oww my tooth!

catty1

Reaction score
For the last few days I have been in terrible pain from my lower right wisdom tooth. It has not broken through fully but I have had a tiny tip of it through for the last 10 years or so and has never caused me problems before.
It’s awful as I can’t take anything more than Paracetemol and even that is making me worry it is hurting the baby. My work colleagues keep trying to foist Ibuprofen and all sorts on me and I’m having to pretend I have already had some. My throat is also really red and I don’t know if that’s because of the tooth or because I am ill on top of that. I am in so much pain from the tooth I could have malaria and not notice!
I have an urgent dentist appointment for tomorrow and I’m terrified it will need removing. As it is not through it will need loads of digging out and they won’t be able to give me anything stronger than a regular local.
Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do, I’m petrified.

they will prob giv u anti-biotics tbh hun which are safe to take when ur preggers! they will remove it but after baby they wnt rsk doing it before x

I had this with all 4 of my wisdom teeth and the only thing I could do is wait it out. I have been on my dentists waiting list for 6 months with no sign of ever getting in :( I have a tooth that badly needs filling but by the time I get there, I think it will need removing as it's more hole than tooth!

All my wisdom teeth were agony coming through but the pain only lasted a couple of weeks whilst it was going through a growing spurt. I'm expecting another spurt soon so I'm sure i'll be back in pain before long.

Only advice i can offer is warm drinks, warm flannel on the side of the face, paracetamol and plenty of sympathy.

HUGS

xxxx

ive got a trapped nerve in my mouth on the upper right hand side, the tooth needs removing but they wont do it while im pregnant and its agony! :-( it has played up before so i should have sorted it ages ago but i didnt and now im paying for it! I feel your pain hun :-(

Oh god tooth ache is the WORST pain you can have! I really feel for you! I think im starting to get an abscess :(
Hope your mouth stops hurting soon xxx

Last edited:
they will only do dental work if it is a complete emergancy and then i still dont think they touch the wisdom tooth as it bleeds more if though i did have this done on my 3rd pregnancy my dentist was a bit of a cowboy and i only found this out when i moved dentist eeek but my new dentist said if your pregnant fillings or tooth removal is a big no no

Oh no, I don't know if I can take 1 more day of this pain let alone 6 more months. I guess I will see what they say tomorrow.

I have never been in so much pain. I keep saying that to people at work and they reply with 'oh you think this hurts, you've never experienced childbirth'. Surprisingly that isn't helping!

I'm now sat at home crying my eyes out as it hurts so much. I phoned NHS direct but they said there's not much I can do as my nearest out of hours emergency dentist is nearly an hour away and they shut at 10.30. My face is swelling up now and I have a noticable lump on my jawline which I can only assume is an abcess.
Presumably when I see the dentist tomorrow they won't leave me in this state, I have'nt slept for nearly 40 hours and I can't see me getting much tonight.
I'm absolutely petrified

Oh hun I don't know what to suggest as tooth ache is absolutely the worst pain - sending you a massive :hug: xxx

((((HUGS)))) To you sweetie x

Its pregnancy that plays havoc with your teeth, I had this with Sam, I hope they can offer you something to help tomorrow xxxxx

you will be given antibiotics if its an abcess hun xx

do you have bonjela in the house put loads of that on failing that and I promise this wont do baby harm put raw vodka or whisky on it the alcohol will numb the pain, a bit, and also kill any infection there xx

make sure u keep it extra extra clean there. u can get an antibacterial moutwash called corsodyl that will help loads. keep rinsing out with taht it will take the swelling down.u could have food trapped there thats amking it sore for u
if u do go and see a dentist they will just prob give u some antibiotics to reduce the swelling. or u can rinse with warm salty water 2 help 2.
i'm a dental nurse by the way. any more questions just pm me.

Definitely sounds like an abcess and you can take antibiotics while preggers. The dentist will decide what's best ;)
I had two wisdom teeth out just before I got pg. I had it done at a hospital my dentist referred me to as they were both broken off and giving me all kinds of pain. Getting them out involved a LOT of digging about as one had pretty much nothing left on the surface and the other was broken in half.
Now for the good news :D
I had it done under local anaesthetic and I was sedated. You can't be sedated while pg, but that has no effect on the pain.. it was just to keep me calm, lol :D The procedure took less than half an hour, I felt NO pain at all with just a local, and was eating a sandwich the nurses gave me within 45 mins of leaving theatre. I had very little pain afterwards, didn't need the painkillers they gave me and practically no bleeding at all.
And it is AMAZING not to have toothache anymore. The teeth had needed doing for years, but while in Spain I just didn't trust a dentist enough to see one. Some of the dentists there are a bit dodgy, like they only have licences for certain procedures (i.e they can take teeth out, but not fill them... what the heck is that about??) so i just kept putting it off.
Moral of the story is - See your dentist, follow their advice and if they offer to take it out under local.. do it. :D I'm the biggest baby EVER when it comes to dentists.. but for me, the pros have far outweighed the cons.
Let us know how you get on :hug: xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back