People constantly get my daughters name wrong!

Don't be so sure, I know someone called Zoe and she shortens her own name to Zo! you can't win, you really can't!

Really?! No you can't win, why do people have to shorten other people's names? I just want to say "It's not the name I just told you, you flaming numpty!"

People have always got my name wrong for as long as I can remember. My name is Sian and it has a circumflex over the 'a'. Like I said, people have got this wrong from day one... even my parents :-| they had to re register me because they put the circumflex over the 'i'. Gees!! lol The circumflex turns the 'a' into a hard 'a' so it is pronounced Sharn rather than Si-anne. People just don't get this! It's a Welsh name (I have Welsh roots) and it translates to Jane in English. I get called Si-anne A LOT, as well as Sean, See-anne and even Sioban... ?!?!?? Lol
My DH is called Byron and spends most his life being called Brian! Oh and my friends lo can't say either and instead calls him Bourbon (or Bum bum depending on how she feels! lol)
Yet still we want to call our children fairly unusual names! I had to go through it, so shall they! I hated having an unusual name at times but now I really like it and even though it's more popular now I rarely come across another Sian and have only ever met one other Byron in my life time. We like Serren for a girl (another Welsh name) and Orrie for a boy. I will always love slightly more unusual names! And Mirren is beautiful :) .x.x.

My name is Yvonne pronounced E-VONN yet I get called WHY-VONN, Shavonne, YIH-VONN by loads of people my friends have started to call me von von which annoys me it reminds me of bon bons lol Ive went through my whole life correcting people its so annoying especially when family members get my name wrong.

sian - that is not difficult at all? neither is byron! and yvonne?! so easy haha. deary me. my friend chloe quite often gets called zoe at work - what?! xx

my boss once called me Fiona for a full week... it was my first week at work at my first real job. she had even written it on my file and everything. then on the friday she clocked one of the girls calling me joanna and she said "her name is fiona" and she just said - no its not.

she was very apologetic. apparently she just misheard

hahaha bit of a difference, xx

My names Holly and I get called Sally alot. Ive even been called colly!!! ......Thats not even a name! x

^ haha not a real name no! when i was a kid that was a family nickname for me.

holly and sally are only alike in "lly" how can you not get the first bit right? x

Haha sorry Colly!! You would just think Holly before Colly tho surely!! x

omg makes me cringe hahaha i'm all grown up and "nic" now haha.
nickname for colin also perhaps?

definitely!! strange x

My is Sinead and my oldest girl is Aoibheann , I can understand people not from Ireland getting them wrong but when people from here struggle I'm totally baffled !

tinytoes how do you pronounce that?

My is Sinead and my oldest girl is Aoibheann , I can understand people not from Ireland getting them wrong but when people from here struggle I'm totally baffled !

I'm from the highlands and bheann is pronounced like Von/Vaughn?? So Aoibheann is like the Irish version of Yvonne?

Hello Iwant..

What a lovely name, i must admit id not know how pronounced unless id heard once before , but like someone said then you know and should remember.

Im a Jenni from Jennifer in full, but i get all sorts Jenny, Jennie etc, i dont bother to correct now, they dont seem to learn. It makes me a bit cross when its a business or the school and you've contacted them by mail so your correct name is written at the end and yet they reply with a diff spelling!!

We were going to call our last son Oren for ages, but i ran it by a few people and they all misheard me and said warren , which i hate. We called him Roman ( stronger first sound, harder to mishear!) and ive lost count how many people, doc, health visitors, friends have been calling him Rowan!!

Last edited:
My real name is Joanne, but everyone calls me Jo. It annoys me so much when people spell it 'Joe'!

oh ditto on the Joe thing!!
although better than presuming your name is "anne!"

My real name is Joanne, but everyone calls me Jo. It annoys me so much when people spell it 'Joe'!

I'm Danielle but most people call me Dani - it really winds me up when people spell it any other way!

a girl i went to shcool with was called danielle and apparently people sspell it a crazy way like "daniyelle" and stuff

my friends daughter is called phoebe and the ways she has seen that soelt is crazy!

Feebeepee
Pheebee
Pheybey
feeby

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90