Need some feedback on a girl's name - multi-cultural!

Okaasan

Reaction score
My friend has just given me a lovely suggestion for a name -

Aisha (I like it pronounced as written, rather than "Ayeesha")

It's set me thinking though, our baby is likely to be blonde-haired and blue-eyed. Do you think Aisha is just too associated with one culture? I would never call a boy eg. Ahmed or Said for example, not that they're not nice names but they wouldn't go!

I have no problems with the thought of giving her a traditionally "Arabic" name, happy to nick from anywhere! but I don't want her to get weird looks, or for people to roll their eyes and go "oh, middle-class Guardian-reading yoghurt-knitting parents"

Or do you think it can suit a British girl and not clash? :think:

Oh not at all - call you baby whatever you want! Aisha is a beautiful name that can suit any little girl as far as i'm concerned. the name i chose for my little boy is italian (Kenzo) and my baby will be black. and I don't care what others say, as long as you like the name. :D

Ahh, that's a cute name!

Just realised I wrote "british" when I just meant "white" :doh:

this is what comes of living in monocultural south west! nowt but blond surfers here!

laetitia85 said:
Oh not at all - call you baby whatever you want! Aisha is a beautiful name that can suit any little girl as far as i'm concerned. the name i chose for my little boy is italian (Kenzo) and my baby will be black. and I don't care what others say, as long as you like the name. :D

KENZO, Italian??????????
Are u joking??????? AHAHAHAHAHAHHA :lol: :think: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:
Ehm, kenzo doesnt mean anything in italian and if you are thinking about the stylist....well, he is from Japan!!!
http://www.japan-zone.com/modern/takada_kenzo.shtml

Sardinia said:
laetitia85 said:

KENZO, Italian??????????
Are u joking??????? AHAHAHAHAHAHHA :lol: :think: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:
Ehm, kenzo doesnt mean anything in italian and if you are thinking about the stylist....well, he is from Japan!!!

:shock: :roll:

Still a cute name, and in Japanese it has a number of meanings that are very suitable for a baby boy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenzo

I think people probably associate it more with Italy than Japan because the brand is more famous than the individual...

I understand what you mean but I will say go with a name you are comfortable with not what others may think.

Aisha is a pretty name I rather this spelling than Ayeesha

Sardinia said:
laetitia85 said:

KENZO, Italian??????????

I told my italian friend (funny enough) that Kenzo was from japan and that Ken meant "strong and healthy" and he started laughing, saying that it was definately italian - from Enzo - but that it didn't mean anything in particualr. Since that day I've believed that it was italian, however I did check the japanese meaning, and found out that ken was "strong and healthy" on a janapene website! so you're just proved my friend wrong! thanks for that

it is quite a arab/asian sounding name but it's a lovely name and if you love it thats what matters. my OH is arab and although im not pregnant yet we already decided on Aaliyah or Alisha which are quite similar to Aisha

i find that aisha is not usually pronounced ay - eesh - a its normally pronounced like isha like kind of in 2 syllables instead of 3 if u get wat i mean. good luck deciding hun! :)

my friend's little girl is aisha (pronouced Ay-sha) and she has blond hair and blue eyed - parents are white british muslims not arabs at all :)

My friends daughter is half pakistani and she is called Aisha. If you see her out with mum, you wouldnt think it was a weird name, it actually rolls off the tongue and is a lovely sounding name. It cant be shortened either, which is a bonus!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back