People constantly get my daughters name wrong!

izzy is one of the reasons hubby doesnt like isabella its a shame because its a lovely name.

Last edited:
where does that name come from btw? its rather pretty!

i like lucia but hubby thinks pple will pronounce it like lucy-a instead of loo-chee-ah

from reading up about origins/meanings etc - it's quite vague, but it seems it is an African name - but also it's referred to as the French word for Star 'Etoile' so most places have the meaning as 'star'!

I am already referring to her as that name and calling her that when I talk to her, so no changing it now - just need to decide on spelling :):)

btw I used to work with an Italian lady whose name was Lucia - and to make life easy for everyone at work she called herself Lucy!

My friend named her little girl Cadence, and people call her 'Candice'! :S Completely different spellings and pronunciations...lol

My name is Anna, and some silly bint at work even had the balls to say there's no such name! I get Ann and Hannah all the time and it drives me insane. People will always mishear, which is fair enough, but some people are just stupid. I think Etholle is a really pretty name, but that's not how I'd have pronounced it if you hadn't told me first! xx

I think its utterly rude for people to a) forget names and b) get them wrong even after they've been told. Id correct them immediately. Its not rocket science and would drive me insane. People assume Cam is called Cameron. Assumption drives me up the wall too xx

omg, that is suuuuch a beautiful name!!! i have never heard it before and absolutely love it!!!

Our son is Aiden but when he was born FIL told his family he was called Adrian - got lots of baby cards to baby Adrian. FIL still slips up from time to time although our 9 year old niece keeps telling him off.

i'm nicole. or nic.

not nicola. or nicki. or even 'nick' that's a boys spelling!!

i read all of your names right apart from 'eilidh' - sorry i've never heard of that before. so how can people even get them wrong?

sara is a tricky one - i'd of pronounced sa-raaaa too i think.
same as my name though - i wish my parents had never put an E on the end. it's pronounced ni-kol. not nic-hole (yes i get that spelling).

mirren is lovely.

how can people get names so wrong?! hahaha deary me.

hu3amy8a.jpg

I love Mirren! Our daughter is called Eilidh (pronounced 'ay-lay') she gets called ellie all the time!! Drives me nuts but at the same time I can see why it confuses people...its a gaelic name and unless your Scottish you probably have never ever heard of it lol x

I'm an Eilidh! I live in wales now tho so get Hayley, Eileen, eyelid, eye Li duh huh, Elvis and Hilda :/

I love Mirren! Our daughter is called Eilidh (pronounced 'ay-lay') she gets called ellie all the time!! Drives me nuts but at the same time I can see why it confuses people...its a gaelic name and unless your Scottish you probably have never ever heard of it lol x

I'm an Eilidh! I live in wales now tho so get Hayley, Eileen, eyelid, eye Li duh huh, Elvis and Hilda :/

Ahhh see I didn't just make it up....it is an actual name lol. People just can't get their heads around it lol. They try to say eilidh but it comes out as Ellie :eek: iv started saying to people its just 'bailey without the b' not difficult! X

I use the bailey without a b! Or Hayley without the h... They don't always seem to get their head around it though,... I work for the railway and wear a name badge and seeing people screw their faces up at my name is kinda funny...

i know an old family friend called Eileen but her dad got it wrong when he went to register her and spelt it "Oileen" as he would pronounce it due to him being irish, now everyone calls her eileen but in a thick irish accent.

My name is Danielle which isn't exactly unheard of but I can't stand when people say Danny-Yell. No it's Dan-Yell. That's it! Tbh it's very very rare I use Danielle (mainly work and hospital appointments) I'm always either Dani, Dan or just D. My dad hates my name being shortened though, but he's become more lenient on it over the past few years he can just about tolerate Dan now!!

But somebody getting my kids name wrong - to a point of it being another name not even a mispronunciation would send me wild. I don't think there is much room for error with Freddie and Mollie though! Xx

LOL i TOTALLY agree!! As a danielle myself!! :p the Danny-elle ohhh i give the look of evil when thats said and im like noo i dan-yell lol :)

However my partner called me by his nicknames rather than my name but if he is talking about me to friends its danielle or dani and to my mum / family its dan lol

However my daughter has been called libby before and i've spoken up and said noo it's LIBERTY! lol i dunno what they call her in school lol but she has finally at 3.5 started saying her name as Li-Bu-tee used to be Li-ah-tia cos in wales they tend to add eeeyaa on the end of everythingggg!! For instance Baileya for my sons name thankfully he was sayion hois name correctly before they were not! lol

But yeah i hate it when ppl say my name or my kids name wrong.. and BREATHE!! lol

I've had this my entire life. My name is Jaclyn, like Jaclyn Smith from Charlies Angels, pronounced Jack-lyn. Its not difficult at all. But you wouldnt believe the amount of times I have to correct people who call me Jocelyn, Jacqueline, Jackie and even Jacinta!!!!!!
My mum said the best names are the ones that u have to correct people with, because they are unique lol x

My name is Jacqueline and I hate hate hate when people call me Jackie! Makes me rage inside as they have made a decision to call me that. I tell them early on its Jacq or Jacqueline, I hate Jackie. Just thinking one of our girl names, Zoë, at least cannot be shortened or changed or screwed up!

Don't be so sure, I know someone called Zoe and she shortens her own name to Zo! you can't win, you really can't!

My name is Danielle which isn't exactly unheard of but I can't stand when people say Danny-Yell. No it's Dan-Yell. That's it! Tbh it's very very rare I use Danielle (mainly work and hospital appointments) I'm always either Dani, Dan or just D. My dad hates my name being shortened though, but he's become more lenient on it over the past few years he can just about tolerate Dan now!!

But somebody getting my kids name wrong - to a point of it being another name not even a mispronunciation would send me wild. I don't think there is much room for error with Freddie and Mollie though! Xx

LOL i TOTALLY agree!! As a danielle myself!! :p the Danny-elle ohhh i give the look of evil when thats said and im like noo i dan-yell lol :)

However my partner called me by his nicknames rather than my name but if he is talking about me to friends its danielle or dani and to my mum / family its dan lol

However my daughter has been called libby before and i've spoken up and said noo it's LIBERTY! lol i dunno what they call her in school lol but she has finally at 3.5 started saying her name as Li-Bu-tee used to be Li-ah-tia cos in wales they tend to add eeeyaa on the end of everythingggg!! For instance Baileya for my sons name thankfully he was sayion hois name correctly before they were not! lol

But yeah i hate it when ppl say my name or my kids name wrong.. and BREATHE!! lol

Oh I'm another Danielle! Worst is when older people say Daniel!!!

I get some odd spellings too.

I've had this my entire life. My name is Jaclyn, like Jaclyn Smith from Charlies Angels, pronounced Jack-lyn. Its not difficult at all. But you wouldnt believe the amount of times I have to correct people who call me Jocelyn, Jacqueline, Jackie and even Jacinta!!!!!!
My mum said the best names are the ones that u have to correct people with, because they are unique lol x

My name is Jacqueline and I hate hate hate when people call me Jackie! Makes me rage inside as they have made a decision to call me that. I tell them early on its Jacq or Jacqueline, I hate Jackie. Just thinking one of our girl names, Zoë, at least cannot be shortened or changed or screwed up!

Lol GAH it winds me up so much! I cant tell u how many conversations I've had that go:
"Hi I'm Jaclyn"
"Oh, can I call you Jackie?"
"Ummm, no! Thats not my name!"
:banghead:

Lol GAH it winds me up so much! I cant tell u how many conversations I've had that go:
"Hi I'm Jaclyn"
"Oh, can I call you Jackie?"
"Ummm, no! Thats not my name!"
:banghead:

At least they ask lol!

My hubby gets so annoyed every time he introduces himself as Phillip and people immediately address him as Phil. He hates the short form of his name.

Likewise, our son is Zachary. Apart from being a name we love, we chose it because it can be shortened to Zach IF he wants to be called that later in life. We call him Zachary and introduce him as Zachary, but people still automatically shorten it to Zach!

That's one thing that puts me off one of my name choices....love Christian, don't like Chris!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back