Smoking when pregnant... RANT alert!

Wow.
Obviously feelings are strong on this. But I am gobsmaked by the poster who claims to have been ADVISED not to quit!!! Really?!?! I find that incredibly difficult to believe.
And stating she doesn't do drugs? Errr, nicotine is a flamming drug. Did you not know that?
And what are smokers supposed to do when standing next to a non-smoker? How about move away, seeing as they are the ones polluting the air for everyone else!

I don't give a monkeys if other people want to pollute their own lungs. If they want to fill their body with carcinogens, go ahead. It IS very selfish to inflict cancer causing compounds on those who have chosen not to. The poor unborn baby is flooded with nicotine. They can be born addicted. They have a reduced blood flow, diminished oxygen supply and lower birth weights. Generally, of course. Yes, we all know of exceptions. The stats still speak for themselves...on the whole, babies of smokers are less healthy. If you're happy with that - it's your choice.

Last edited:
My mom had 5 children and smoked through all of her pregnancies and we were all born healthy with no complications at all. Ive known other women who have done the same and again had healthy pregnancies and healthy babies saying that is not denial its speaking from what i myself have seen. However on saying that we all know that smoking is not good for a persons health whether pregnant or not and i do think that it is a nasty, smelly and expensive habit. Im not saying it cant affect an unborn baby because of course the risks are there but it isn't always the case as i know people have said that on here. But I don't believe people should be verbally abused for smoking even when pregnant as it is their choice we cant go around telling people what they should and shouldn't do. Im not saying people on here are doing that but I have actually seen pregnant women being verbally abused for smoking by people when ive been out and as im sure most would agree that its wrong to approach someone in such an aggressive manner that is not helping the situation. None of us are perfect so who are we to judge what others do and why they do it. sometimes people eat foods they shouldn't eat whilst pregnant others enjoy drinking and clubbing etc but people don't seem to post too much about that.

If people smoke then I agree that they shouldn't smoke around non-smokers and they certainly shouldn't smoke around pregnant women. smoking is obviously not good for a persons health as we all know but it is an addiction too and some people can give up easily and others find it more difficult. We are all different and deal with things differently some people are stronger than others its not always about a person being selfish that they still smoke whilst pregnant. some people find it comforting especially if they are on their own and have no-one to turn to for support, some people suffer with their nerves and find smoking helps with that etc.

Im not trying to stick up for anyone i just try to see both sides of it. I hope my opinions have not offended anyone as they are only my opinions but i think its important to see the bigger picture and not judge people when they know nothing about them. We know some people are just selfish and inconsiderate and don't give a toss for anyone but that's just the way of the world now but as far as smoking is concerned that doesnt apply to everyone who smokes even when they are pregnant.

Anyway that's just my view on the matter whether people disagree or not but i do respect that everyone has an opinion and is entitled to that and i wish everyone a very healthy and happy pregnancy xx

Last edited:
I smoked up until I found out I was pregnant. We knew we were going to start trying and I fully intended to stop when we were officially TTC. I just didn't realise I was already pregnant by this time! I found out at about 5 weeks and threw my cigs in the bin as soon as we came out of the doctor's surgery. I smoked for about 15 years and was surprised how easy I found it. Don't get me wrong, there were times I wanted a cigarette, but I just looked at my stomach and the thought of it made me feel sick.
Even when I smoked, I hated smoking within about 10 feet of non-smokers, just because I smoked, didn't mean everyone else around me needed to smell or breathe it in too. And if I was going anywhere near my nephew, I wouldn't smoke for about 4 hours before just in case it clung to my clothes.

Smoked for 10 years untill I got my BFP - OH stilll smoking but will stop later in pregnancy -

However- non smokers now enjoy smoke free restaurants, smoking areas at work places, no smoking in bus stops, cigarettes not allowed on site

You can't get much better than that to be honest- 20 years ago you wouldn't Have the cleanliness you have now

And in 20 years time it will be even more stringent- I think you should appreciate just how fast the support of non smokers is right now

I completely get you don't wanna breath in people's smoke- I don't either- however I'm yet to have that problem- as I don't go to the designated areas where people should smoke

People who don't follow those laws and rules are not the majority's fault- that side is no different to someone doing 33mph in a 30mph limit for instance

To round up my rambling- I agree and pregnant women shouldn't smoke- it has effects on health and also makes you look like a compete skank :lol:

And respect to all the ladies who quit when they got their BFP- the hardest thing me and my OH have gone through
Coupled with hormones, sickness and everything else :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back