Colby's birth story

Sassysugar

Reaction score
C arrived at 16:08hrs on 15th September (on his due date :dance:) weighing 9lbs 4oz!

It all started on Wednesday evening at about 22:30hrs. I went to the toilet and there was a little bit of blood in my pants and in the toilet. I rang the assessment centre and they said it was probably my show which can happen a couple of weeks before. So I decided I would have a shower. As I was leaning over to take my trousers off I suddenly felt a gush and when I looked there was loads of jelly and blood so my mucus plug had just gone.

I carried on and had a shower and as I was trying to put my clean pants on I felt another gush and my waters went all over the floor. :shock:

I rang the assessment centre again and they said to come in and get monitored so off we went to the hospital.

Got there and they hooked my up to the monitor and confirmed that my waters had broken and I was 1cm. I was getting BH, but they seemed to changed while I was hooked up and started to get painful so they decided to keep me in. OH was sent home and I was moved to a different ward and told to get some sleep. I walked round a bit and then tried to sleep but was unable due to the pains every 10 to 15 mins, so by 4:30am I asked if I could get some painkillers. MW said she would check me and found that I was 4cm and that they would send me up to the labour ward and I should ring OH to come back in. He arrived just after 5am.

I wanted an active birth but because I was diagnosed with cholestasis on 14th Sept they said they would have to monitor baby throughout the labour, so was hooked up to the machine and given G&A (great stuff made me feel really drunk :lol:) Colby kept having little rest periods so they kept having to get me to change position, but he seemed quite happy. They also told me that he had passed some merconium so needed to keep an eye on him.

They asked if I wanted any diamorphine as I was quite sore but I was concerned about it making him sleepy so just carried on with G&A. They checked me regularly and by 12pm I was fully dilated, but my contractions seemed to be getting longer instead of shorter, so they needed to put a canula in to give me a hormone drip to get them going again. It took 4 attempts to get it in and then during one of my contractions (which all seemed to be in my back) I pulled it out by accident as I was trying to rub my back!:wall2: So they had to come back in and fit it again!

They then said they thought he was nearly back to back and that we may need to consider an epidural to get me through it (they were also talking about c-section as he was quite big and not coming down the correct way) While they were talking about this, I apparently looked like I was pushing so they had another look and my wee man had turned round into the correct position so epidural scrapped (to my relief :))

As the drip had kicked in they decided that I should start pushing as I had also started to poo and this is a great sign that he is coming down the birth canal etc (I'm not ashamed of this as the mw's see it every day and they were great at keeping me clean etc) The contractions were very painful at this time too, so at 1:30pm they said I should start pushing and they would give me an hour before they would intervene. I pushed for nearly 2 hours and they also said to stop using the G&A so that I could properly feel the contractions to push. It was really hard work and I was so exhausted, but by 3:30pm he was nearly there but not crowning so it was decided they would give a helping hand as they didn't want him to start getting too distressed.

I had some local anaesthetic so they could do an episiotomy and then used the ventouse to help get Colby out. OH said he couldn’t believe how much they have to pull to get baby out with the ventouse. I felt relief when the head was out and with another push the rest of his body came. It all seems a bit of a blur. Colby was quickly set on my chest before being taken away by the paediatricians to help get him breathing as he had mucus in his lungs from him pooing etc, it was great hearing him cry!!

They took a strep b swab from his nose (due to my waters breaking quite early on) and cleaned him up for me. OH took him while I was stitched up etc. I had the injection to get rid of the placenta. It came out within a few minutes but it made me sick and I started to throw up.

I was able to give him a feed and then he got loads more cuddles from daddy! I know I didn’t get the active birth I wanted but I am so happy that I did it all on G&A and I don’t mind that I needed help at the end to get Colby out. I’m really proud of my body and think I’m really lucky to have had such a good birth.

Afterwards the nurses came in to help me into the bath but I couldn’t sit up on the bed. Everytime I tried I felt woozy and nearly passed out. I was sick a few times more too. They gave me a bed bath which was great but they wanted to try and move me to the next ward, but I just didn’t have the strength. It was 1am before they managed to get me moved, it took that long to get me up off the bed and into a wheel chair. It turns out I went anaemic due to blood loss and I needed 2 blood transfusions. I was nervous about this, but they made me feel so much better. Colby was born on the Thursday and I got out of hospital on the Saturday evening.

I can’t fault the hospital they were absolutely fantastic and I’m really pleased with how everything went and I now have my wonderful wee man!!

Turns out I had strep b (they had taken swabs in the assessment centre but it didn't show up then) so on the saturday Colby had a little antibiotic injection as a precaution but apparently because he was such a good weight and so healthy he didn't need anything else!

We did have to go back into hospital on the Sunday as the mw had been out to check him and he had lost quite a bit of weight, 10.8% , down to 8lbs 5oz, they said this was due to me being so poorly after the birth, he was feeding but my anaemia was taking its toll. He had a couple of blood tests one for dehydration and one to see infection markers for strep b but both came back fine and we were discharged home.

He is now going from strength to strength, we are doing so much better at breastfeeding and mw was back out again today and he is now up at 8lbs 15ozs, so great weight gain too :dance::)

Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long!

Last edited:
Congrats again hun and well done. He's gorgeous! Xx

:love: Congrats. You did amazingly and so, like you say, you should be proud!

Hes a beauty :) x

Congrats hun and well done, he is gorgeous xxx

Sent from my nearly buggared iPhone!!

aw hon! he is so cute and well done you! xxx congratulations!!!!

Brilliant job hun, feel very pleased for you :)

Lxx

Congrats :)

I really admire your attitude towards a "drug free" birth and omg he is sooo cute xx

Congratulations again what a gorgeous little baby boy xxx

Thanks everyone, he's just great! Here's another wee pic with daddy

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317105399.159432.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317105399.159432.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 5
Oh, how cute. Congratulations xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads