What Do I Need For My Hospital Bag

My bag is huge! I'm taking my own breast feeding pillow this time as I found it really helped early on with baby's position.
I'm 32 weeks and have almost finished packing. How's everyone else doing? X.

I am due in June, and apart from some pads, baby clothes I have nothing..so i will follow shortly this topic as I need to get ready asap :lol:

I will definitely be packing a face cloth to use as a cold compress on my forehead. Reason for this being that when i was in labour the last time they didnt have anything I could use and they ended up wetting a sanitary towel with cold water and stickingit onto my head!! Talk about feeling like a total idiot, as if labour isnt undignified enough,lol!

oh dear! that made me laugh:)) i will definitely pack a face cloth then, as I do not want any sanitary towels onto my head. :dance:

I hope I don t sound silly but why do we need disposable kickers? :)

Because afterwards you bleed and often leak so disposable knickers can be thrown away rather than having blood soaked knickers to store til you can take them home and wash them....

However, many people find you can pick up packs of cheap black cotton knickers as cheaply as the disposable ones, so if you have a very bad leak, just bin the cotton ones. You also have the option of rinsing them out and putting them in a nappy sack (or regular carrier bag) and taking them home to wash.

It's completely up to you what you do.

I had disposable 'paper' knickers last time, but this time round I only plan to buy a pack or two of black cotton knickers and just wash them out.
I use cloth SanPro so I'm not fazed about washing knickers even if they have a bit of blood on them.

Last edited:
Hi!
Here is my list..I'm making lists for everything at the moment as I have the memory of a goldfish!! (Dali is my dog and Matt is my O.H btw 😆)
Light weight dressing gown
Slippers
Night dress - labour
Pyjamas
Hair band
Headphones
Clothes to go home in
2/3 nursing bras
Breast pads
Maternity pants
Deodorant
2 towels
Hair brush
Tooth brush
Sanitary towels

FOR BABY
2/3 sleep suits/vests
Pack of nappies
Muslin squares
Pack of socks & hats
Car seat
Snowsuit
Going home outfit
Blanket (one to take home for Dali)

MATT
swim shorts ( birthing pool)
Phone charger

Add later
Snacks
Book/iPad
Straws

D X
29+4

Forgot a nightie last time and my arse was hanging out. The midwives got me a dressing gown. With my first I didn't get chance to change 0ut of my clothes so I never thought haha won't be doing that this time! Xx

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if there are any lists on what do I need to buy? I asked my friends and I am not sure what they recommend is enough :(

Hi Wobbles!

Been exactly a year since I had my boy but some things I can still remember being useful.

What I found most useful of all was I had a tendency to pack a small bag for the baby with their things in, a bag for Dad, then a bag for me and then a carrier with food and drinks and we ended up rushing into the hospital with my husband hauling all these bags after us - stressful!

So my main advice is get a small, hard suitcase with the wheels on! The type you take on a small holiday trip! And section if off inside with dividers or put things in small, clear zip bags inside it if you want to keep things organised and separate! The only bag I would have aside from your small suitcase is your partners - which I think should be kept in the boot of the car. He can get that when he needs it.

Useful things for your main suitcase:

Hospital notes
Phone chargers
Phone
Small change

Babies clothes
(I took 12 white and yellow sleep suits, 12 white short sleeve vests, 12 white long sleeve vests, 4 hats, 5 pairs of cotton mittens, 2 warm cardigans and 1 nice warm coat or snowsuit for going home, depending on if its winter when you have your baby)
Baby blankets 3 or 4
(2 really snug one, 2 cellular)
Baby nappies
(A good amount, I took about 28, I suppose it depends how long you are in for)
Baby wipes
(Again, a good amount because Mum can use these too - I took 4/5 packets)
Muslin cloths and bibs
A cuddly toy for baby

Note: if you are planning on feeding your baby formula from the off, I would also get your husband to pack a couple of bottles into the boot and some 1st stage formula and the sterilising equipment to leave in the boot. If you want to breastfeed, remember any pyjamas you pack are best to have buttons down the front so you can do this. If you have room you could also pack an inflatable nursing pillow, these can help first time breast feeders.

Large, black cotton underwear x10
Thick, cosy socks x5
Flipflops/sliders
(especially if you are using a birthing pool)
Large, comfortable, dark baggy night dresses x2
Nice pair of dark or heavily patterned pyjamas for photos once baby is born
Going home outfit
(I would suggest some dark leggings, a comfortable top - get your partner to put a jacket or coat for you in the boot of the car when you want to leave)
Maternity pads
(Be generous, they always come in handy, take a whole box, obviously remove them from the box to pack away)
Make-up
(This depends on the lady but I tried to be minimal here - I just took a great lightening concealer, WATERPROOF MASCARA! I cannot stress that enough! A nice lip balm/gloss, highlighter and some cream blush)
Towels (dark material, x2)
A very light dressing gown if you want, the hospitals are always boiling
Bikini if you are using a birthing pool
Mini travel hairdryer
Your favourite hair product and body wash and moisturiser/brush/comb
Bobbles/head band to tie your hair out of the way because you do not want that annoyance whilst in labour

A few light snacks
Cereal bars, energy sweets, a couple of packets of crackers
A bottle or two of water for labour - after then you can simply drink the tap water if you wanted to pack light.
Bendy straw for bottle of water during labour

Note: Have your baby car seat ready and installed in your car I would say a month before you are due. I know this sounds crazy but figure out how to work it, get it in and out, because most hospitals will not let you take your baby home unless you have the car seat there to take them away when you come to leave.

Extras that you may want to consider but are no way essential:

Battery fairy lights - some women have told me to put these in their hospital room has helped them relax during labour and also act as a night light during the night with their newborn.

A playlist on your phone for labour - again, some women have told me this helps having music on whilst in labour. Everyone is different but if this works for you, it's something nice to have organised just to use if you wanted it at the time or not.

Other extras include nail varnished and nail varnish pad removers. If you are big on your nails and are using a birthing pool, trust me it wrecked havoc with my varnish! I know this sounds crazy but whilst my newborn was napping and my husband was away, I took great pleasure being able to remove my nail varnished and put a fresh coat on. It made me feel human again.

Hope this helps!

PS! Forgot!

Deodorant! If you are breastfeeding, I would recommend a natural deodorant! You can buy them form Holland & Barrett.

Breast Pads
A few maternity Bras
And also, I would highly recommend some after birth healing and cooling cream and also if you are breastfeeding, you can buy nipple cream. Great to have in your hospital suitcase.

All the best,
D x

PPS - headphones if you want to listen to music on your phone to relax maybe.

HA!

This list. No wonder I had so many bags! LOL!

PPS! Tooth brush and paste obviously! Small travel mouth wash came in handy as well.

Oh my God I am DONE!

In my husbands bag I just put:

x2 spare underwear and socks
A fresh set of clothes
1 set of pyjamas (He stayed with us the first night, slept over, I know some hospitals allow this)
Slippers
Phone charger
Drink and crisps
Deodorant and tooth brush/tooth paste

PPPPS!

Run through what and where is in your bag with your partner/husband - then when you shout at them to get something they know where it is!

Another thing I wish I'd down in hindsight with the hubby!

Right that is it I am DONE!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back