Pauric Henry 2-12-2010 *complete with birth story & postnatal days 1-19 added *

Mamafy

Reaction score
Well my little man arrived and not so early as I expected!

He weighed 7lb 9oz at 36+5 and is perfect, anyone on my FB will see that :)

I'm still a little unwell atm due to complications after his birth :( So full birth story will follow in a a few days xxx

BIRTH STORY

So it was about the 21st Novemeber I went into hospital feeling unwell, couldnt put my finger on it and neither could the dr's. They done tests and all was ok but they kept me in anyway. It wasn't until the 1st December that all became clear. I came back as having pre eclampsia and with a bp of 200/130 it was time to get my wee man out :(

I was sent till delivery room and my waters were broke at 7.45pm and a drip started. I thought my wee man would be here by midnight but all started very slow and it wasn't until after midnight that all kicked off. I'd always had fast deliveries and thought this would be no different. I progreesed to 9cm and then zilch for hours :( I finally got to 10cm early morning and the dr told me to push and nothing was happening. I was in extreme pain despite getting gas/air, pethidine and an epidural (which didn't work). I'd pushed him so far down the birth canal but he wasn't budging. My little mans heartrate dipped down and wasnt recovering so I was rushed to theatre. The dr started the section and still couldn't get him out and heartrate was still down :cry: so the head consultant in the hospital was called and he came in and said 'I'll scrub up' and they said no time so in he delved and pulled and pulled till my little man came out. At 1 minute his apgar was 2 and at 5 minutes it was 4, it was 8 at 10 minutes. I really thought we'd lost him :( Due to his bad start and being stuck in the birth canal for so long he was taken to Nicu where he remained for 72 hours but he was totally fine with no ill effects :)

However the days that followed I could never have prepared for.........

Postnatal days 1-19 to follow......

POSTNATAL DAYS 1-19 (in hospital)

So of course I was reeling from my babies birth, my beautiful lil man was here and safe :yay: I was told on day 1 to feel very battered and bruised the next day as it had been 'a very difficult c/section' (dr's trms). I was kept in the high dependancy for 36 hours but walked back to the ward. My theory was if I was fit to walk back then I could walk to see my wee man in NICU :yay:

I was back on the ward 4 hours when I felt really unwell, I asked one of the girls in the ward to call the nurse. My temperature was up so they sent bloods away and I was put on antibiotics. A UTI they suspected. It was day 3 and I thought I felt abit better but again my temp spiked and dr's were called again. More tests, more bloods, more antibiotics. Dr's were baffled :( I was also experiencing the most awful pain imaginable :(

It got to day 6 and I was feeding my wee man and I got a god awful pain and had to buzz the nurse. My temp was still up, the pains getting worse and the dr's had no idea what was wrong. I had seen every consultant in the hospital and none of them had any idea so a CT was ordered.

So at day 7 I had my first CT scan which revealed I had a possible DVT in the ovarian vein. So I was treated as having a clot and was to have another scan in 5 days. They weighed me and I had lost 14lbs but thought that was pretty normally. But the pain got no better, worse in fact. I have no idea how much pain medication I was on but none of it was working :( and I'd been on IV antibiotics (the strongest kind) for so long.

On day 10 I hadn't slept at all with the pain and I basically cried to the dr's to do something to help me :cry: They suggested morphine but I said no you have to find out whats wrong :( One of the dr's let it slip that if it had "just been the e coli" :shock: I was like WTF I had e coli? :shakehead:

So I was brought back to theatre for an exploration and basically was told most of the organs on my right side would need taken out and checked :shock: So my bowel, kidney, gallbladder etc. I was told my wound would be reopened and stapled and that I'd be in recovery for 2 hours then back to the ward. I woke in ICU :oooo: and you know what I still don't know why or why I stayed there for over 24 hours :wall2: I was told they had found a 100ml absess in the corner of my uterus and part of my bowel had stuck to my womb but they were confident no damage was done.

I was taken back to the ward and felt horrendous pain despite a morphine driver on :( But it was on day 12 that things really changed for very bad to horrendous :(

I awoke and took 1 sip of tea and began to vomit. Not your average vomit, nothing I'd ever saw before :( I was rused to HDU and made to drink that awful aniseed crap you have to drink before a CT scan :sick: I had to drink 900ml of the stuff while vommitting :eh: but only managed half that before I was taken down. I was so ill, my obs were poor and the dr's decided to call my family to the hospital and they were told I might not make it. That basically they had gave me all they could and it was up to my body now to start working or continue to shut down :cry:

The scan revealed all my internal organs had fluid in them and around them, my small bowel had blocked, my colon had collaped, I had pneumonia in my right lung, bowel was paralyzed. Tests revealed I also had septacaemia. I saw the look of horror on my hubbys face after he'd spoke to dr's. I asked him was I going to be ok and he said he didn't know :cry:

I dehydrated, my mineral levels went to the floor, my platelet levels were sky I continutredhigh.

A bowel surgeon visited me and put a nasal gastro tube down. OMFG how sore was that :mad: but it helped heal my bowel so it begain to work :dance:
I continued to improve over the next few days and on day 16 I was out of HDU :yay:
On day 19 I begged to go home as it was 21/12 and I wanted home for Xmas, even though I still wasn't well so they let me :)

Currently I'm still in pain and had my 3rd CT scan today so we'll see what that says but I'm expecting some damage to be revealed. The consultant has already said he thinks I have colitus :( There are about 3-4 areas in the abdomen that are in pain :wall2:

So not the nice straight forward birth I'd come to expect.......................

Thanks for reading :kiss:

Last edited:
Congratulations!! Hope you feel better soon xx

huge CONGRATUATIONS! and hope ur recovering well x x

Huge huge congrats! Must add you on fb! Hope you feel better soon honey x

Congrats mamafy! He is a gorgeous little man! Hope you feel better soon x x

Congrats Mamafy!! Hope you feel better soon xxx

:hug: so glad to see you on here again my darling xxxx

Congratulations hun, hope you feel loads better soon xxxx

Congratulations , here's to a speedy recovery:hugs:

congrats mamafy , cant wait till ur back and feelin a-ok! xx

Congratulations mamafy!! hope your feeling better soon :hugs:

Congratulations Hun hope your better soon x

yay mamafy is back!! :D i have seen him on facebook, hes mega mega cute! lovely name choice too!! congratulations on a not so early baby! xx

Congratulations, hope you're completly better soon xx

Congratulations, glad he is here safe and well and I wish you a speedy recovery xx

:yay: your back!! Well done chick, he is scrummy :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back