Macy Cole - 12.03.12

littlemuffin

Reaction score
I didn’t think I had the longest story but now I have written it, I think I have changed my mind. I know in my life this will be one of the best stories I will ever tell. How I brought in to the world the most amazing and wonderful little girl.

Sunday 11th March

I got up with a sore back and thought that having a really nice hot bath would help, but I was to find out that the gents that had been fixing the water mains in our village had cut through the gas mains, and this had to be turned off. So no gas= no boiler= no hot water. This was one of those moments when you think ok, how funny would it be if the baby decided to come, as they had to turn it off for a week. So all day I was having lower back pain, like you get a work when you have been sitting too long. We went out for dinner to the harvester, and I was sooo hot, I was sitting in a tank top and I was all red. Nothing could stop my thirst, so it was an early night that night.

I was having the best dream, but I kept telling myself, you need to get up and go to the loo. So up I get, and I started feeling a period pain feeling, thought nothing of it, as I had been having them for a couple of weeks. But they started coming and going.

3am

I got up and went downstairs and sat watching Maury and Jerry Springer. I had an app on my phone that times contractions, so I started that. They didn't feel how I thought they would. They were like a rubber band around my pelvis, and it was being pulled then let go, but you could feel it going round my back then a period pain feeling. I was told that it would feel going up my bump and back down. So I was confused, and thought that it might be false labour.

4.30am

I went and woke my DH, as I was timing them they were coming 3 in every 15 minutes, lasting from a range of 30 seconds to 60.
He was funny, I bent down next to him, and said "baby, I think it's time" - He said back "Time for what". I kind of stayed quiet and let him figure it out. He then got up and had a (cold) shower, and came and sat with me.

8am

I wanted my mum with me for the birth and we had this from the beginning of my pregnancy. At 8, Steve my DH went and picked her up - She lives 2 minutes up the road, in the next village, so they were back by 8. I got back in to bed, and put on Twilight on DVD, don’t ask me why, I think I wanted something to take my mind off it, and I love the film, then my mum arrived she came in and had some toast. (She had to walk the dog, and didn’t have time for breakfast) By now the contractions were coming thick and fast 3 in every 10 minutes lasting 60 seconds. My waters hadn't broken, but we called the hospital. I had a chat with them, and they said to come in when 3 in every 5 minutes last 60 seconds.

The contractions were fine, I was breathing through them, and using everything I had learnt at Yoga, I thought they would be a lot worse, but I was happy and chatting.

We then were joking about OBEM from the Wednesday before with the woman eating a chocolate bar, and my mum said she hadn't seen it, so we all sat down and watched that. Yes me in labour watching someone else do it. I was walking round the living room, and leaning over the sofa, and the poof became my sitting block I was on it on all fours. Still breathing through them, I hadn’t taken anything, and I felt good.

10am

I started feeling sick, at this point Steve and my mum started saying maybe we should make a move. I was still happy at home, but asked Steve to call the hospital and let them know I will be coming in at some point, the contractions were every 3 in 6 minutes, so we were not far away. I was sick when getting all my stuff together, I wanted to leave it another 30 minutes, but they both got me in the car.

The hospital is 30 minutes away, so we are driving along and listening to the radio, had to ask Steve to slow down a few times.

When we got there the contractions were still not terrible, just had to stand still through them. I found at home and in the hospital the best thing to do was give someone a cuddle when they were happening, it was more comfort than anything else.
We went up to see how far gone I was, we had to sit in the waiting room with all the ladies that were waiting for their midwives appointments, for scans and check up's. I was sitting next to a man and partner, and when I had a contraction she said, Ohh I remember that feeling.

I kept asking Steve if I was meant to be sitting there, and if I was in the wrong place, but we had our walk round 2 weeks before, and I knew it was right. I had a student midwife Lisa come and take me to a room, she asked if she could put a monitor on for 20 minutes.
She came back after 10 minutes, and said they were looking quite strong, so could she check and see how far gone I was. I was really happy at this point, made me feel like this wasn't false and we were meant to be there. I did say to her that if I was only 1cm, I was not going to be happy.
She then checked, looked at me a bit funny, and said I am a student so I want to get a midwife to check you, as I can feel your baby’s head, and think you are 5cm. I couldn’t believe it.
So the midwife came in and said the same thing, I was over the moon, I had made it to 5cm, breathing at home. And I wasn’t in pain! It was just sore.

The midwife said she doesn’t see a lot of people at 5cm and happy like I was, and I should go and have a coffee in the canteen, and have a walk about, as that will make the baby come quicker. So I went to the loo, I was sick again, and then I have a bout of needing the loo, so I said I think I would like to go on to the labour ward, and that I wanted a water birth and is there a pool available. We all walked round, me puffing away.
When we got in the room there was a massive digital clock on the wall, and it said 11:45. So this is when it was all starting, I was at the hospital in labour, in my room.

After 45 minutes, my mum got down to my level, and said Katie, I think it’s time you had gas and air. I was bending over the bed, and kept saying Oh Gosh. Not once did I swear through my labour, I thought I would, but you never know what your brain does. I was worried about having gas and air, because if I had ages to go, I didn’t want pain relief and then need more later, and not be able to have it, But the midwife agreed, said I was too far gone for anything now, and then I went on to gas and air, the most fantastic, wonderful stuff. If I could take it home, I would!

The pool was ready, and I got in, bloody hell was it hot! I still had my gas and air, and loving it. But then my waters came out as a bulge, and they had to be popped, that was not nice. My midwife Catherine, kept saying to me, you are amazing, and this is why you are doing it not men! – She said this a few times.

I kept trying to get my bum out of the water as it was too hot, and I wanted to cool my body off, I was told off for this, as I have to keep my bump under water, they could see the top of the head, and I was told if I wanted to push I could. I didn’t take much notice as I didn’t. But then the midwife said to my mum who was behind me, to take the gas and air away from me, as I was doing anything, I then cried at my husband (he is soft!) and said please don’t do this to me, can you take me home. – Don’t know what I was thinking, take me home! Another thing I kept teling him was that I had his favourite sweets in the bag, there I was meant to be pushing and worrying about him eating. I then said I was too hot and I didn’t like the water, so please could I get out. Out we got, I was back on the bed lying down, the one position I didn’t want to be in, we had learnt at yoga it is a harder delivery. At this point it was 15:00, and my second midwife Georgina came in to take over, but Catherine didn’t want to leave me, so I had 3 in total, 2 midwives and 1 student (on her first day!) Then they told me that baby’s head is showing, do I want to feel it (no I didn’t) so I had to push. I kept telling her but I don’t feel like I want to push, I didn’t want a poo. They all had a laugh at that. But they kept telling me, so I started pushing, with everything I had, and had a good scream, and at 15:09 baby Macy came in to the world, she was put straight on me, and Catherine cut the cord, as Steve didn’t want to. She didn’t cry, just looked at us all. It was really quiet.

I was then told that as she had her hands across her face I would need stiches, I had to wait an hour as I had been in the water. That was a quick hour, everyone had a hold, and she was as quiet as a button. Then I was stitched up, and then the most horrible thing, I was told that they needed to see I could stand ok, so had to have a shower, they have en suits so I left the door open, and was in there for 5 minutes. After getting back in to bed, I had an apple, and felt better.
I will always say I had a natural labour, as I didn’t have anything but gas and air, and that was only for an hour and a half.

It was an amazing experience, I had a fantastic pregnancy, fantastic labour, and now when I look at her all the pain was worth it, to see my family so happy.

I will give some tips if you have to have stiches, when having a wee, lean forward and touch your toes, and when trying to have your first poo, put loads of books under your feet to lift your knees up. It’s scary every time you want to go to the loo, but after 2-3 days its fine.

Attachments

• Steve & Macy - Just Born 15.47 (2).jpg
    Steve & Macy - Just Born 15.47 (2).jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Grandmar James and Macy 15.57.jpg
    Grandmar James and Macy 15.57.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0492.jpg
    DSC_0492.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0532.jpg
    DSC_0532.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 39
What a great story!!

You did very well managing like that. And your little girl is a princess Awww.

Congrats!! X

You did amazing :) huge congrats! she is gorgeous! xxx

You did so well!! Your little girl is a stunner x

What a lovely positive story, well done!

Congratulations shes beautiful xx

You did so well! well done! congratulations she is beautiful and i love her name x

Congrats! She is lovely and well done - sounds like you did really well.

Beautiful baby and such a good story! I hope mines as good as yours!

She is absolutely gorgous...and thanks for the tip :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back