What Do I Need For My Hospital Bag

Found this list on google

General:
Change for the car park (easy to forget in the rush)!
Maternity Notes...Quite important to remember!
Mobile phone - handy for that all important 'I've done it' message to loved ones.
For Labour:
Birth Plan
Dressing Gown
Slippers
Socks – in case you get cold feet in labour!
T-Shirt - to wear for the birth
Massage Oil
Labour 'energiser'
Snacks/Drinks
Energy Sweets
Watch – to time contractions
Camera
Books/Mags/Music – to pass the time
Tens Machine
Toiletries
Water Spray Bottle - cool yourself down
CD/MP3 Player (battery, not mains operated)*– favourite tunes make labour more bearable!
Small Sponge - great for taking small sips of water & to cool down with
Flannel - get your birth partner to mop your brow!
Hair Brush
Hair Bands
Hair clips
Water – small bottles are easier to sip from
Antenatal Notes
Bach Rescue Remedy – for times of crisis
Birth Ball – some labour wards provide them
For Birth Partner

Change of Clothes
Snacks & Drinks
For After the Birth:
Going home outfit (someone can always bring that in for you later)
Knickers – disposable or cheap cotton 'big pants'
Nursing Bras – best to get properly fitted in late pregnancy
Breast Pads
Maternity Pads - take a couple of packs & have someone bring in more if need be
Nightdress that's suitable for breastfeeding (more comfy than PJs if you have stitches)
Dressing Gown, lightweight - hospitals are hot!
Shampoo
Conditioner
Cleanser/Toner/Moisturiser
Shower Gel
Deodorant - hospitals are hot!
Soap
Hand Cream*
Towels – ones that don’t matter, dark colours are good!
Hairbrush
Toothbrush & Toothpaste
Arnica – helps with possible bruising
Lavender Oil – a few drops in your bath can help healing and also relax you
Tea Tree Oil – a few drops in your bath can help healing
Nipple cream – well worth packing!
Cosmetics (if you can't bear the thought of being seen 'au naturel').
Favourite breakfast cereal/ tea bags
Fruit juice/mineral water
Tissues
Inflatable Feeding Pillow
Ear plugs – in case you find yourself with the only sleeping baby on a noisy ward!
Small plastic jug - some people swear by it....perhaps best not to ask why beforehand!
*For Baby:
Car Seat
One outfit for going home
Babygros/sleepsuits
Baby bundlers/gowns – great for night time nappy changes
Baby Bodysuits/Vests
Blanket
Nappies
Socks
Hat
Muslin Squares
Baby Toiletries (all our toiletries are organic)*- Shampoo/bodywash and Moisturiser
Baby Nail Scissors & clippers - babies nails can be surprisingly long at birth
Cotton Wool balls....you'll be surprised how many you get through
Nappy Sacks - degradable or non-degradable.* How eco friendly do you want to be?
Nappy Cream
Baby Wipes - organic or not*(useful to freshen up yourself, if not baby)!
Scratch Mittens
Bottles if required/milk - if not breastfeeding

That's more like a suitcase worth lol x

small plastic jug im guessing is to fill with cool water and pour as your weeing to stop the stinging, esp if u have stitches! lol

One tip I've picked up on that's not mentioned here...

Remember to pack all-in-ones for baby that snap up at the side, not down the middle.

Apparently, poppers/zip/whathaveyou down the middle can irritate baby's belly button stump.

I noticed someone mentioned lip balm, my friend said her lips were really dry so that or vaseline is a good idea.
I don't have to worry about this for a long time but I was being nosy ;-)

small plastic jug im guessing is to fill with cool water and pour as your weeing to stop the stinging, esp if u have stitches! lol

best thing is warm water but yes its the right idea, i usued mined alot even when i came home as its like peeing fire x x x

My local hospital still provides milk but cut down to 2 options sma and cow and gate. No more aptamil. Nappies and maternity pads are available but women are advised to bring their own to cut down costs. Just to mention try a pair of diposible pants on first for the fit because in my opinion they are rubbish and to small.

Makeup:dance: You can also add makeup to the list if that's important to you for photo ops!!!.

How Easy Is It To Get Pregnant
Can you get pregnant on your period
Can You Get Pregnant While on Your Period
Can You Get Pregnant Right After Your Period
Can You Get Pregnant Right before Your Period
How to Get Pregnant Fast How to Get Pregnant With a Girl How to Get Pregnant With a Boy
e1ae2686cd.png

Last edited:
This time round, I'd just be happy to have a bag with me! I had to have an emergency c-section last time and hubby had to bring random stuff in over the following days. Having survived with no bag, I have to say that I'll probably not be packing a suitcase full of stuff the next time round! Just the essentials - changes of underwear, hairbrush, toothbrush and then stuff for the baby.

Whatever you pack in your bag, my advice would be to pack it early! :) I had to go in at 36 weeks and was just in the process of sorting mine out.

oh god iv just read a thread which says you should start thinking of packing and having it ready anywhere between 28 weeks and 33 weeks just in case....errr i need to start mine next week then!! blimey so not ready for this baby anytime soon!!!! such a long list, how big a bag do you use and what type of bag even?! oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh!!!!!

a few women who have had their babies have told me to pack straws so ur partner can easily feed you a drink! xx

I cannot agree with this any more! When I was in labour with my first I had a little gas and air and subsequently dribbled most of my juice despite my OH's best efforts :lol: Hadn't even thought about it till now, but I will be adding that to my hospital list!

As a second timer I'd say find a happy medium between preparing for every eventuality and traveling light. I didn't take too much with me last time. Nighties, change of clothes for leaving, pants, phone (for camera), money, toiletries, maternity pads etc. All the general essentials plus some paper to doodle and a pack of cards. I didn't feel I was missing anything at any point though and I didn't have a frantic OH riffling through a huge bag trying to find the one thing I needed right there and then! :lol:

If you are being induced, take paracetamol. I waited 2 hours for the nurse to bring me some form of pain relief and that was what I was given!

great help - thanks all!

Anyone know where in the forum the list is of essentials to prepare for baby? Its a really comprehensive list but i cant remember what it was named

Having a panicky daay!! this has really helped thank you :D xx

I will definitely be packing a face cloth to use as a cold compress on my forehead. Reason for this being that when i was in labour the last time they didnt have anything I could use and they ended up wetting a sanitary towel with cold water and stickingit onto my head!! Talk about feeling like a total idiot, as if labour isnt undignified enough,lol!

lol this really made me giggle, can just imagine it:)

Glad I came cross this thread! Given me some help on what to pack. Here is my list if it also help, I also used small vacuum bag to pack my stuff and baby stuff to help squeeze some things in to my 30" wheeled case. Then use my baby bag for nappies.. etc.

Hospital Birth List

ME
Money Car Park
Snacks/Drinks
Maternity Note/Birth Plan

In Suit Case -
Ear Plugs
PJ (2)
Dressing Gown (1)
Knickers (8)
Slippers (1)
Maternity Pads (Asda own)
Sanitary Towels
Breasts Pads (Asda Own)
Sport Bra (3)
Going home clothes
Socks (4)
Towels (2)
Plastic Bag for dirty clothes
Tissues
Maternity Briefs (Asda Own)
Gym Ball
Space Vacuum Bags (3)
Toiletries bag :
Shampoo, shower gel, face wash,
flannels, hairbrush, toothbrush,
tooth paste, deodorant, hair bands,
baby wipes, hair ties.

BABY
In Suit Case -
Baby short sleeved vests (4) 0 -3 Months
Baby long sleeved body suits (4) 0 -3 Months
Baby Towel (1)
Hat (2)
Booties (2)
Mittens (2)
Cardigans (1)
Going Home Outfit
Muslin Squares
Bibs (4)
Fleece Blanket (1)
Baby Fleece Wrap

In Baby Bag -
Nappies (Aldi size 1 £1.69/Aldi size 2 £2.99)
Nappy Bags
Baby Formula Starter Pack (SMA 6 pack from Asda £6.99)
Cotton Wool

Car Seat

Last edited:
om..gosh .. i best start now with all this and nursery .. clothes.. but excited .. great tips thou ..
im taking a nursing pillow not just for breast feeding heard its great for support xxx

I love this thread! I am off to the shops tonight to buy up the rest of the stuff I need!!

Thought I would share my list with you guys :) I know I am only 23 weeks but I wanted to make my list early that way I knew exactly what I was needing and could buy gradually rather than going out to buy everything when I am packing :) Hope it helps!

Baby bag
Baby blanket (1)
Vests (3)
Bodysuits (3)
Bibs (2)
Socks (3)
Cardigan (1)
Mittens (2)
Hat (2)
Muslin (2)
Going Home Outfit
Towel (1)
Wipes
Nappies (Range of sizes)
Hair brush

My Bag

Camera
Money
Phone Charger
Gownie (1)
Pj's (1)
Lounge bottoms (1)
Lounge top (1)
Towel (1)
Socks (2)
Slippers
Underwear (6)
Bra (2)
Maternity pads (1 pack)
Makeup bag
Baby book
Going home clothes
Laundry bag
Toilet bag; face wash, moisturiser, nipple cream, wipes, body wash, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm, shampoo, conditioner, hair brush, hairspray, travel hairdryer, hair ties & pins.

xox

Last edited:
ive got most of the things i need, just need to wash baby stuff and buy some sleep bras and some cheapy granny knickers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back