Packed my hospital bag! anything missing?!

handbagqueen

Reaction score
Hi all,

Before I left work I needed to waste a bit of time so I decided to go through al the hopital bag threads from the past and compile my list based on this...so here it is- so you think I missed anything?!

o Pillow
o Fan
o CD player + cds (checked with hospital and am allowed this)
o Plastic bags (dirty stuff)
o Maternity notes & birth plan
o Money
o Birthing ball & pump? (hospital has these so might not take it)
o TENS machine? (not sure if I'm going to get one of these)
o Watch (to time contractions) Taken out as prob won't need at hosp
o BooksAs above
o MagazinesAs above
o MP3 PlayerAs above!
o Mini hot water bottle
o Stress ball
o Car seat (and baby on way home!

o Nightdresses x 3 (incl 1 cheapy to give birth in and 1 with buttons for bf'ing)
o Possibly pyjamas for after birth
o Dressing gown
o Slippers
o Pants x 5
o Nursing bras
o Clothes to go home
o Flip flops for shower
o Towel x2
o Warm socks
o tankini (top for water birth)

o Toothpaste
o Toothbrush
o Mouthwash
o Shower gel
o Shampoo
o Conditioner
o Deodorant
o Moisturiser
o Hair brush
o Hair bands
o Lip balm
o Nipple cream
o Nipple pads
o Maternity pads
o Flannel
o Wet wipes
o Tissues
o Hand cream
o Massage oil/cream
o Cooling gel pads
o Water spray
o Rescue remedy
o Arnica tablets
o Paracetamol
o Antibac gel

o Lollipops
o Snacks
o Mints
o Lucozade tablets
o Drinks
o Straws

o Paul's list
o clothes-including shorts/t'shirt and jumper for all temp conditions!
o Books/magazines
o List of contacts
o Toiletries
o Camera
o Batteries
o Money- lots of change

o Baby's list
o Teddy bear
o 3x sleep suits (newborn)
o 3x sleep suits (0-3)
o 3x vests (newborn)
o 3x vests (0-3)
o 1x cardigan
o 2x scratch mitts
o 2x hats
o 1x jacket
o Blanket
o Nappies
o Cotton wool
o Muslin cloths
o Towel

I have packed most of it now and it actually isn't that much when its all together- specially as all the toiletries are mini products so take up hardly any room.

Added other peoples suggestions in blue just in case anyone uses this as a comparison

i think that list sounds pretty organised, have you cheked your hospital policy for food? I know my one wont let me have it as soon as i go in, but otehrs have said theirs will.

Sandi

Sandi4Paul said:
i think that list sounds pretty organised, have you cheked your hospital policy for food? I know my one wont let me have it as soon as i go in, but otehrs have said theirs will.

Sandi

Oh, i didn't think to check this- everyone keeps telling me to take snacks so that the dh is sustained! Will ask my midwife next week- thanks!

If your maternity unit is kept at the same temp as ours.... make sure OH has shorts and t shirt no matter what the temp outside... my OH has said that to everyone as he said it was so uncomfortably hot.... I have to say i spent most of my time in hospital in just my bra and shorts and I was really hot too... so make sure you have cool clothes..

J
XX

Oh my god you are so organised, I might have to copy some of your list, I didnt think of half the things you have got.
:shock:

Tick-Tock said:
If your maternity unit is kept at the same temp as ours.... make sure OH has shorts and t shirt no matter what the temp outside... my OH has said that to everyone as he said it was so uncomfortably hot.... I have to say i spent most of my time in hospital in just my bra and shorts and I was really hot too... so make sure you have cool clothes..

J
XX

We noticed it was extremely hot when we went on the hospital tour the other day- will remind dh of this- Thank you!

kerrymac said:
Oh my god you are so organised, I might have to copy some of your list, I didnt think of half the things you have got.
:shock:

It was more boredom than anything else- i couldn't be bothered to work on my last few days so thought I'd do the list- I literally took nearly every thread on hospital bags and compared them! Hope it helps you too though!

My list is very similar to yours. I've got most of it piled up on the spare bed and there's no way I'm going to get it all in the small holdal I've got. Going to need a suitcase :lol: !!

You're really organised I think you've covered it all!! :D Ive been checking mine against yours!!

I hadnt packed or thought of packing towells, what sort are you taking and what for?? Will hospital provide any??xx

I'm not sure about the paracetamol. I never worked on a maternity ward, but all of the wards have their own supply and I never worked on a ward that allowed people to self-medicate. All medications had to be signed in by nursing staff, then approved, then put on their charts. It wouldn't hurt to bring it, but don't be too caught off guard if they take it away from you. It's important for them to know what you are taking and when.

laura23yrs said:
You're really organised I think you've covered it all!! :D Ive been checking mine against yours!!

I hadnt packed or thought of packing towells, what sort are you taking and what for?? Will hospital provide any??xx

Towels are for shower after or i guess if I need them after the pool- general concensus is that they should be a dark colour for obvious nasty reasons! Not sure if hospital provide any but I'd rather take my own than use hospitals tbh.

moss said:
I'm not sure about the paracetamol. I never worked on a maternity ward, but all of the wards have their own supply and I never worked on a ward that allowed people to self-medicate. All medications had to be signed in by nursing staff, then approved, then put on their charts. It wouldn't hurt to bring it, but don't be too caught off guard if they take it away from you. It's important for them to know what you are taking and when.

I read somewhere that it might be worth taking your own just in case as they can get really busy on the ward and not get them back to you for ages...also will need them for dh as I'm sure he'll get some sort of headache! Bui I'll bear that in mind and let them know I've got them if I need to take any- Thank you!

o Money - Lots of change
o Birthing ball & pump? (hospital has these so might not take it) i wouldnt worry about this if the hospital has them plus you might not get chance to use ito TENS machine? (not sure if I'm going to get one of these)
o Maternity pads - i found always ultra night secure guard (Blue packet) fab!o Flannel
o Antibac gel - Lots of this already at hospital
o Straws ???

o Paul's list - Magazines/books/blanket or jumper

o Baby's list
o Blanket - have maybe 2 or 3 if you dont want to use hospital ones
Baby bottles & milk if not breast feeding

Make sure you have plenty of drinks

Thanks for your points jollypops. Straws seemed to come up a few times- as hard to drink water out of glass I guess :think:
Will add another blanket to the bag too-thank you!

midna said:
out of your list I wouldnt bother with hot water bottle or watch, books and magazines..when you go to the hosp you will be in pretty much established labour like when it hurts.. you and your OH probably wont be reading mehe

I did think that but thought just in case I have a spectacular birth with contractions that hardly hurt I ought to take something with me to ease the boredom! :rotfl:

You're so organised :clap:

That's all you need I think, unless you're taking food.

PS, take stress ball, or something to squeeze/bite/chew on whilst you're pushing the LO out!

you forgot quite a few things hon:

Kitchen sink
Toaster
Fridge
:rotfl:

jk that is very organised u make a good point with the towels ie dark colour... Also in another thread someone spoke of wearing pjs after the birth which is a good idea and less revealing then a nightie especially when we have to wear horrible surf boards :(

JamieIsabella said:

PS, take stress ball, or something to squeeze/bite/chew on whilst you're pushing the LO out!

ooh, good idea! Thank you!
think I will update the first post too- just in case someone else uses my list as a comparison.

Steelgoddess said:

Kitchen sink
Toaster
Fridge

yes, I know, thank you! thats what my hubby said when i first showed him the list and said I was off shopping for everything!

handbagqueen said:
JamieIsabella said:

ooh, good idea! Thank you!
think I will update the first post too- just in case someone else uses my list as a comparison.

If you take a stress ball, I'd take more than one!
My sister burst 3 when giving birth to my neice Alyssa! :lol:

handbagqueen said:
Steelgoddess said:

Kitchen sink
Toaster
Fridge

yes, I know, thank you! thats what my hubby said when i first showed him the list and said I was off shopping for everything!

Well you know what they say its better to be prepared isnt it, do you think we could use hot water bottles during labour? thats such a godsend on back pain ive found...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back