What do I need for my hospital bag?

Mamafy

Reaction score
Labour:

Hospital notes
Dark coloured towel for shower/bath after birth
Nightie/pyjamas for birth
Underwear (for walks or to hold pad in if your waters have went)
Music/ipod
Magazines
Snacks
Mobile/change for payphone
Birth plan
Massage oil (if you want your partner to massage your back in labour
Dressing gown
Toiletries
Hairbrush
Camera/video camera
Slippers/flipflops (flipflops are great so feet doesn't have to touch the floors of the showers )
Outfit for baby
Flannels

After birth:

1-2 pairs pyjamas/nighties (depending on how long you plan on staying, more if C/S is likely)
Underwear
Pads
Bra's/nursing bra's
Nursing pads
Nipple cream (especially if you plan on BF)
Make-up (for those 1st pictures)
Going home outfit for you and baby
Clothes for baby
Towel

Reply with your suggestions

Last edited:
OH
Coin bag with lots of change for the machines (incase of middle of night or long labour and cafes close) & some extra money for cafe - Seriously have ready in the bag!
PSP/Hand console
His mobile charger
Lucozade/energy drink
Snacks (chocolate/boiled sweets/crisps)
Camera/spare batteries (best in his bag imo lol)

You could always put something special in his bag like a cigar/new daddy book etc

x

After birth;
Check your hospital provide milk if formula feeding
Anti bac gel
Nappies
Wipes (if using)
Clothes (x5 vests x5 sleepers going home clothes, coat/cardi based on weather for car journey going home, socks, baby slippers, hat, blanket for on way home based on weather).

Wipes - not only for baby (if using) but for Mummy too!

I took my own mug for tea :)

Milton Wipes for wiping bassinet - I was not impressed with the hygiene at the first hospital I went to!

Ear plugs and eye mask

Reading light for book - one that clips on. I just bought one of these to take with me.

hot water bottle for the afterpains/cramps!!

Oh yeah and the ear plugs....I would have paid a tenner for a pair! :lol:

ive been had a baby but my friend told me to take vaseline for ur lips as teh gas and air makes ur lips and mouth really dry so some sour sweets aswell for the dry mouth.
she said she didnt take enough bibs either so plenty of bibs.

vasaline for babys bottom too coz there 1st poo sticks like glue apparently, midwife changed my daughters 1st nappy to show me what to do n she used it :) x

dont but vaseline on your lips whilst having oxygen because it is flammeble!

when i did my oxygen training through uni we were told not to use vaseline on patients lips as it can cause burns x

Girls not preggers yet but have had a babs the natural way delivered with forceps and lotsa stitches and first thing going in my bag next time -

Sea salt and Arnica.

After having DS was in a lot of pain from my stitches so nurse on postnatal recommended a quick (don't want the skin to wrinkle :oooo:) bath with sea salt. If your planning on staying in hossie for a day or two bring some. She said it cleans and sterilises the area and really helps healing and I found it great along with taking Arnica tabs for bruising

Last edited:
Also lavender oil a couple of drops with milk into the bath is great for stitches!! I had this at the hospital straight after id given birth and used it when i got home too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back