**The No Sleep Club**

Well, we've had a slightly better night.
Oscar woke at 11 - 2.30 - 4 (took him into bed here). Woke again at 6.
At least a slight improvement!

Emilia xx

feeling slightly more human this morning!

not too bad a night. ruben went down well at 7pm, me and OH had a lovely dinner and watched a film (nice, although i almost fell asleep on the sofa!). woke him at 10.15pm, turned the lights on, unzipped his grobag and let him wake up by himself. fed him off one breast, then changed his nappy, dimmed the lights and gave him the other breast. he fed really well, and also took 1oz of his top up bottle. put him in his cot when he became drowsy but not fully asleep (this is the classic gina ford "recipe" so far). he fell asleep quickly and was sleeping by 11.15 pm.

he woke at 3.15 for a feed (so i had 4 solid hours of sleep! yay!), which was done with the lights low and without talking to him (gina ford's advice again!) then he went back to sleep at 4am. he then woke up at 5.30am (on reading in the gina ford book this could be because all babies tend to come into light sleep at this time, and some wake up because they are not able to get back into the deep sleep) gave him a cuddle, and he became drowsy and fell asleep again, slept till 6, then woke up and started babbling to himself, so i left him to it until 6.30 when he became grumpy.

gonna have a week of sticking rigidly to the routines of daytime naps and feeds as that worked before - it seems the cold he had just disturbed things for us! if he continues to wake at 5.30am i am going to try and leave him to be grumpy for a while and see if he manages to settle himself again till 7am!

the gina ford book has become my "bible" since it worked so well a few weeks back - keeping the faith and trusting her advice again to see if it works this time round as well!

Hi Petchy

What are the rules for daytime naps? If I'm out alot in the day Olivia sleeps alot in the car seat/in peoples arms so I'd find it tricky trying to keep her awake at set times.

We had success again last night - Olivia slept from 10-4.15, we were going to put her in her own room this weekend but have held off since she's been sleeping better.

Lucy

What are the rules for daytime naps?
it depends on the age of the baby. i try to go out during ruben's lunchtime nap (12-2.30) but i do adapt the routine slightly to fit in if i need to be somewhere. at the moment i am still keeping him on the routine for a 6-8 week old as he didn't seem ready to go onto the 8-12 week routine just yet (i tried and it just didn't work as he is such a hungry baby!!) i think the main thing is not to exceed the max daytime sleeptime, which at the moment for ruben is a max of 4 hours between 7am-7pm.

i do recommend the book, but i don't follow it to the letter as i feel i need to adapt it to suit ruben (and me!)

the book goes into more detail, but the 6-8 week routine involves

- waking at 7am (if i'm lucky! lol)
- naps at: 9-9.45am, 12noon-2.15/2.30pm, 4.30-5pm
- bedtime at 7pm
- feeding at 7am, 10.45am, 2.30pm, 6.15pm, 10.30pm (i adapt these slightly as ruben sometimes can't go the length of time inbetween, so i split the meal into 1/2 when he's starving and 1/2 according to the routine)
-bathtime is at 5.45 just before the evening feed (but ruben has dry skin so i don't bathe him every day. on those days i substitute the bath for a longer relaxing massage session)

hopefully he will be able to move onto the 8-12 week routine soon, but as long as it works for him i'm happy!

he's been in his own room now since 6 weeks and he sleeps better as i don't fuss over him at the slightest noise! when he was in our room i think i went to him to quickly, now it's a little more effort as i have to walk to the next room! i don't see a problem in him being in his own room this early - i have a baby monitor and hear his every grunt!

anyways i'm rambling on! but as i said, the book is brilliant if read with an open approach! (bet you can get one cheap off ebay! i was desperate enough at the time to want it IMMEDIATELY so bought it at full price which is about a tenner)

Hi Petchy - hope you are well.

You could of had my copy. I tried desperatly to follow it but it just wasnt happening. How can you manage to follow it!!!?? what is your secret!??!!! Its seems to be worth it though - Reubens sleeping seems a lot better than most of us are getting with our little ones.

I have copied and pasted your routine and am going to have a another go with it!!! :lol:

What I would like to know though is - say for example I put Heidi down for a nap and she wont settle do I go in and comfort her?? (or is she old enough to be allowed to cry down - if thats what its called, I cant remember!!), and say if this tantrum lasts for an hour or so - you are then out of sync - what happens then??!!!! - this part of it really confuses me and thats why I gave up with it - as she would not settle and a couple of hours would go by, by which time you are out of the timing thing with it.

Like you we put Heidi in her own room at 5 weeks and it has worked very well (well, apart from the grizzling we seem to have recently) But as a whole, her being in her own room suits everyone much better. I think we were too noisy and so was the dog (as the dog also sleeps in our room!!) and like you, every little grunt I was running up and down. I think you hear more on the monitor than if they are in your room! :D

Petchy - any tips would be great!!!!!! :D :D

Lucy - meant to ask on the PM have you moved Olivia yet?

L x

How can you manage to follow it!!!?? what is your secret!??!!!

i think the secret is i don't follow it 100%, but adapt it to suit us both! i haven't let ruben "cry down" properly yet, i can't bear it!!! i think that's prob what i need to do though as i'm desperate for him not to wake up at 5.30am.. if he could just hold out one more hour, i could cope with 6.30!

he usually follows the daytime routine quite well, but today he seems tired and just fell asleep on me "an hour early", which i bet will upset his nap times today!

we should tr to meet up one day lisa, we've been saying this since we were both pregnant!

Petchy - another Gina Ford question!

I have just fed Heidi at 7.30am. Then she fell asleep at 8.15am and is still asleep - so according to the book she isnt supposed to sleep till 9.00am but she wont stay awake I have tried!!? and she just gets ratty and then wont sleep later :? :? - god its frustrating trying to follow it :(

lol, seems we have tired babies today!!!! ruben's refused to stay awake too!

I refused to try Gina Ford as she has never had kids!

I think it's great if you have a baby that responds well to a routine, be it from that book or your own ideas. She does have some useful ideas in the book, but I think it can make vunerable worried moms even worse as their baby doesn't do what it says in the book.

I have come across so many moms that are depressed and upset and anxious they are doing something wrong and are a bad mother, then when I sit them down and talk to them, literally 9 times out of ten they are reading that book!
If it works for you, great, if it doesn't...throw the book away NOW! :lol:

Oh and my update:

Brody woke once between 9 pm and 5.30 am. I can't remember what time it was though :D
After 5 he woke at 7 then 9, so still needs some work but I'm happy he slept a long time at the start of the night :)

Lucy - meant to ask on the PM have you moved Olivia yet?

Not yet, as she was starting to sleep 10-4/5 I wanted to see if that was going to continue. Last night she slept 10-2.30 then 3.30-7 then 7.45 -9

Think we might try her in there tonight , I could swear it was DH's snoring that woke her at 2.30 :wall:

I wouldn't be able to follow the GF thing, I'm not organised enough to try and keep Olivia awake and sleep at certain times! Hope it works for you guys

Lucy x

Happy birthday Olivia - 2 months old !! :dance:

Lol I was up at 2.30 am as well!! us poor mothers up and about at that time lol.

Will PM you in a bit!

L x

i was up feeding at 2.30 too! lol

If it works for you, great, if it doesn't...throw the book away NOW!
yeah i was VERY sceptical, but became desperate and gave it a go! it has made him so much more settled, but i agree you need to be able to read these kind of books with a pinch of salt otherwise if you're an insecure mummy it could make you feel a failure.

he's gone down really well for his lunchtime nap today despite having nap "too early" before so i have a couple of hours to myself! yay!

Happy birthday Olivia - 2 months old !!

yay! not sure how these tickers work cos Olivia was 8 ks on Sat and yesterday the ticker said 1 month weeks 2 days!

Lucy x

How depressing, page 11 of this thread an Brody is STILL waking up every 2 hours, even though he's having solids :?

Snap!!! Oscar alo waking every 1 and a half - 2 hours and not settling great during the day.
I am going to take a back seat until it changes.... if it changes!! :shock:
Emilia xx

Seren was getting up every 2 hours but seems to have settled a bit more, bed at 7pm, awake again at 1.30am and then asleep till about5-6 ish and we will get up at 9am. Still no sleep during the day, if her sleep isn't any better by 17 weeks I am going to start the baby rice and see if that makes a difference. My HV said I should start her on it at 14 weeks but I think that's too early so am waiting to see.

PROGRESS AT LAST!!!

Brody made it from 9.30pm to 2.30 am...That's 5 whole hours!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

We've still got work to do but I'm really pleased that we've made it this far, I think it definitley has to do with the solids he is on, he's having baby cereal for brekkie and home-made puree for tea.

Yippee!!!!

Urchin... :clap: :clap: ...
Is it a possibility to swap the brekkie and dinner around, as I would think cereal will keep him fuller for longer. Just wondering.... a milestone I still have to tackle!!
Oscar has not improved one wee bit - I feel asif I'm doing something wrong. Must say - coping dispite being tired.
DH home for 4 days...... hee-hah!
Well done, Brody!! :clap: :clap:
Emilia xx

Hiya
I'm gonna add a bit of baby rice to his dinner today. Either that or do a couple of spoons of carrot then a couple of banana brekkie for "pudding"

I would swap them around but I think carrot for brekkie sounds a bit odd LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back