 a day.
i felt guilty everytime i had one but i just couldnt get my head around quitting.

i posted in health and beauty section a couple of days ago about wanting help to get rid of these few fags..
and i got loads of replies..

most said, "quit for your baby, its not good for her etc", and ill admit that i just read and forgot about those..

but then Midna replied saying "you might aswell just blow smoke in ur baby's face" and that was the thing that did it for me.

i was shocked like you are to get such a straight up comment... but thats what we need.

anyone can say to u, "your babys health is more important etc etc etc, you can do this, well dne etc"
but when you get a reply like midna's, its like having a slap in the face and to be honest.... us who smoke during pregnancy, a slap in the face is exactly what we need

Yeah i toatally understand that hun but she was so harsh as if i like it and i wanna do it but i really dont..i am trying my hardest sooo much its unreal

Also i just read what minda said to you and she was a bit nice she was pure nasty to me i dont need it

i hope u think twice about smoking during your pregnancy..it is really bad for your baby, and it is just developing from tiny cells right now.. any toxins can cause harm..dont do it for you do it for your baby. just think.. you smoking that fag... causes your baby harm.. its true, its not a lie..get urself some lollies and suck a lollie instead.

I have to admit, I didn't find it hard either... I quit without any help (unless you count endless amounts of chewing gum, boiled sweets and lollipops). I quit with my last child too... I started again when she was about 6 months old though... I find it hard to quit smoking on a permanent basis... but as midna said, 9 months isn't a long time....

At the end of the day, you wouldn't force your child into the army, or to take drugs, but by smoking while pregnant you are doing the same thing. You might as well put a ciggy in their hand and light it for them... Your baby can't make an informed choice as to whether he can or cannot avoid cigarettes but you can. Even though Suzy100 says she smoke all the way through her pregnancy, would Suzy100 now go and sit in the same room with her daughter all day and smoke 15 cigs? no of course not, but that's what happens when you're pregnant.

Some people are lucky and their babies are born fit and healthy...although there has been research to suggest that smaller babies tend to have more problems in later life, especially in education. Although not 100% proven of course...

Nicotine isn't as addictive as everyone thinks. For one medically, nicotine takes only 72 to 96 hours to leave the body. However, its the physical and mental reverberations that can go on for weeks...Thats the habitual addiction not the chemical. So if you can not smoke for a week, you are not chemically addicted any more. Its your brain pretending you are.

Unfortunately most of us that have been in 2nd tri recently are a bit narky...Tracy2 who was about 20+weeks just lost her baby...so to see someone who desperately wanted a baby and loose it, then to read about people who would risk purposefully harming their baby, hurts a little bit..

Honest it's not as hard as it appears...you can do it, you just have to be determined. The doctors, midwives etc are all there to help and there are so many things you can do... Go and read the post in 2nd Tri about Tracy2 and see if you could risk the same thing happening to your baby, and whether that ciggy is worth it in the end...

PLUS...think how much money you will save to buy cute outfits for that baby...??? My DH stopped smoking in August and he has already saved 75€ and cigs cost 3€ a packet in Spain....so you will save a bundle, wouldn't you prefer to spend that on baby?

Pinklady85 said:
Also i just read what minda said to you and she was a bit nice she was pure nasty to me i dont need it

yeah it is hard,
when i started to quit a couple of days ago, my feet started tapping and i was chewing m nails and pulling my hair out everytime i got a craving... but as soon as i got a craving, ive either sucked on a lollypop or gone to brush my teeth.

the craving passes after 5 mins... and now the time in between my cravings seems to be getting further and further apart..

i bought a bag of 30 fruit lollypops just to help me quit.. the "sucking" thing seems to pass the craving.
or when u get a craving.. go and brush your teeth if u can.. because once ur mouth is feelin all fresh and clean... u dont want to go and have a fag to ruin ur breath do u?

but dont be mad at what midna said... if i was a non smoker id probably be acting the same way

Hi Pinklady :hug:

Try to give up if you can hun, I know that it can be difficult, but you have to consider that little life that's growing inside you.

Have you researched the dangers of smoking in pregnancy? Google it and have a read.

I don't think that midna was having a personal attack on you, more about something she feels very strongly about.

I do however think that some people (and I'm not aiming this directly at midna) should try to word things a little less blunt on here at times as a lot of us are very hormonal during pregnancy.

Thats made me really upset i know its awful and im going to get gum,lollies whatever it takes ... im very grouchy today becaus of pregnancy and im taking it out on everyone around me thanks 4 advice :hug:

Pinklady85 said:
Thats made me really upset i know its awful and im going to get gum,lollies whatever it takes ... im very grouchy today becaus of pregnancy and im taking it out on everyone around me thanks 4 advice :hug:

:clap: :clap: if u wanna talk more just pm me :hug:

Thank you i do appreciate your oppion and understand becuase i would prob say the same but prob not as harsh... im now a non smoker not gonna touch a fag for the next 9 months..im going shops soon to get some lollies & gum and lots of food so i wont smoke ive also got this other technique where u put a band on ur wrist everytime u want a fag u ping it and t god damn hurts so i wont want one.

thanks for all your help...
yeah i will pm u hun if i need a chat or anything :hug:

i just feel sorry for my family atm lol they gonna get me double whammy moods

Take the money you save each week from your fags, and put it in a pot....It was a great motivation for my hubby (who I thought would NEVER stop!! as he's been smoking since he was 12) but seeing the money pile up week after week has really inspired him to continue... And you can buy so many nice things for babies nowadays... :hug: :hug: :hug: I'm sure you can do it you just have to really want to and give your baby everything it deserves...

Pinklady85 said:
Thank you i do appreciate your oppion and understand becuase i would prob say the same but prob not as harsh... im now a non smoker not gonna touch a fag for the next 9 months..im going shops soon to get some lollies & gum and lots of food so i wont smoke ive also got this other technique where u put a band on ur wrist everytime u want a fag u ping it and t god damn hurts so i wont want one.

thanks for all your help...
yeah i will pm u hun if i need a chat or anything :hug:

i just feel sorry for my family atm lol they gonna get me double whammy moods

lol, well my mum n stepdad are away for the weekend so luckily theyve missed me swearing and shouting and getting mad at myself :rotfl:

Oh My god! I read the tracey post i have now tears in my eyes...im seriously going to not smoke another fag for 9 months and i can put my little babys life on that , thats how much it means to me..

if anyone wants to chat on msn feel free to add me [email protected]

love to u all xxxxx :hug:

remember, cravings dont last forever...

if they did... everyone who'd tried to quit smoking would be locked up in a mental home now

Very true ... im going to be one gassy person with all this gum :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back