Sunbathing - can bump get too hot?

Small Flower

Reaction score
Morning girls!

I was just wondering if there is a limit on sunbathing your bump?

I was in the garden this w/e soaking up the sun with my bump out and it occurred to me that maybe I shouldn't be? Mind you if I had pulled my top down over bump - surely bump would've been hotter?

I enjoy a good sunbathe - and also off on holiday in 2 weeks.

What are you thoughts?

I'm not sure, but when I was pg with DS my waters broke just after coming in from sunbathing in the garden all day, so maybe it was too hot for him in there and he just wanted to get the hell outta there! At least I had tan when I was screaming in agony a few hours later though!!!

Read this in connection with getting hot due to exercise, but might still ring true. The baby is always hotter than mum - so remember the hotter you get, the baby is always hotter.

Jimmer

Personally i think i'll start getting too hot before she does, you have to think about how your body regultes its temperature, i went out during the week and after an hour felt i was too hot so went in, Tally was quite happy in there and behaved as she always does, same kicking pattern same strength of kicks. However... I did find that after only an hour in the sun my chest and feet had gone a little red and although they didnt hurt i think if i'd been out any longer i'd have burnt. I never burn, not usually, and i'd never consider wearing lotion for an hour outside, my skin is so much more sensitive now i'm pregnant, and if i go out today i'm going to have to wear lotion.

This is what i found online, kinda says what i just said except its articulated better lol

Serious and prolonged overheating is dangerous for you and your baby as your resting body temperature is already elevated during pregnancy and if raised significantly further it may pose a risk to development.

If you are in the early stages of pregnancy you should take special care to remain adequately protected from the sun as research has suggested that exposure to UV rays lowers the level of folate in blood. Folate is especially important in preventing abnormal development of the spinal cord and brain during early pregnancy. This is why it is recommended that you take folic acid supplements throughout the first trimester.Sunbathing during pregnancy is not generally recommended because of the risk of skin damage, overheating and dehydration. However as long as you take special precautions to protect yourself from the sun's heat you should be able to spend time outdoors and enjoy the warm weather without harming yourself or your baby (although your tan might have to suffer a little)

I forgot to quote the bit that says that the link with sun and folate in blood is not heavily prooven and they do not know at what levells it would affect baby, though they think it would probaby have to be muc higher then the sun could produce

How about ladies in foreign hot countries?

I wondered about this too especially when i was on holiday and couldn't find anything to tell me to specifically stay out of the sun so I didn't.
I personally think its just best to take it a bit easier in the sun. i used to be a tanning fiend and strip off whenever there was a sliver of sunshine but when I was on hols I sat in the shade for most of the time and made sure I drank loads and loads. Wore a hat and if I felt myself getting too hot in the sun i'd get into the shade. Oh and i also slapped on factor 30, usually very naughty and wear low factor oil but was worried about getting that 'mask of pregnancy thing' as our skin can react differently to the sun when pregnant.
I am so much more conscious of being too hot as don't want bubs to be swimming around in boiling water! I don't think this actually happens- just in my overractive imagination!
I was out in the sun yesterday and just found without a cool sea breeze and pool to jump into I got way too hot so just kept going inide for cool drinks. Just don't forget to slap on the lotion but enjoy it while it lasts I say! 8)

I too thought about this last week whilst sunning myself, I normally don't burn at all as I have sallow skin, but I managed to burn face, belly, and legs with a factor 10 on!

I panicked and called my MW as I thought I might have a "Boil in the bag" baby. :oops:

She told me to relax as baby will be ok and just make sure I use a higher factor in future as skin is more sensitive in pregnancy, make sure I stay adequately hydrated with lots of drinks, don't lie flat on my back for long periods and try not to sit in it during 12.00pm to 15.00pm.... same as you would normally be told even if not preggie (apart from the lying on your back thing!)

Cxxx

I have noticed for the first time in 11years I have actually got a tan! Yesterday we went to the zoo and after walking around for a few hours I got really sleepy and had to keep sitting. We found a drinks place and sat down for a while and had a really cold drink in the shade and I soon felt better so I think you know when baby starts feeling hot and wants you to go take a rest. I was looking at suncream today but Im going to get it online because no way is £12 a bottle right!!!!!

nickilubs said:
I was looking at suncream today but Im going to get it online because no way is £12 a bottle right!!!!!

OH Got Tescos own suncream for £3.50 and it seems to be doing the trick! :D

HideiLu said:
nickilubs said:
I was looking at suncream today but Im going to get it online because no way is £12 a bottle right!!!!!

OH Got Tescos own suncream for £3.50 and it seems to be doing the trick! :D

Ahh brilliant I'm so glad I didn't buy it! I was looking and I wasn't sure of how much it should be and a lady started talking to me saying it was ridiculous and she would rather get cooked than pay that!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back