That night feed!

twinkles

Reaction score
B wakes for about 4/5oz in the night around 2/3am and has a further 5/6 oz around 6am! She must be hungry yea??? How can I get her to drop that 2/3am feed, she is on 3 meals a day plus finger food, she has about 4/5oz before her nap in the day and the same before bed so in 24 hours she drinks around 17/20 oz! X

Have you tried giving her water Ava used to wake around the same time it was out of habit so we gave her water for 2 days 3rd night it was dummy back in and she hasn't woke since! We leave a bottle of weak squash in her cot now and I go In at half 6 and she is sat in her cot drinking and she lays back down and goes back to sleep till 7! X

Have you tried to resettle without milk?

If she's getting calories at night it might be lowering her appetite for food in the day so she's not eating enough solids (and hence waking in the night).

She eats 3 meals plus snacks?? And drinks a lot of milk, I tried water but that resulted in her drinking the full 6oz and still wanting milk, then bring up for and hour trying to settle ;( I've tried the water twice! Might be worth trying again.... I was wondering if she's having 5/6 oz she must be hungry?? X

Ava would take 8 Hun as she was awake I think she though o well if your prepared for a few nights disturbed sleep give her the water but try and settle her without milk it takes 3 days to change a babies habits lot take to it sooner some yet they're luck but if your willing to give it a shot! I would! X

What time does she have her last bottle before bed? you could try giving her a dream feed before you go to bed (say somewhere around 11pm) and that might see her through til the morning then. We used to do it with my first little girl

I'm not keen on starting dream feeds at 9 months, she goes down at 7/8pm and sleeps 6/7 hours before waking, I think I would be trying to stop dream feeds at this age rather than start??? X

My son wanted milk at night until 17 months. He would not sleep without it. No amount of water or resettling would make a difference.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Maybe this is what B needs too??? Ahh so hard to know what to do! X

Hmmmm this is a hard one, my LO isn't quite this age yet but she sounds to be getting loads of milk and food during the day... Maybe it's just habit or has she just recently started?

All I know is with Jackson when he's hungry he's hungry and nothing but milk will settle him.

Sorry I'm not much use hun, but I feel for u xxxx

I can deal with getting up once as she's fed and back to sleep usually pretty fast, I don't think it's a habit because she's drinking 5/6oz??? But saying that she does it every night! She had 5oz at 1:30am and another 5oz at 6am and is back asleep! Within 10 mins both times.... I would just love the early hours feed dropped!!! Maybe she just needs the extra milk in the night??? X

Why don't you make up a smaller bottle if she settles after 4 oz then it's out of habit and wean her off lowering the bottle every few days before replacing it with water and feed her in her cot don't pick her up! X

I think some babies need more milk than others ore more liquids that is as calorie wise I doubt she needs more as she is eating enough during the day it seems.
What I would personally do is offer milk after each solid meal plus the milk at morning and night so around 5 bottles to make super sure she gets a big amount of milk during the day.
I would also offer a dream feed at 11 before i go to bed to try and eliminate the 1.30 feed so hopefully then i would get 11-6 sleep that sounds quite manageable.
Once she is sleeping 11-6 I would try to lower e amount of milk that give her at 11.
I know you don't like the idea of dream feed though but it still seems better to me than a 1.30 feed?
No idea if it will work obviously as she may wake at 3 and 6 :(

Some babies just need it. Personally if you've tried the water a couple of times and she's not having it I'd just let her get on with it.

I genuinely don't understand why people think that babies who have yet to master walking/talking etc are clever enough to think 'if I cry long enough she'll eventually give me the milk!'

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I don't think baby's are that savvy to think like that, I just couldn't let a baby cry, I don't think they are clever enough to think 'crying isn't working, I will just sleep!'

Thanks anyway girls, I will try everything again, water, lowering ounces, think I will start with trying to put her back to sleep without the milk! Sleepless night ahead I expect!! X

I'm with you I couldn't let Ava cry I think she was ready to go without and it was habit with her but all babies are different! Let us know how you get on! X

Well last night she fell asleep instantly after the bottle which I'm trying to stop because she sleeps better if she goes down awake! She went down at 7 and woke 3 times before midnight, once of those times she wanted milk! Then again at 3:30 :( not a great night! X

Have you tried goodnight milk? Millie was the same as B, going down for 7.30-8pm and waking around 2-3 for a feed of 6oz and sleeping till 6.30... It's very thick and she struggled to get it out of the bottle to start with, so I add a couple of scoops to her milk before bed: 5oz of her normal milk plus 3oz of goodnight milk and last night was the first time she's ever slept through! Hope it wasn't a fluke, but I'm gonna try in again tonight to see if it works again! During the day she has 3 meals, no snacks, and 18-24oz of milk...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back