Stacey Solomon smoking whilst pregnant

FUNNILY enough loose women is on in the background right now and they are about to discuss this!

One thing that completely confused me (being polite) is when a friend of mine was pregnant baby is 1 and a half months old now- we were discussing breast feeding and she said she wanted to give it ago (I was really surprised by her as she's quite young) and i said to her that I was surprised and she informed me it was more important for her to bf as she continued smoking throughout pregnancy and smoking during pregnancy increased the risk of cot death and bf lowers the risk......

what shocked me is that even being aware of the risk she continued smoking- and she said it so matter of factly!

It's quite scary how little some people seeem to care about the health of their unborn baby, it's as if they think "well it's not born yet so it doesn't matter".

But that's the whole point of addiction, it can in some completely over rule any rational thinking. Those drug addicts that commit terrible crimes like beating up old people for their pension would have been horrified if you'd told them they would do it before they got addicted. It sounds weird to compare the two maybe but it's the same thing in the mind. Addiction is incredibly selfish and that's the whole problem with it.

It's quite scary how little some people seeem to care about the health of their unborn baby, it's as if they think "well it's not born yet so it doesn't matter".

See i am the exact opposite- I stressed (more in the early days tri 1 &2) that everything I was doing was going to harm the baby and freaking out so easily- so it amazing me how some people are so blaze.....

I'm not saying that I have completely relaxed but so far FX tri 3 is slightly less stressful (for now at least!)

In direct opposition to the article Stacey Solomon then goes on to say she can't wait to be able to 'eat prawns' again..... its like she's following bits of advice, so she obviously cares......

I hate seeing pregnant women smoking it looks horrible! You should be able to quit for the sake of your unborn child I think but Ive never smoked so suppose I cant really say how hard it must be for smokers but you think thats bad I work in a care home & one of the nurses I worked with stopped smoking as soon as she found out she was pregnant she did amazing & then at her 20 week scan they told her that her baby was going to be a "big baby" so she STARTED smoking again!!! because she didnt want to give birth to a big baby she thought smoking would stop him getting too big her exact words ... stupid bitch really pissed me off couldn't believe her!

Stacey is talking on Loose Women now, she doesn't sound proud of what she is doing to be honest. I just see it as i managed to stop after over 20 years of heavy smoking, so why can't she?
one of the nurses I worked with stopped smoking as soon as she found out she was pregnant she did amazing & then at her 20 week scan they told her that her baby was going to be a "big baby" so she STARTED smoking again!!! because she didnt want to give birth to a big baby she thought smoking would stop him getting too big her exact words ... stupid bitch really pissed me off couldn't believe her!

Seriously?!?! I would of given her what for.

Last edited:
she's live on loose women now and she has said that the article isn't correct that she has NOT been advised to continue smoking or had medical advice what so ever to continue.... she sounds really genuine that she wants to stop......

What gets me are the women that lie to the midwives and say that they have stopped smoking or have cut down by loads. When the midwife sees the placenta she can tell if you have been smoking or not and how much smoking you have done.

Someone I know got caught out this way. Her placenta had started to go black and gritty or something...mucho gross!

It is horrible! I think every woman who smokes while pregnant should be shown the placenta of a heavy smoker...

Wow really can they tell by the placenta? That's shocking it really is I'm so happy I have never smoked. Al has smoked 30 a day for 20 odd years he has never smoked inside the house I would string him up. He gave up smoking on the first of jan and hasn't touched one since no patches nothing he said if his kids aren't enough incentive to make him quit then nothing is. His sister was so impressed she has been off them over a month now. it's not accepted in Society anymore and rightly so it kills People and ruins lives. I blame the government they should make them illegal. You can't smoke what's not there.

The government make too much tax from cigs to ban them, plus banning them won't stop smoking... it just means you would have to buy them from dealers like a druggie.

Wow really can they tell by the placenta? That's shocking it really is I'm so happy I have never smoked. Al has smoked 30 a day for 20 odd years he has never smoked inside the house I would string him up. He gave up smoking on the first of jan and hasn't touched one since no patches nothing he said if his kids aren't enough incentive to make him quit then nothing is. His sister was so impressed she has been off them over a month now. it's not accepted in Society anymore and rightly so it kills People and ruins lives. I blame the government they should make them illegal. You can't smoke what's not there.

Yup. Midwife can tell straight away if you have been smoking- smoking really damages the placenta. Apparently it attaches itself differently to the uterine wall too- something to do with the fact a smoker is tracing the baby of oxygen, so the placenta spreads itself out along the uterine to get as much oxygen as possible.

I smoked for 15 years, I stopped a day or two after I found out I was pregnant in May 2011.

I went on to miscarry and had another two miscarriages later in 2011 yet I never went back to the fags....I may be lucky as I actually found it easy to stop (if you ask anyone that knew me as a smoker they'd express their surprise as to how easy I found it to stop!! It's weird as even to the day I stopped I never actually wanted to stop?? :shock:)

I'm 10 months "free" on 8th March and never, ever want to touch a ciggy again...

OH has been smoking on the balcony for months now and aims to be a non smoker by the end of the year.

My point in anyone can stop if they set their mind to it

xxxxxxxxx

"What happens is as the woman smokes the baby and the placenta are deprived of oxygen and nutrients. The placenta then spreads further throughout the uterus, becoming thinner (increasing the risks of a placenta previa and placental abruption), trying to seek out more surface area of the uterus from which to draw oxygen and nutrient."

Omg if I was a smoker that would scare the life out of me I think we as women need more educating on this as well as drinking and taking drugs.

The thing about Stacey is that she is in the puclic eye and wether she liked it or not she is a roll model to a lot of people. If she is doing something like that she should do it in the privacy of her own home (well not at all really.) She chose her career and should be more careful about her influence.

I gave up smoking before we started to TTC. I gave up Aug 07 and have never wanted to smoke again.
I decided I couldn't TTC knowing I could fall pregnant and harm my baby. Ended up just stopping as replacements didnt agree with me.
Every time I wanted a cigarette, I thought of my future children.

this really really surprised me as you ladies have said she is a role model to alot of younger mums!

i smoked for ten years and stopped a week after i found out. before i found out i was preg i had no intention at all of stopping smoking, being 23 then i was still partying drinking smoking- whatever i wanted! but after finding out i finished off my last pack (about 3 cigs) and that was it.

i am SO proud of myself for being able to stop with no help at all and to go from loving smoking to having to stop was hard but i did it. and this is why i struggle to see why others cant stop...? i would imagine my baby smoking whilst i was and it was horrible. stacey said oh i really want to stop im going to try and do everything i can to stop.... yet shes 7 months and hasnt tried the things her GP has suggested.....

so if she really cared why has she not tried all options for stopping yet? shes due may 7th, shes hardly got any time left so i doubt she'll stop. i feel sorry for her for getting such bad abuse about it but i can see where everyone is coming from.... i wish her luck in her pregnancy and i just really hope she can quit- everyone is different so i suppose we cant judge

interesting debate ladies xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back