That night feed!

give her plenty during day and dont offer it at night. my boy naturally stopped drinking milk during night around 4 months old, and then whenever he woke up, he would have a dummy back then or jus be rocked back to sleep. once you teach them to self soothe that helps too (controlled crying)

If it was that simple as just not offer it at night she wouldn't be here asking lol :)
The tricks that work at 3-4 m like ssssh and pat and rock and things I doubt they will ever sooth back to sleep a 9 m old if she wakes for milk she really wants milk and no way probably to fool her around.
They are far too cheeky and smart at that age :love:
I suppose some babies just don't sleep through until much older and there is not much you can do about it.
Well yeah cc maybe but I would never do it so I am lucky that I have a baby that likes sleep, hates milk and learnt to self sooth by herself or I would still be giving her milk at night ha ha as my hart brakes if she cries a min never mind cry herself to sleep...

The goodnight milk may be a very good idea or at least sth more to try?
When Amelie was 4 m old and she dropped centiles the pediatrician gave us a special cereal for her bottles to up her calories. That was the first night she slept through as
she was so full. Then I suppose it became a habit as now she mostly goes to bed at 7 without milk at all and dinner is at 5.

How was last night??i hope it gets better soon xx

Hi Hun, I tried offering water when Harry was around 7 months and he would just guzzle an entire bottle of it! He just stopped wanting the milk all of a sudden one night. People kept telling me I was making life harder for myself by giving him it but I genuinely don't think that's true! I know it's really hard, especially at 9 months but I would just give her what she wants, she will drop it when she's ready xxx

It really isn't a simple thing, I'm asking on the verge of desperation! This is how my night was trying water.....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371711191.524330.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371711191.524330.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 16
7pm bottle and bed
8pm awake, standing up, I put her down, she sits up, down, up, down, up finally a cuddle then she's asleep
10pm repeat above
12pm repeat above with 4oz water
2am as above another 4oz water and the first night happy change in 6 months because she was soaked :( 2:45am she goes back to sleep
5:45am the longest stretch, 3oz milk and cuddles in bed with me
7:15am up we get....

So as you can see it isn't a matter of just leaving her, I may offend some but there is NO WAY I can let her cry, I spent the first 6 months of her life building our relationship breast feeding, building our bond and trust so I can't not let her cry, in my eyes that's breaking her trust in me by not doing what I should and soothing her, feeding her or tending to whatever her needs are....the thought of her crying wanting me just breaks my heart so that's never going to happen!

I've tried water before but I will try again for 3 nights, I worry she's drinking too much now, I google it at 3am and read it could kill a child, I can't sleep, I rack my brains with what else I can do, I will try get another bottle in her some point in the day, but the reason we dropped a bottle was because she wouldn't eat much dinner so was waking HUNGRY!

She's never had a dummy and I'm not going to start one now, I'm thank full of everyone's posts but if your baby has slept through since 4 months, or just dropped their night feed etc, you really can't understand this as you haven't experienced it, B has never been a perfect sleeper but nothing this bad... She had a cold, tooth came through and this is where it's got us now.....

Oh I've also tried porridge before bed...results in all of porridge and last bottle all over the both of us :( x

The pic before is B now! Playing with the devil bottle.....agghh!!

Oh no you must be exhausted! She's not giving that bottle up without a fight! X

You must be exhausted I don't know what else to suggest I wouldn't let her cry either I haven't got it in me. She has far more than what Ava has through the day. I'd try it for the next 2 nights if not I'd assume she wants the milk and she isn't waking out of habbit! X

(((Big hugs))) - I'm quite anti cry it out/cry it out - if your LO is crying she's trying to tell you something, it's her only way to communicate - so I totally get why you don't wanna do that.

Personally I'm a big fan of mums instinct in this situation, if your feeling uncomfortable with trying to force this. Then let her have to bottle. It's not the end of the world. It will NOT be a rod for your back etc, she's still only little and many many many children her age wake for milk during the night! (The medical definition of sleeping through is 5hrs!!!) Society puts immense pressure on us mums to have babies who sleep, but remember her wee tummy is the size of her fist (it's still tiny) so she could be genuinely hungry!!! X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

7pm bottle and bed
8pm awake, standing up, I put her down, she sits up, down, up, down, up finally a cuddle then she's asleep
10pm repeat above
12pm repeat above with 4oz water
2am as above another 4oz water and the first night happy change in 6 months because she was soaked :( 2:45am she goes back to sleep
5:45am the longest stretch, 3oz milk and cuddles in bed with me
7:15am up we get....

So as you can see it isn't a matter of just leaving her, I may offend some but there is NO WAY I can let her cry, I spent the first 6 months of her life building our relationship breast feeding, building our bond and trust so I can't not let her cry, in my eyes that's breaking her trust in me by not doing what I should and soothing her, feeding her or tending to whatever her needs are....the thought of her crying wanting me just breaks my heart so that's never going to happen!

I've tried water before but I will try again for 3 nights, I worry she's drinking too much now, I google it at 3am and read it could kill a child, I can't sleep, I rack my brains with what else I can do, I will try get another bottle in her some point in the day, but the reason we dropped a bottle was because she wouldn't eat much dinner so was waking HUNGRY!

She's never had a dummy and I'm not going to start one now, I'm thank full of everyone's posts but if your baby has slept through since 4 months, or just dropped their night feed etc, you really can't understand this as you haven't experienced it, B has never been a perfect sleeper but nothing this bad... She had a cold, tooth came through and this is where it's got us now.....

Oh I've also tried porridge before bed...results in all of porridge and last bottle all over the both of us :( x

The pic before is B now! Playing with the devil bottle.....agghh!!

Big hug Hun, I know how tough it is because C is a serious milk monster. I have no i

Yea I wondered if she could be genuinely hungry but out of all the wakes she only took 4oz of water twice, she didn't need anything the other wakes so she didn't need milk or water then so why is she waking??? I'm trying the 3 nights of water and will try get a other bottle in the day somewhere and see what happens, she's at my dads for the night sat so will prob sleep trough then!!! I'm hitting the cocktails and knocking myself out that night! X

Sorry that I can't come with a good idea :( probably you tried everything already.

I noticed that Amelie is in a deeper sleep after 9 o'clock.
Would it work maybe to give her a late nap at like 5 and then bedtime at around 9 o'clock?

I really feel for you. It was poor luck that my baby sleeps trough. I have a job that patients have me up all night and some times I get no sleep at all and its a killer and its only 2 nights per week. I can't even imagine doing that every night and then go to work.
:hug:
Hopefully someone can come with better suggestions.
I dropped all the bottles now as she simply dosent drink them. I now offer milk exactly after every meal so if she didn't get full from the solids she can have milk too without cutting her appetite for her next solid meal as the bottle is part of the previous meal ifykwim. Maybe that would work? A baker with milk instead of an extra bottle?

Was having a dig at u Hun, B loves her milk when she has it! I don't know what else I can do after trying with water.... I will just have to feed her! Sometimes she has had a late nap a d gone to bed 9 ish but that's not made any difference ;( x

Just realised - how old is she?? I'm on phone so can't see tickets?? X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I think if a baby is waking in the night and drinking a reasonable amount of milk, they obviously need it. We've been pretty lucky with our LO as she's slept through of her own accord, dropping the night feed at 4 months old, but when she's had bad nights and woken and started to cry, we've worked through the whole nappy and feed routine. She never wanted milk in the night and point-blank refused the bottle. I think the very fact that your LO is taking so much milk has to be a sign that she still needs it.

It's really a case of deciding if it's definitely that she's hungry or that she just wants attention. If it's attention, then if it were me I'd be laying her back down in her cot, putting the mobile back on and leaving the room. Repeating every time she cries. I'm not a fan of letting a baby cry, but they do reach a point where the crying can be for attention rather than any real need, if that makes sense!

Probably been no help whatsoever, but I really feel for you x

Sorry pressed send to early!

C wakes for a feed at 10pm and will not settle without it, we tried water but he just got angry. After his feed he will go through to 6am and I have no idea how much milk C drinks in one sitting but if I express he will down 5Oz so he must be getting more from me? I genuinely feel he needs and wants milk, despite now having three meals a day.

In our desperation we tried CIO for two nights, both of which were to drop the 2am feed. It lasted 5minutes on the first night and a minute on the second he has slept 10-6 ever since. I was going through a tough time then and I hated doing it but clearly that feed wasn't necessary but he didn't ever feed for long at 2am and would fall asleep very quickly. At 10pm it is a different story.

I don't have a solution but I just wanted to share my experiences. I do think there is far too much competition and pressure to get our LOs to sleep through.

C is stubborn as anything and I have tried to learn to accept that he will do things in his own time. So I do agree with your gut instincts as a mother. Xx

Thanks girlies but like I said, I can't let her cry! It doesn't matter how many people say to try it, I simply can't do it to her! I know I will hate myself for it! So for me I have to find other ways, I'm sure I can't be alone in this!!! X

I think if you can't let her cry, even for the shortest amount of time, you're just going to have to go with her having her night feeds until she gives up on them. I can't see any other way (someone else might be able to help). I honestly think though from what you've said that she needs her night feed still, rather than it just being attention-seeking.

Yea I agree but she wakes and doesn't want a bottle before midnight, I don't mind feeding her at night it's all the other wakes before abc after the feed I can't deal with, that's why I'm giving water to see if she really is hungry, I need to do if for a few nights to know... On the plus side she just took 5oz at 10am and has find to sleep in the car! Very early nap for her she must be tired! Going to give her lots of milk today! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back