Smoking during pregnancy

I don't know why this subject brings about so much debate. There cannot be one single mother on here who thinks its good to smoke while pregnant.
Is it better for your unborn baby, that you don't have that 1 cigarette a day. The answer is without a doubt YES.
Yes, its hard to give up and I know as I had smoked since I was 13. But suck it up, it won't kill you to stop, its just really hard. The bottom line......its no longer just about you anymore.
Midna can come across as hard sometimes, but I agree with everything she says.
It sometimes feels as if smokers on here want reassurance that its ok to smoke when it clearly isn't and somehow that becomes the actual debate.

Pinklady85: If you really want to stop there is enough help and advice out there. You already know that you shouldn't be smoking, hence the guilt. But if that isn't enough to make you stop then talk to your GP, they will be more than willing to help and will have a host of resources and facts at their disposal.

gangofgin said:
smoking was my choice, i can do whatever to my own body, but when it starts to harm other people, its selfish, no doubt about it.

I think this is an extremely valid point... At the end of the day, if you make an action that ultimately hurts a person or possibly kills them, then that is selfish, and people are going to get upset and emotive on the subject.

If I was to you say now, that I drink and drive, and it doesn't harm anyone, would not everyone on this forum be up in arms, telling me off, saying...what if you killed that person... I might never do any harm by drinking and driving...never have an accident...but there is always that due to my selfish actions I do ultimately kill, hurt or maim someone... (I don't drink and drive btw... before you flame me. :rotfl: )

Thats why people are acting the way they are because smoking although more insidious...has the same possibilities... :roll:

I agree with Misslarue. And i also think that no one here has been nasty at all. If you post asking for help people can only help in ways they know best. Some times knowing the harsh reality helps, thats what stopped my dad smoking. I suggest you ask your doctor hun and hope you get help from them as theyll know the best things to do :hug: good luck

lisa&alex said:
"Josephine_Beth - The best treatment is the silent one."

i think some people - like yourself dont know the harm the smoking causes to fetus' and if they ask is anyone else smoking, coz i am struggling to quit, they are asking for peoples opinions. so i would say that the best treatment is reality..people have said their experience's of smoking whether to themselfs family or friends, and then the results on it on their babys.

i think people have been quite informative, some a little harsh when it comes to the reality of it all, however correct. and i think that this has not just benifited the original poster, but those who are struggeling right now and probably those in the future who stummble accross this.

Totally the opposite to be honest, I had a manager drink problem, borderline alcoholic, it damaged my body am I am slowly, still recovering and I had stopped 4yrs ago (howver, i learnt how to control my drink and chose to have the odd one now and then). I know how bad the effects can be but I also know that trying to drill how bad it is into someone's head, doesn't work as well as people think it does.

Have you heard the saying 'you can't be helped until you're ready to be help'? It's not just a saying for addicts, it can be placed into an everyday life. Just because one person sees lung cancer, death, smells, lack of moeny, doesn't mean another person will see exactly view.

Plenty of women have had more than healthy babies whilst smoking during pregnancy and unfortunately, other women haven't. yes, smoking is bad for your unborn child, this I will not deny. What I am trying to say is that it's some's choice what they do with their life, drilling the wrongs into their heads, won't make them listen any longer than before.

Josephine_Beth said:
Plenty of women have had more than healthy babies whilst smoking during pregnancy and unfortunately, other women haven't. yes, smoking is bad for your unborn child, this I will not deny. What I am trying to say is that it's some's choice what they do with their life, drilling the wrongs into their heads, won't make them listen any longer than before.

(I'm enjoying the debate here, like Urchin said so I'm not directly picking on anyone... I don't think Pinklady is here anymore, but she said she was quiting anyway so this is no longer about her quiting its more to do with debating the issue... good luck Pinklady keep it up :hug: )

Josephine beth also makes a valid point. It is true that women who smoke, some go on and have healthy normal babies. And I agree that it is someones choice over whether they smoke or not... and I have no issues with smokers in general... What I disagree with is when someone makes a decision that is a purly selfish one, such as smoking and drink driving, which can ultimately harm another human being. I don't think that is right, or fair and I would never agree to that.

If my child, for example, decided to get drunk one night and ended up in a fight where someone got killed, I would not agree with that and I would be telling him off so to speak.

We all make decisions in our lives that affect other people, and we need to be socially aware that those decisions can have disasterous concequences... It is our duty as honest and good human beings to make sure we limit our damage to our surroundings and others around us.

More people feel emotive about this subject than others, and mainly because it involves the life of an innocent...one that has never done any harm on this earth and who deserves to be treated with care... When we see people not doing this, then it will evoke a strong emotional reaction.

I've popped in and out of here wondering whether to post - mostly deciding against it because I'm not sure what I have to add would be sensational enough to get heard.

Smoking when pregnant is going to harm the embryo/fetus, so may eating rare beef, or blue cheese. Without any doubt it's better not to smoke but what about practical suggestions rather than sweeping judgements? The tangle of views and feeling about mother's versus embryo/fetus rights is endless - one way or another the baby SHARES the mothers body, while that means they share all the nutrients, warmth and first world luxury we get they also share our bad habits, of which smoking is only one. Once a baby is born of course it would be different if someone blew smoke in it's face - perhaps not in effect but in the simple truth that the mother can now smoke alone so it would be a deliberate act of malice. I don't think most smokers are trying or going out their way to harm their baby - (although it does harm).

There are positive things which can help. Start with seeing a GP and asking about gum, patches etc. The evidence surrounding the effects of NRT (Nicotene Replacement Therapy) is growing all the time but it is CERTAINLY less harmful than smoking IF used correctly (ie not smoking at the same time).

I smoked 20 a day till I found out I was pregnant when I switched to NRT partly because statistically that increases my chances of staying stopped once the baby is born which in turn increases the child's chances of a healthy enviroment. I read most of the research myself but also double checked with my GP in the first week and then with the midwife BOTH agreed my actions were a solid and valid plan. I started using 1/3 the NRT dose recommended and am now on less than one 6th. I also counter some effects such as nicotene raising the heart rate of the fetus by ruling out all caffiene - because even smallish doses have the same effect and I don't want to risk the combination.

By using (very lightly) NRT I have reduced the effects of the physical craving which can alter how I deal with stress - that's perhaps an individual thing, almost certainly not helped by my having smoked for well over 20 years. Psychologically I've reduced the sense that I'm only stopping because I'm 'pregnant' - instead this is a long term plan based on the role model I want to be for my child, not just a response to the nine month it will share my body.

It's not just about stopping, it's about how to get the SUPPORT to do so, the confidence you can and it not being such a drama that the minute bub pops out smoking begins again. My kid is going to live many years - if parents smoke stats say that will be many years less. My Mum smoked (although she stopped in pregnancy) I would steal the occasional cigarette from the age of about 8, my lungs were already used to it from the house - had she stopped for good, had she had available things which made stopping a better experience maybe I would never have smoked at all. I started on her cigarettes - most kids I've met that smoke start on their parents fags.

Going to a doctor who will listen and discuss alternatives is well worthwhile because unless it's a life time thing it still harms kiddo down the track.

Ok, squiglet just summed up everything I was trying to get over lol I am cr@p with words!

I know that after this baby, I won't start smoking again, I was looking to try and give up for a year and could never last longer than a week but now I've not smoked for 4 possibly 5 months and I am feeling the better for it.

Unfortunately, people with addictive personalities, tend to suffer more when it comes to trying to give up.

However, my hubby still smokes, he promised to give up when i did (thought together it would be easier), the git didn't :evil: so when this baby coes, he is limited to where he can smoke.......living room is a no no when the baby is there.

However, there is a law over here that it is illegal to smoke in the car when you havea child under the age of 14 as a passenger.

Josephine_Beth i think we should just agree to disagree on this one.

and floppit! ive gotta say well done you, i agree with you, giving up totally is miles better, i think that the whole debate smoking while pregnant.. and after the baby is born.. even if it is out of the room. do the toxins still stay on your clothes? the smell does? so the toxins probably do.

that probably a question i would like to ask the doctor if i was going to resume smoking after.

Can you use nicotime patches and those funny plastic stick thingys when youa re pregnant? I never really asked about them? I know that they have some level of nicotine in but if it helps to quit, it couldn't be that worse?

Mind you, they say a lot of smoking is to do with having something to do with your hands. Ever wondered why some people pile ont he weight when giving up? Their hands are not busy, so they do something else, take that craving away and usually, they eat.

Our bodies are strange things huh

My dad dropped dead from a heart attack that was caused by his smoking.

We all know the dangers, its up to individuals to make a choice.

Josephine_Beth said:
Mind you, they say a lot of smoking is to do with having something to do with your hands. Ever wondered why some people pile ont he weight when giving up? Their hands are not busy, so they do something else, take that craving away and usually, they eat.

That was my problem... I don't eat...because its not about my mouth, I have a nervous personality... I now chew my finger nails and the surrounds, until they bleed... :doh:

Squiglet said:
Josephine_Beth said:

That was my problem... I don't eat...because its not about my mouth, I have a nervous personality... I now chew my finger nails and the surrounds, until they bleed... :doh:

theres me thinking you were just a freak! :wink:

lisa&alex said:
Squiglet said:
[quote="Josephine_Beth":1arv6wau]

theres me thinking you were just a freak! :wink:[/quote:1arv6wau]

No no no Lisa...you're quite right.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

lisa&alex said:
and after the baby is born.. even if it is out of the room. do the toxins still stay on your clothes? the smell does? so the toxins probably do.

that probably a question i would like to ask the doctor if i was going to resume smoking after.

Yeah they do. They get in fabric and even if you have a cigarette outside you bring back all the toxins with you. You are never suppose to let your baby sleep in a room where people smoke/smoked as it increases the risk of cot death. You also breath out toxins/chemicals for up to 2 hours after you have a cigarette. When my brother comes up to visit and go out for a cigarette I make him wear a 'smoking' coat thats not allowed to come in my house. He has to wash his hands and face and clean his teeth and still I don't want him anywhere near Dan.

Josephine_Beth said:
Can you use nicotime patches and those funny plastic stick thingys when youa re pregnant? I never really asked about them? I know that they have some level of nicotine in but if it helps to quit, it couldn't be that worse?

Our bodies are strange things huh

You do need to discuss it with your GP but it eliminates all the extra stuff in ciggies like carbon monoxide which binds to red blood cells and reduces the oxygen to the fetus and arsenic (sp?). Personally, I was uneasy about using a full dose but by using the inhalator (plastic thingies) I can keep puffing on an empty cartridge so it was easy to dramatically reduce the dose. I started on a third the dose recommended and now use less than one sixth.

It's still debated about whether the full dose is a good idea pregnant but it seems to be conclusive that even at full dose it's much better than smoking. However, overall success rates are higher for people that stop using NRT so I took that into account to as I want to stay stopped and found the compromise I belive gives the best long term life chances to little one. I still checked it with the docs and midwife though and they both agreed.

If you can't stop smoking and you know it then you shouldn't be trying to concieve in the first place.

As other people have said, if someone chooses to smoke, it's their own choice, but when they have another person inside them, it is selfish to make the decision to smoke when the baby has no choice but to be exposed to the toxins.

As for the 'science stuff' (!!) please! I have a PhD in molecular biology and have been in scientific research for 6 years. It's a little naive to say you don't believe in it and you grandmother, auntie etc managed fine!! Most science stories you see on GMTV are just sensationalism and grabbing the latest trendy research that doesn't really have any foundation. But as for smoking during pregnancy.... come on, it's proven time and time again! I can find you plenty of primary literature with the studies to prove it if you would like.

It's about being responsible, it makes me so angry when I see pregnant ladies with a fag in their mouths. As has been said earlier in this post, so many people try to get pregnant for years with no success, or have miscarriage after miscarriage and they are the picture of health and try everythin they can to have that baby they so want. If you don't even have the willpower to cut out the cancer sticks AS SOON as you find out you are pregnant, or preferably as soon as you start trying, then perhaps a decision to have a life with no children is the one for you?

K.

Misslarue said:
lisa&alex said:
and after the baby is born.. even if it is out of the room. do the toxins still stay on your clothes? the smell does? so the toxins probably do.

Yeah they do. They get in fabric and even if you have a cigarette outside you bring back all the toxins with you. You are never suppose to let your baby sleep in a room where people smoke/smoked as it increases the risk of cot death. You also breath out toxins/chemicals for up to 2 hours after you have a cigarette. When my brother comes up to visit and go out for a cigarette I make him wear a 'smoking' coat thats not allowed to come in my house. He has to wash his hands and face and clean his teeth and still I don't want him anywhere near Dan.

:shock: :shock: shocking really! and to think.. theres mums of new babys and older babys.. that think its ok to smoke when the rain covers on teh pram, while walking.. smoking away from the baby.. then going back and feeding.. or nurshing! shoked me completly that..i thought that some toxins must stay on the clothes.. but it didnt really click that.. omg! toxins stick to your clothes.. thats poision... these people are directly giving a bit of poision to their babys and children..thats like.. mixing their forumlar, and puttign a drop of toilet cleaner in!!

:shock:

lisa&alex said:
Misslarue said:
[quote="lisa&alex":282qfqkp]

:shock: :shock: shocking really! and to think.. theres mums of new babys and older babys.. that think its ok to smoke when the rain covers on teh pram, while walking.. smoking away from the baby.. then going back and feeding.. or nurshing! shoked me completly that..i thought that some toxins must stay on the clothes.. but it didnt really click that.. omg! toxins stick to your clothes.. thats poision... these people are directly giving a bit of poision to their babys and children..thats like.. mixing their forumlar, and puttign a drop of toilet cleaner in!!

:shock:[/quote:282qfqkp]

I'm so glad i have read this. I gave up smoking the day i conceived (though i did not know i had!!) so i don't know what made me that day but any way i only started like feeling like a cig the day I did a preg test so i was lucky and have not gone back to them.

However i still feel like one now but obviously have not but i keep thinking after the birth i can have the odd one away from the baby but clearly not!

Thats me given up until baby hits 18!! x x

I know it's so shocking. I HATE it when I see people smoking around children :x Before I got pregnant me and OH smoked in our house like troopers. We stopped as soon as I found out (although OH had a few sneaky ones outside :roll: )
I cleaned everything. The curtains, nets, carpets etc I didn't want any trace of toxins in my house.
Just found this though............its sticks to the walls :shock:
Good reason to re-decorate my entire house!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1774

i used to smoke.....since i was 15 so, about 12/13 years. Used to love a fag! Luckily i never smoked in the house because my hubby has never been a smoker, makes it so much easier to give up. I gave up with my first pregnancy, then for some silly reason, started again afterwards. What a silly cow :rotfl:

Im 11 weeks now and ive only had 3 - 5 fags since i found out nearly 7 weeks ago. The last time i was weak and had one, i went and threw up afterwards,......My god i felt sick. That was a couple of weeks ago and i can honestly say ive given up for good.

I know its bloody hard, but it is for your baby's health. Someone who didnt ask to be here, and is totally innocent and reliant on us mums to look after them. Like if someone smokes rouind my kids i get really aggressive, so theres no way i'll be smoking while pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back