Smoking when pregnant... RANT alert!

Exactly u dont have 100% proof it harms the baby ive known people smoke outragpus amounts of cigarettes and have a healthy child and i also undetstanf about people stood at hospital doors supermarkets etc wen i have to walk in with my son knowing he will breath it in but i carnt go and rant about it as people have a choice what they do after all itd there body there lungs there child no one can dictate to them if they should smoke or not if people give up well done cos it is bloody hard x

Nobody has 100% proof that it doesnt harm the baby either....

Sent from my GT-I9300

I agree they dont , it just gets to me wen people are quick to jump in with things like that , Smoking in non smoking areas is ignorant and vile i do agree with u there ive pointed out signs to people in the past if ive had my children with me but also get grunted at so i always move x

Last edited:
I also have to say that when I did smoke I was always very courteous and made sure my smoke wouldn't blow in anyone's face. I absolutely hate that! I also hate smoking around children, can't see why anyone would. It's easy enough to walk away and smoke by yourself.

I do notice and appreciate people like this. Since ive not driven and used the bus, I stand under a low roof which is the bus stop outside work. A lot of the smokers go to the very back of the bus stop where the wind cant get to the smoke and where its away from everyone waiting. I don't mind them smoking so I appreciate their consideration. Its those who stand next to you at the front and light up right next to you and around buggies and like you say...children.

Congrats on managing to stop :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

It's common courteousy I think! Not everyone smokes, you shouldn't have to breathe second hand smoke. And now I'm pregnant second hand smoke makes me heave! My in laws smoke and the smell on my clothes when I come from there makes me gag. Bleugh! I can't believe I used to smell like that!

Thank you :) I'm more proud of my husband than me tbh! He stopped about a week after I did and I honestly never thought I'd see the day! All our friends were gobsmacked that we stopped, we showed no sign of it beforehand. I can't believe they didn't guess I was duffed up! Haha

As I said, if me and my husband can stop, anyone can! Xx

Lol they probably just thought you fancied packing up! :) I think it is incredibly responsible and admirable to do something that can be so difficult. Just shows how determined you were for a healthy little baby. :)

There is no link that it harms the baby exactly that I know of, but there is a chance as there are with drinking etc.

I think my opinions upset some though lol. But I think its fair that I shouldn't have to breathe in others smoke personally xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

One of my friends said "what?! YOU quit?! But you love your fags!" Hahaha! We were both very determined to have a healthy baby, I've completely changed my whole lifestyle and so has my husband. We weren't quite ready for a baby when we'd found out, I'd been off the pill for 6 months and were expecting to take a year or so to catch. I got my BFP on the day of my first appointment with Stop Smoking Wales, so I smoked a few more that day out of utter shock and the next day I was smoke free. The next day i actually witnessed an accident where a motorcyclist went into the side of a car, called an ambulance and helped the motorcyclist stay awake while the ambulance was on it's way. It was really bad and the guy very nearly died, I stood in the middle of the road and thought "if I don't smoke now, I'll never smoke again!" So for stress to be a reason not to quit is beyond me. That's not the only extremely stressful situation I've been in since being pregnant and I still haven't reached for the fags!

I'm pretty sure there are links between smoking and asthma, as well as other lung weaknesses and growth problems. I read that smoking around children stunts their growth. My father in law is 6'2" and my husband and his two brothers are no taller than 5'6". That's proof enough for me!

I completely agree with you and would agree while I was still smoking. You don't smoke, why should you have to!

I think this is always going to a touchy topic. And I have to be honest @LauraMummyToBe, I've never really looked at it from your prospective of it being an addiction that you have to try and over come and that must be really hard, especially if you were very dependent on them. So I would like to say sorry, and that I hope I'm never quick to judge again x

Interestingly enough, my mum only gave up smoking for one out of four of her pregnancies. Me, Nat and Becky are all fine and haven't really had any health issues at all. Yet Tasha, who my mum DID give up smoking for is ALWAYS ill. And I really do mean, always ill and she also has Chron's disease.

One of my friends said "what?! YOU quit?! But you love your fags!" Hahaha! We were both very determined to have a healthy baby, I've completely changed my whole lifestyle and so has my husband. We weren't quite ready for a baby when we'd found out, I'd been off the pill for 6 months and were expecting to take a year or so to catch. I got my BFP on the day of my first appointment with Stop Smoking Wales, so I smoked a few more that day out of utter shock and the next day I was smoke free. The next day i actually witnessed an accident where a motorcyclist went into the side of a car, called an ambulance and helped the motorcyclist stay awake while the ambulance was on it's way. It was really bad and the guy very nearly died, I stood in the middle of the road and thought "if I don't smoke now, I'll never smoke again!" So for stress to be a reason not to quit is beyond me. That's not the only extremely stressful situation I've been in since being pregnant and I still haven't reached for the fags!

I'm pretty sure there are links between smoking and asthma, as well as other lung weaknesses and growth problems. I read that smoking around children stunts their growth. My father in law is 6'2" and my husband and his two brothers are no taller than 5'6". That's proof enough for me!

I completely agree with you and would agree while I was still smoking. You don't smoke, why should you have to!

Wow that really is wonderful. When I was younger (13ish) I used to pinch fags out the ash tray to get a tiny drag while my mum or dad were out. Not all the time, but every now and then I felt I craved it! So for you to manage to do that in 1 day is just amazing especially as the time you had with it.

I heard the growth thing too.. but not thought much of it to be honest. Maybe if my parents had quit smoking before I was a lot older, I wouldnt be 5'3 now n could have managed another inch or 2 lol xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

I think this is always going to a touchy topic. And I have to be honest @LauraMummyToBe, I've never really looked at it from your prospective of it being an addiction that you have to try and over come and that must be really hard, especially if you were very dependent on them. So I would like to say sorry, and that I hope I'm never quick to judge again x

Interestingly enough, my mum only gave up smoking for one out of four of her pregnancies. Me, Nat and Becky are all fine and haven't really had any health issues at all. Yet Tasha, who my mum DID give up smoking for is ALWAYS ill. And I really do mean, always ill and she also has Chron's disease.

You hear these stories about breast feeding too. They say its important to breast feed as it gives the baby the best start in life. But I dont know if thats true? Looking at it from people I know, those who were breast fed are the most poorly now n get ill more often. Im going to try breastfeed anyway but I think they put pressure on ppl to do it n some struggle and can't. Hopefully they don't feel like a failure for it though.

That was totally off topic lol. Sorry x

Sent from my GT-I9300

I understand what you're saying completely, that woman is just an f'ing disgrace! I know I'm bad for smoking but I don't do drugs, never have. I don't drink, I quit waaaay before I got pregnant. So at least I'm cutting out everything else that's bad or can do harm.

I just don't think threads like this should be posted although you are entitled to your opinion, you're just going to get a negative reaction from someone and it is going to kick off big time. I ain't saying you should suffer I'm just saying that maybe you shouldn't take a dig at every pregnant woman that smokes because some of us have actually been advised not to quit and to see a post like this riles us and we see it as a personal dig and take a huge amount of offence to it. X

I quit smoking the day I got my bfp. I was a 40+ a day smoker but I stubbed out my last fag as soon as I knew I was carrying a baby. He didn't ask to be conceived and I am certainly not going to force nicotine, chemicals and smoke through my body into his. I just couldn't do it. Yes I loved my fags, yes I was addicted and yes it was bloody hard but what was more important? My need for a fag or protecting the little human being I had created from anything that could possibly harm him.

I am disgusted when I see a pregnant woman smoke and I think it's disgraceful to carry on knowing full well you have a baby inside you. I believe that if I can quit then anyone can.

tapatalkin

Well done for all you smokers that have given up. This is only my opinion but this really needs to be something that is done before trying to conceive as most people make a conscious choice to have a baby. I appreciate how hard it is but you simply cannot ignore the health advice. It makes me so sad when I see someone pregnant smoking when I hear about some ladies on PF having problems trying to conceive when they are doing everything right.

I understand what you're saying completely, that woman is just an f'ing disgrace! I know I'm bad for smoking but I don't do drugs, never have. I don't drink, I quit waaaay before I got pregnant. So at least I'm cutting out everything else that's bad or can do harm.

I just don't think threads like this should be posted although you are entitled to your opinion, you're just going to get a negative reaction from someone and it is going to kick off big time. I ain't saying you should suffer I'm just saying that maybe you shouldn't take a dig at every pregnant woman that smokes because some of us have actually been advised not to quit and to see a post like this riles us and we see it as a personal dig and take a huge amount of offence to it. X

So it's unacceptable to drink but not to smoke? Sorry love, but you have to do both especially when you have obviously planned your pregnancy. You have to make sacrifices and be responsible for your baby and that doesn't stop when they're born.

I really don't understand when people say that their doctor or midwife have advised them not to quit??? Seriously??? When I was pregnant (I'm a non smoker) there were posters ALL over the office of babies struggling to breathe due to mothers smoking, I was given a carbon monoxide test (again even tho I'm a non smoker) and the very first page in my notes was all about the help and supper available to help smokers quit. So I don't understand how one authority can be so anti smoking yet another is telling mothers it's too "stressful" to quit??

Personally I cannot stand women smoking when pregnant. I also cannot stand people pushing a push chair whilst smoking. I'm an ex smoker so do understand the addiction, but seriously, there is help out there and you should (IMO) do a everything you can to quit.

Although this is always going to be a touchy subject - I have to agree with the majority here.

I started smoking at the age of 15 and I have tried to give up at least 10 times over the years and failed each time. I was trying really hard to give up at the time I got my BFP. I was smoking around 4 or 5 a day - having cut down from 15-20 a day - with the help of an electric cigarette.

The day I got my surprise BFP, cigs, elec cigs, lighters etc all went in the bin and I haven't touched one since. If I can give up ANYONE can!!

I'm NOT saying it is related as there is no proof of course, but a friend of mine has 3 children - she smoked through all their pregnancies and each child was born with a degree of asthma. In fact her eldest boy has severe asthma and cant even compete in his own school sports day - it is that bad. I personally couldn't live with myself if that happened - wondering if I was the cause of this debilitating illness...??

At the end of the day there is enough information out there about what smoking does to OUR body, never mind that of an unborn child.
I stopped smoking as soon as I found out I was pregnant and god I missed it but it wasn't about me anymore.
When you are pregnant or have a child you don't come first any more. Simple as that.

In my opinion there is no bigger reason to quit. And if my dad can quit the day his first grandchild was born after being a heavy smoker for 40 years, anybody can.

With all the known risks nowadays, smoking during pregnancy and beyond is just wrong. It's not really better to give up smoking when you're pregnant and then start again afterwards as 1) there is the risk of passive smoking 2) you're knowingly doing something which is proven to harm your own health and is it fair on your small baby/child to put yourself in that situation when they're so dependent on you? From the age of four, I used to cry myself to sleep thinking my mum was going to die of lung cancer cos she smoked :-( I don't resent my mum at all, she's my best friend and it was different in those days. Today, I just don't understand why people start smoking in the first place. I guess I just wanted to say children do know the dangers from a young age and it does worry them.

Last edited:
I know there's a lot more information regarding health risks out there now so overall people should now be more informed when making a decision but its hard to ignore previous generations. My mum smoked when she was carrying me and my brother, they regularly smoked in the car with us in there, my mum even used to smoke when feeding us and touch wood neither of us have any health problems what so ever, never have. My granny smoked when pregnant with my mum and her brother, she could smoke in hospital just after giving birth! She's now well into her 80's, fighting fit as are my mum and uncle.

I despise smoking, always have and always will. My mum and dad finally quit when I got pregnant (without me mentioning it!) possibly because they knew I wouldn't let them near her if they were or had been smoking! I'm so proud of them for giving up, I saw how hard it was for them. I dread to think how many my dad smoked, before the ban he had an extractor fan fitted above his head at work! So although I hate to see pregnant women smoking, it's not really any of my business, in the same way I don't like seeing toddlers eating fast food, not my business.

As for your neighbours, could you speak to them about it? You shouldn't feel you can't have your doors and windows open in your own home.

I agree with all the other ladies who say you CAN quit. I am sorry, but there are methods and means of help.

I smoked 20 a day, I have a very stressful job running my own company, and my smoking was my way of coping (as was my glass of wine at the end of the day - which has also gone!).

If you have a physical addiction (which really is the only reason to struggle), then there is plenty of replacement therapy available for free.

I loved smoking, I do miss it, but even I can see it is a vile habit, and personally I don't want to go back to it either, I don't want my children to have to witness me dying some horrible, slow painful death. I just think children should make you rethink all of your priorities!

Exactly u dont have 100% proof it harms the baby ive known people smoke outragpus amounts of cigarettes and have a healthy child and i also undetstanf about people stood at hospital doors supermarkets etc wen i have to walk in with my son knowing he will breath it in but i carnt go and rant about it as people have a choice what they do after all itd there body there lungs there child no one can dictate to them if they should smoke or not if people give up well done cos it is bloody hard x

Sent from my GT-I9300

There may not be 100% proof it harms the baby, but nicotene is a drug just like alcohol or any other drug. If you smoke throughout your pregnancy your baby will be born addicted to it, no matter how small the addiction is it will be there in exactly the same way it is in a smoker. The withdrawl at birth is enough to say it harms them in my opinion, maybe not long term but certainlly in the initial days after birth.

It is really really hard to give up. Like I said earlier, I knew I wanted a baby so made sure I gave up before I even tried. I went from 25 a day for 10 years to none overnight. I had tried before and failed, but knowing I wanted a baby made me quit. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. BUT if I had not planned my pregnancy I know it would have been so much harder, especially with the added hormones. I suffered very severe anxiery which I think would have effected my baby hugely had I already been pregnant. I think as long as you are aware what you are doing, and try to stop/cut down then that is the main thing. Its the people who dont care if they are harming the baby and have the 'so what' attitude that makes me angry.

Im not on anyones side and im not getting into an argument about it all im sayin is when people arw conciously writting an opinion on here it can affect people like i said it did me i blamed my self for my sons on going illness i blamed myswlf for him being in nicu for 2 weeks havin to leave him there wen i wenr home everynight , but it wasnt my fault i can count on one hand how many cigarettes i smoked i the early stages of pregnancy as i quit wen i got a bfp but that didnt stop me blaming myself the fact of the matter is the negligence of the hospital has caused my sons illnesses not me smoking in the early days comments like that are harsh and not fair as u dont now whos reading the posts and what there backgeound is all im saying is you shouldnr be quick to judge somebody xx

When ttc I cut down from twenty a day to a few a day. After my bfp I probably had one a day till about 6weeks and then stopped altogether and relyed soley on my vapour cigarette. After twekve weeks ive even stopped using that. I wont lie, ive had a feq cigarettes in the last 7 weeks but theyve made me feel so guilty ive even hid that from my OH!

Its difficult, it truly is. But if your primary concern is your baby then it should make it easier by incentive.

In my OPINION, saying that you're not going to quit because it will stress you and baby out too much is a cop out

Sent from my GT-I9300

There may not be 100% proof it harms the baby, but nicotene is a drug just like alcohol or any other drug. If you smoke throughout your pregnancy your baby will be born addicted to it, no matter how small the addiction is it will be there in exactly the same way it is in a smoker. The withdrawl at birth is enough to say it harms them in my opinion, maybe not long term but certainlly in the initial days after birth.

It is really really hard to give up. Like I said earlier, I knew I wanted a baby so made sure I gave up before I even tried. I went from 25 a day for 10 years to none overnight. I had tried before and failed, but knowing I wanted a baby made me quit. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. BUT if I had not planned my pregnancy I know it would have been so much harder, especially with the added hormones. I suffered very severe anxiery which I think would have effected my baby hugely had I already been pregnant. I think as long as you are aware what you are doing, and try to stop/cut down then that is the main thing. Its the people who dont care if they are harming the baby and have the 'so what' attitude that makes me angry.

Yep I agree. When she said there is not 100% proof it harms the baby, there is also not 100% proof it doesn't. if its so bad for you then surely its bad gor your baby too :( xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back