Smoking when pregnant... RANT alert!

As I said on the very first post.. its more the fact that I have to suffer from irresponsible selfish people blowing smoke in my face. Not one person should be allowed to do that.
As for drinking, I think thats no where near as bad. One or two glasses of drink in 9 months won't hurt BUT smoking every single day does.
It is up to every person. But my opinion of the matter is that you are a selfish, irresponsible person for allowing yourself to possibly harm your babies like on a daily basis. And that they shouldnt be allowed to blow that disgusting stuff in peoples faces.
Fair do's if they want to kill themselves smoking.. but a baby who had done no bad!? Pure selfish and careless
X

Sent from my GT-I9300

I smoked before I was pregnant.... I struggled so much giving up. I still am... I used to smoke 20 a day and now have 2 or 3... I want to stop completely but it's not easy... I'd give anything to be able to do it. :(

I feel guilty every time I do smoke....

Xxx

I smoked before I was pregnant.... I struggled so much giving up. I still am... I used to smoke 20 a day and now have 2 or 3... I want to stop completely but it's not easy... I'd give anything to be able to do it. :(

I feel guilty every time I do smoke....

Xxx

Have u tried that electronic cigarette? You might be able to cut out your last two for that. I dont smoke but I know how much ppl rate it xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

It makes me sick that people smoke when pregnant! When I was ttc we had a couple of months where we weren't successful and I saw a pregnant woman smoking in town, I nearly went up to her to rant in her face, but managed to restrain myself!
Every time I walk past someone smoking I hold my breath - hate it! X

Last edited:
1) People don't purposely blow smoke in your face, sorry but the wind can blow smoke in your general direction.
2) I smoke, I'm pregnant, I tried like mad to quit and I couldn't do it no matter how hard I tried. My GP told me not to quit as it was stressing baby out after a week of not having one at all. I was told to cut down so I have, I smoke about 3 a day. So I think you should keep your opinions to yourself about all pregnant women smokers until you know their reasons. Hardly fair.
3) At least we're not drinking or taking drugs like some women, so don't tie us with the same string thanks.

I gave up the second I found out I was pregnant. No way would my conscience be able to take what I could potentially be doing to my unborn child.

I appreciate that some people find it hard to give up but I am another that cannot abide seeing a pregnant woman smoking. If I hadn't managed to stop I would be hiding myself away to smoke so no one saw! :lol:

If I can give up when pregnant I genuinely believe anyone can!

1) People don't purposely blow smoke in your face, sorry but the wind can blow smoke in your general direction.
2) I smoke, I'm pregnant, I tried like mad to quit and I couldn't do it no matter how hard I tried. My GP told me not to quit as it was stressing baby out after a week of not having one at all. I was told to cut down so I have, I smoke about 3 a day. So I think you should keep your opinions to yourself about all pregnant women smokers until you know their reasons. Hardly fair.
3) At least we're not drinking or taking drugs like some women, so don't tie us with the same string thanks.

I am allowed my opinion. I dont see why you have the right to tell me that I should keep my opinions to myself when you are clearly giving your own.

My OPINION is that it is irresponsible and selfish. And that is what you are. Thats not my problem that you dislike my opinion. I also don't agree with yours but you are allowed one.

Why would somebody stand next to me and light up a fag and expect the smoke not to be in my face? I think I know wheb wind is blowing smoke in my face.. but thank you for the stupid comment anyway....

Sent from my GT-I9300

I gave up the second I found out I was pregnant. No way would my conscience be able to take what I could potentially be doing to my unborn child.

I appreciate that some people find it hard to give up but I am another that cannot abide seeing a pregnant woman smoking. If I hadn't managed to stop I would be hiding myself away to smoke so no one saw! :lol:

Yes I appreciate how difficult it is for them as ive had family who ive seen struggle to quit. But I like the way u would hide away. Lol :) atleast it wouldn't hurt peoples feelings who cant have children or are ttc but struggling.

My mum smoked through her entire pregnancy with me and I suffered asthma badly for years. :(

Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

I also have to say that when I did smoke I was always very courteous and made sure my smoke wouldn't blow in anyone's face. I absolutely hate that! I also hate smoking around children, can't see why anyone would. It's easy enough to walk away and smoke by yourself.

I also have to say that when I did smoke I was always very courteous and made sure my smoke wouldn't blow in anyone's face. I absolutely hate that! I also hate smoking around children, can't see why anyone would. It's easy enough to walk away and smoke by yourself.

I do notice and appreciate people like this. Since ive not driven and used the bus, I stand under a low roof which is the bus stop outside work. A lot of the smokers go to the very back of the bus stop where the wind cant get to the smoke and where its away from everyone waiting. I don't mind them smoking so I appreciate their consideration. Its those who stand next to you at the front and light up right next to you and around buggies and like you say...children.

Congrats on managing to stop :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

I am allowed my opinion. I dont see why you have the right to tell me that I should keep my opinions to myself when you are clearly giving your own.

My OPINION is that it is irresponsible and selfish. And that is what you are. Thats not my problem that you dislike my opinion. I also don't agree with yours but you are allowed one.

Why would somebody stand next to me and light up a fag and expect the smoke not to be in my face? I think I know wheb wind is blowing smoke in my face.. but thank you for the stupid comment anyway....

Sent from my GT-I9300

I didn't say you can't have your opinion did I?, I said, don't comment about pregnant women smoking because you don't know what they've been told by their GP's and midwives about it so I think it is rather unfair for you to say some of what you have said. Plus the fact that you made it sound like we purposely blow smoke in your face was laughable, I myself apologise if my smoke hits someone in the face although I cannot control where it goes.

I understand what you're saying about it being irresponsible and selfish, but again you don't know what these pregnant women have been advised to do about their habit so therefore you shouldn't really judge them... I'm sure they wouldn't judge you if you were smoking as they don't know what you've been told. Also, if you've never smoked in your life... You don't understand the addiction therefore you don't really have a leg to stand on. I apologise if I sounded unreasonable and somewhat foul mouthed and nasty but it just winds me up when people post about pregnant women smoking when they don't really know the ins and outs.

I'm sure people don't just target you and decide to stand beside you and smoke... So to be honest that's pretty much a pointless comment? If you don't like the smoke surely you'd say something or stand to the other side of that person? I'm not saying you should move because no you shouldn't have to but nor should the other person. There aren't always designated areas for people to smoke, so sometimes they are unfortunately stood near to you. I know it doesn't smell nice but... What do you want us to do? You're not being purposely picked out... It happens to plenty of non smoking people. :/ That's all I'm trying to say. I just don't agree with how you worded your opinion and how it came across.

Sorry to butt in smoking when pregnant isnt good i agree but thats peoples choice saying tjat smoking when pregnant is a cause if childhood atshma in my opinion is bollox my son was born at 35 weeks suffered severe rds was in nicu fot 2 weeks amd is now on a shed load of medication he is now 6 , i did smoke wen pregnant but very rarely but i still did it i blamed myself for my sons illnesses until i suffeted severe depression bcos of it and my gp explained it was the severe rds that caused my sons asthma, not my odd cigarette you should not be so quick to jump to conclusions about people that smoke , yes very heavy smoking could harm your unborn child aswell , ss i said at the beginging sorry for butting in but the asthma comment got by back up

I do notice and appreciate people like this. Since ive not driven and used the bus, I stand under a low roof which is the bus stop outside work. A lot of the smokers go to the very back of the bus stop where the wind cant get to the smoke and where its away from everyone waiting. I don't mind them smoking so I appreciate their consideration. Its those who stand next to you at the front and light up right next to you and around buggies and like you say...children.

Sent from my GT-I9300

It's common courteousy I think! Not everyone smokes, you shouldn't have to breathe second hand smoke. And now I'm pregnant second hand smoke makes me heave! My in laws smoke and the smell on my clothes when I come from there makes me gag. Bleugh! I can't believe I used to smell like that!

Thank you :) I'm more proud of my husband than me tbh! He stopped about a week after I did and I honestly never thought I'd see the day! All our friends were gobsmacked that we stopped, we showed no sign of it beforehand. I can't believe they didn't guess I was duffed up! Haha

As I said, if me and my husband can stop, anyone can! Xx

Sorry to butt in smoking when pregnant isnt good i agree but thats peoples choice saying tjat smoking when pregnant is a cause if childhood atshma in my opinion is bollox my son was born at 35 weeks suffered severe rds was in nicu fot 2 weeks amd is now on a shed load of medication he is now 6 , i did smoke wen pregnant but very rarely but i still did it i blamed myself for my sons illnesses until i suffeted severe depression bcos of it and my gp explained it was the severe rds that caused my sons asthma, not my odd cigarette you should not be so quick to jump to conclusions about people that smoke , yes very heavy smoking could harm your unborn child aswell , ss i said at the beginging sorry for butting in but the asthma comment got by back up

Not saying it IS the reason for the asthma, As I said earlier on in this thread. But my point is im not trying to say I dislike people who smoke when pregnant as that means id hate my mum! But it coild definitely be a factor and I guess we dont know. But a bigger factor for my asthma was the heating in the house we moved to when I was a few months old.

Sent from my GT-I9300

I loathe the "my body my choice " attitude . For nine months it's NOT Just your body you are sharing it with another human being who you choose to poison with smoke .You make that decision for your child I appreciate it's difficult and stressful to quit but I really think smoking during pregnancy is selfish .
I hate smoking and will not hold back when I see people standing outside of maternity hospital doors or who blow smoke in the faces of my children it makes my blood boil. I have the up-most respect for any lady who quits when they get pregnant as I am aware it's difficult .

Sent from my GT-I9300

It's common courteousy I think! Not everyone smokes, you shouldn't have to breathe second hand smoke. And now I'm pregnant second hand smoke makes me heave! My in laws smoke and the smell on my clothes when I come from there makes me gag. Bleugh! I can't believe I used to smell like that!

Thank you :) I'm more proud of my husband than me tbh! He stopped about a week after I did and I honestly never thought I'd see the day! All our friends were gobsmacked that we stopped, we showed no sign of it beforehand. I can't believe they didn't guess I was duffed up! Haha

As I said, if me and my husband can stop, anyone can! Xx

Lol they probably just thought you fancied packing up! :) I think it is incredibly responsible and admirable to do something that can be so difficult. Just shows how determined you were for a healthy little baby. :)

There is no link that it harms the baby exactly that I know of, but there is a chance as there are with drinking etc.

I think my opinions upset some though lol. But I think its fair that I shouldn't have to breathe in others smoke personally xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Exactly u dont have 100% proof it harms the baby ive known people smoke outragpus amounts of cigarettes and have a healthy child and i also undetstanf about people stood at hospital doors supermarkets etc wen i have to walk in with my son knowing he will breath it in but i carnt go and rant about it as people have a choice what they do after all itd there body there lungs there child no one can dictate to them if they should smoke or not if people give up well done cos it is bloody hard x

Sent from my GT-I9300

I didn't say you can't have your opinion did I?, I said, don't comment about pregnant women smoking because you don't know what they've been told by their GP's and midwives about it so I think it is rather unfair for you to say some of what you have said. Plus the fact that you made it sound like we purposely blow smoke in your face was laughable, I myself apologise if my smoke hits someone in the face although I cannot control where it goes.

I understand what you're saying about it being irresponsible and selfish, but again you don't know what these pregnant women have been advised to do about their habit so therefore you shouldn't really judge them... I'm sure they wouldn't judge you if you were smoking as they don't know what you've been told. Also, if you've never smoked in your life... You don't understand the addiction therefore you don't really have a leg to stand on. I apologise if I sounded unreasonable and somewhat foul mouthed and nasty but it just winds me up when people post about pregnant women smoking when they don't really know the ins and outs.

I'm sure people don't just target you and decide to stand beside you and smoke... So to be honest that's pretty much a pointless comment? If you don't like the smoke surely you'd say something or stand to the other side of that person? I'm not saying you should move because no you shouldn't have to but nor should the other person. There aren't always designated areas for people to smoke, so sometimes they are unfortunately stood near to you. I know it doesn't smell nice but... What do you want us to do? You're not being purposely picked out... It happens to plenty of non smoking people. :/ That's all I'm trying to say. I just don't agree with how you worded your opinion and how it came across.

If somebody is standing smoking, I wont go near them. But for them to come stand directly next to me and do so is a horrible thing to do. I shouldn't have to move for somebody doing that. I wouldn't move if the person next to me wasnt smoking.. so I shouldn't have to if they are. And it does happen to many people yes.. and many people complain, rightfully. I have been getting fresh air on my break at work at times and I stand next to two signs that say 'no smoking' as its on a bridge. And I always point that sign out to people who smoke infront of the signs and then I get told its got nothing to do with me or get grunted at and ignored anyway. So its no use asking people to move..

Thankfully I don't have to be out too much anymore as im on maternity. But what triggered that first post was the constant smell of weed I get in my back garden and back of my house due to those a few doors down where the lady is just as far along in her pregnancy as I am. It triggeredd in me the annoyance that I even have to close my own doors due to the smell and yesterday had to take my washing in! I cant do anything because its their back garden they are smoking in and they probably dont even notice how much that smell lingers and spreads x

Sent from my GT-I9300

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back