Temperatures for nursery / place baby sleeps?

JJ Mum

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

We got a free room thermometer for putting where baby sleeps with a baby magasine and have been testing it out over the last week.

we have the moses basket sitting inside the cot bed , in our bedroom, where it will live most of the time due to lack of space.

We have the card thermometer sitting proped up in the moses basket side for now and have been getting a temperature of 18 degrees c and it says just right.

Now we are both finding the room cold at the moment, but wasn't last week, when thermometer was reading higher and saying warm!!

What temp are you using? wondering if thermometer is too sheltered by sittgin in moses basket and needs to be mounted on wall?

Thanks, Jenni

I always found that what was comfortable to me was too warm according to thermometer so I'm not bothering this time,just gonna follow my instinct xx

Anything from 16-20ºC is ok, then 21-24ºC is too warm and anything higher is too hot. When we initially came home we were told to have the room temp around 21ºC as it was that warm in hospital (if not warmer) and as Tomos was still really small. I bought a gro egg thermometer and have it in the bedroom, and now the room is usually between 18-20ºC, and I'll have Tomos wearing a vest and a sleep suit, and will have a sheet folded in half so its like two layers on him, but he always seems to get his arms out and ends up with cold hands but otherwise he's nice and toastie.

Any news on a date Jenni?

I am exactly the same as you JJ, got s freebie one, it's currently in Moses basket and reading just right. It's a little chilly to me but I think that is just right with them wearing a nappy, vest, babygrow and a layer of sheet then blanket. So I guess if they have all these layers then they aren't going to be cold, that's what I'm thinking anyway haha. X

Iv got a thermometer but I use it for the walls just to look pretty. Ive never followed it lol. I go on instinct tbh and Paige has always seemed comfortable. I do admit to maybe putting a layer or 2 more than I should but shes never been upset by it and I always check the back of her neck to check shes not too warm.

Charley finds 18 too cold so our room is always around 20. Even if I put extra layers on him, he still won't sleep well at 18.

Chloé won't sleep unless it's around 20/21 we turn the heating off half am hour b4 jams and it's around 20ish then and drops to about 18 when she falls asleep x

Interesting isn't it, pretty pointless guidelines as babies are all different! X

Interesting isn't it, pretty pointless guidelines as babies are all different! X

yes and it really depends on what they have on and what the weather is like outside!

Last edited:
yeah we find that Ellie has a restless sleep if the room temp goes below 21 but when she was in the neonatal unit it was 30 degrees in there so she is used to the heat xx

Thanks lots girls, that agrees with what we think then too- I think I will go with gut instinct at the time then for my little baby! yayyy

weel I went and bought the groegg thermometer today and plugged it in and what I thought was way to cold was actually 20c and that is ideal and what I thought was ideal was 24c and way to hot crazy lol

I've got the gro egg too - it's great! We seem to be around 19/20 which seems fine.

yeah it well funky lol I like the way the egg changes colour x

I love the colour changes too - but would much prefer the blue colour on all the time, but then it would be way too cold for me not even to mention Tomos. Last night had it about 22ºC and Tomos slept from 3am to 7am so can't complain about that. xx

yeah e find that when its sits just outside the "correct" temperature Ellie sleeps better she is like her mummy and hates being cold xx

I think I am overheating my child!

Our house is always about 21-22 and I have him in a long sleeved vest and babygrow. Then he has the following (all doubled over) a cotton sheet, fleece blanket and knitted wool blanket. Too much?

His hands are always freezing!

I think I am overheating my child!

Our house is always about 21-22 and I have him in a long sleeved vest and babygrow. Then he has the following (all doubled over) a cotton sheet, fleece blanket and knitted wool blanket. Too much?

His hands are always freezing!

I think if you followed the official advice then yes its too many layers, but if he's not feeling too hot and uncomfertable then I guess its ok. With so many layers on him though the heat of the actual room won't really reach him as he's so well insulated. Tomos always has cold hands as he hates them being covered up and doesn't like being swaddled so he pushes his sheet down and has his hands and arms out.

Islas room is 21-22c as well, if her hands are under the blanket she wakes herself up when she does her composser impressions! She has a fleece sheet under her that I fold over top of her, then a knitted blanket over top of that, folded in two. She has expensive taste and will only sleep under mamas and papas blankets, they seem to be heavy enough to stop her kicking it off, cheaper blankets are off within minutes!

I'm tempted to try a sleepbag, cos I have a fair few, might try tonight

Emma

oh the grobags (sleepbags) are the best wee Ellie is drowned in hers but she loves it though xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back