Smoking when pregnant... RANT alert!

Kelly450

Reaction score
Now this post wont go down nicely with some people I am sure. But why get pregnant if your going to carry on smoking!? I think it is SO selfish!

Im getting extremely annoyed at walking in the fresh air and having puffs of smoke blown in my face. I think if u want to smoke then do it in your own house and not in my face! Ruin your walls and ceilings and clothes, but dont ruin me!

Secondly, im extremely annoyed at the people two doors down (where the lady is pregnant) and they are out there in their garden smoking weed every single day! So I have to close my back door and the bedroom window as the smell then drifts into my house!

Fair enough people smoke but why should I have to suffer from the smoke in MY face!? Surely people can manage to walk past me before blowing smoke all over the place im standing!

Im sick to death of seeing mums with babies in their prams and smoking right in their babies faces! Or pregnant people selfish enough to still smoke!

Argh. Big rant, but it really pisses me off! And most ppl stink of smoke which is disgusting! Go wash your coat as you smell stale! Yuck!

Sent from my GT-I9300

I hear what you are saying !! I was at the maternity and a heavy pregnant lady was happily smoking right next to me !!! I was like what the hell

I used to be a smoker but quit as soon as I got my BFP. I completely agree with what you're saying! I never had the willpower to quit before (tried and failed many times) but there will never be a bigger incentive to stop smoking than the idea that you could be harming your baby. I do feel sorry for people who really struggle to quit - but some women just don't seem to care and openly smoke while they're pregnant - apart from anything else I wouldn't have the nerve to smoke in public with a bump - imagine the comments you'd get!!

I've had to go to the assessment clinic twice - it's on the ground floor and both times we had people stood directly outside the open window smoking - I'm too polite/soft to say anything but it really pissed me off! It's a maternity unit FFS! There is a clear area marked for smoking but no-one seems to use it...

Ha - I added to your rant! :)

I'm with you 110%! I cannot stand it! Thankfully my extended family who do smoke (uncles etc) do so outside so I can be indoors even at their homes but dubious about. When baby born as dont want them expecting cuddles when they stink of smoke! =\ x

Ha - I added to your rant! :)

I know what you mean as I do feel sorry for those who struggle to quit when they really want to. Its just those who will happily smoke while pregnant I think are very selfish. And I also would hate knowing how people look down upon you if you do it. I won a bottle of lambrini on a facebook comp the other day and got a voucher to go get it instore. I had to send my OH. Although I wont be drinking it until baby has arrived, I didn't want to buy it cause I didnt want to give the wronf impression to people!

Smoking right outside maternity!? People must either be conpletely stupid or pure selfish!

I am glad im not alone in my views. And love your rant haha
Its not that I dislike smokers, I just think people can be more considerate and less selfish. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

I'm with you 110%! I cannot stand it! Thankfully my extended family who do smoke (uncles etc) do so outside so I can be indoors even at their homes but dubious about. When baby born as dont want them expecting cuddles when they stink of smoke! =\ x

Yes I know what you mean. My grandma sometimes socially smokes and thats always outside. But if she comes in and smells of smoke, id not want her cuddling the baby xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

We moved because our old vile next door neighbour used to smoke right by the fence that was next to our back door so we could smell it all the time! Got to the point where we couldn't have doors open in the summer cause she'd be out there puffing away all day.

Personally don't understand why anyone smokes now! Why would you even start knowing the health risks.

I work in central London, and as soon as I step out of the tube you either get people smoking right by the door so you have to walk through a cloud, or they light up as they are walking down the street when I'm right behind them. So annoying!

I smoked heavily (around 25 a day), but knew I wanted to try for a baby. So before trying I gave up. It wasnt easy, I suffered that bad anxiety I actually thought it would be the end of me! But I knew there was no way I would consider trying for a baby while I smoked. In my opinion it is selfish to even consider getting pregnant while you smoke, but I do feel for people who have not planned the pregnancy. Giving up smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

However there was a woman in work last year who was pregnant. She smoked a lot, and I remember another collegue saying to her while she was smoking 'still smoking with a baby in there?' her reply was 'he loves it, he's proper addicted, I can feel a kick every time I light one!!' That comment made me sick, I have never spoken to the woman since.

I feel the exact same way about smoking when pregnant and it's disgusting! There's a girl at work who's little girl has really bad asthma and loads of chest problems, now I'm not saying its definitely linked, but I constantly feel like saying to her "well maybe you should have stopped smoking when you were pregnant!!" I wouldn't have said she was a heavy smoker but 1 cigarette is too many in my opinion!

I smoked heavily (around 25 a day), but knew I wanted to try for a baby. So before trying I gave up. It wasnt easy, I suffered that bad anxiety I actually thought it would be the end of me! But I knew there was no way I would consider trying for a baby while I smoked. In my opinion it is selfish to even consider getting pregnant while you smoke, but I do feel for people who have not planned the pregnancy. Giving up smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

However there was a woman in work last year who was pregnant. She smoked a lot, and I remember another collegue saying to her while she was smoking 'still smoking with a baby in there?' her reply was 'he loves it, he's proper addicted, I can feel a kick every time I light one!!' That comment made me sick, I have never spoken to the woman since.

I believe that is what women should do when they want a baby. And I respect to for managing to do it. Well done :)

As for the lady from your work.. what a nasty vile comment. That poor baby! I hope he was a nightmare when he arrived because I bet in some way he was addicted to the fags already! :-( xx
Sent from my GT-I9300

OMG that is appalling!!! X

I feel the exact same way about smoking when pregnant and it's disgusting! There's a girl at work who's little girl has really bad asthma and loads of chest problems, now I'm not saying its definitely linked, but I constantly feel like saying to her "well maybe you should have stopped smoking when you were pregnant!!" I wouldn't have said she was a heavy smoker but 1 cigarette is too many in my opinion!

I agree. Although the two probably are not linked, she wasnt doing much to help her child was she.

I know its not got anything to do with us how other people spend their pregnancy etc.

But so many women and couples cant have children and you would think that those who can would feel blessed and try stop the bad habits.. atleast through the pregnancy. Its very unfair and if I couldnt have children I know how angry id be at some of the poor excuses for parents and the selfishness some of them possess xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Competely agree. I used to smoke but gave up when i found out i was pregnant. I wont lie, its the hardest thing in the world and i still want one now sometimes but i havent caved once because i cannot bear the thought of my baby taking in the smoke and not having a choice. I saw a heavily pregnant woman smoking outside the hospital once and it took all my energy not to walk over and have it out with her, its so disappointing to see x

I agree. Although the two probably are not linked, she wasnt doing much to help her child was she.

Sent from my GT-I9300

I'm not saying its a definite cause but I do think they are definitely linked! I know it's the DM but...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ers-smoke-65-cent-likely-children-asthma.html

i dont mind people smoking aslong as they do it away from me. there is nothing i hate more than my boyfriends mate sat there speaking to me, knowing full well im pregnant, whilst puffing on a 'doob' (joint). it disgusts me that i actually have to remove myself from everyone else just because some idiot is careless enough to smoke that in my face! xxx

I have never smoked in my entire life, not even tried it. My parents smoked when I was a child and I hated it, put me off for life. My OH smokes but only one or two a day and he doesn't do it around me now I am pregnant and has already said he will stop by time baby arrives. I agree that in this day and age it would be stupid to take up smoking knowing full well it can kill you and have other health implications too. I guess if you have smoked for years and years it must be very hard to suddenly quit though. My nan smoked about 20 a day until the day she died! x

Competely agree. I used to smoke but gave up when i found out i was pregnant. I wont lie, its the hardest thing in the world and i still want one now sometimes but i havent caved once because i cannot bear the thought of my baby taking in the smoke and not having a choice. I saw a heavily pregnant woman smoking outside the hospital once and it took all my energy not to walk over and have it out with her, its so disappointing to see x

Well done for managing to give up. I do understand how hard it must be otherwise ppl would stop much easier. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Sent from my GT-I9300

I'm not saying its a definite cause but I do think they are definitely linked! I know it's the DM but...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ers-smoke-65-cent-likely-children-asthma.html

Yep agree! I suffered asthma and my mum smoked when she was pregnant with me. Irresponsible! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Very difficult one for me to comment on as pregnancy it's your own body your own baby. I don't smoke nor does oh or family and I'm glad of that but that said I do think it's not that easy to give up and that people need to be aware that the woman they see smoking pregnant might be cutting down from 40 a day to 10 even. It's difficult as its clearly bad for you and baby but so is drinking I haven't drunk this preg except one glass of champagne at a friends wedding was I irrisponsible for that one mayb but I choose the risk of one to be minimal. It's the only drink alcoholic iv had. Others may think that's awful even. I'm also of a high bmi pre pregnancy and have lost weight during preg. Yes I couldv waited till I was a lower bmi to have a baby but I didn't is that irresponsible? I actually was fatter before I. Lost weight by running swimming and diet and was happyish that my eating could be controlled during pregnancy so I carried on I ended up having a healthy preg so far and am actually now weighing over a stone less than my booking appoint. Sorry to go off topic I do think smoking when preg is irrisponsible but I also think everyone must choose thier own choices and you shouldn't condemn without knowing more about their situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back