November 2020 mums

So what is everyone's thoughts on maternity leave?

My plan is to keep going till 38 weeks. My works policy is that I have to use up my holiday before starting maternity leave but I have no idea how much that'll be so I need to have that conversation with HR.

My job is basically all manual labour and on my feet so I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to 38 weeks, since I was on crutches for the last month last time and I can feel the ache in my hips starting again already. But I'm hoping that I can use holiday instead of sick leave so it doesn't trigger my mat leave early if I do have to go off.

My GP told me that currently the advice is for 3rd trimester women should be working from home, so my work is under the current belief that I will be going back on leave in 4 weeks, but I think the advice will have changed by then.

I want to take a year, but my husband also wants to take some time off so we are negotiating at the moment!!

Hope you all enjoy your weekends, sounds like you have fun plans! We have no plans and can't decide anything so the kids are running wild in the house at the moment while I drink coffee!!

@CharliC
Back pain during pregnancy seems pretty awful. So far my back feels fine but I do get occaisional symphysis pubis discomfort. Hopefully you don't get your back pain as bad this time! Have you got yourself a belt or tried any taping for it?

I must say I find a lot of the medical advice about the virus to be pretty rubbish. It keeps changing and honestly at one point I kept hearing that COVID is not considered to affect pregnant women worse than non-pregnant women. The data really is not there to back that up. The data about similar illnesses such as the flu is pretty overwhelming. And COVID is worse than the flu.
And I would say to your GP that febrile illness is actually worse for the developing baby in the second trimester than the third. There is plenty of data out there to back that up too. I feel like the needs of the workplace have been placed above the needs of pregnant ladies during this pandemic. *rant over*.

@EmilyMaria I know what you mean about the advice, it's frustrating for us that no one knows anything!! I think I'm lucky that I trust my workplace to consider my needs, it's a big university that prides itself on its staff's work/life balance (they go on about it so much) - they wouldnt let me back until the GP had allowed it. But it's the knowledge at GP level that seems lacking - my GP only came across the 3rd trimester advice because she has a friend whose just gone through it.

I have tubi-grip that the midwives have given me to support bump and hold things more in place but when I wear it it just seems to hurt more. So I'll need to try something else I think!!

I am lucky with my maternity leave. I am currently home working due to Covid, so I am going to try and work up to my due date but saying that I am getting a lot of back pain, so who knows. I am planning on taking 12 months off and using holiday as well.

I am lucky with my maternity leave. I am currently home working due to Covid, so I am going to try and work up to my due date but saying that I am getting a lot of back pain, so who knows. I am planning on taking 12 months off and using holiday as well.

Similar for me. I'm working from home and will be doing so up until the day I give birth (unless I have some holiday left to tack onto the days before November 19th) I'll then take six months of my maternity leave and give the last six to my husband under the Shared Parental Leave scheme. We can't afford for me to miss out on more of my wage as I earn more than D and my pay would drop to statutory maternity pay at nine months but we should be able to cope with D on statutory pay and me on my full wage. I'll be doing three days working from home still after that though so it won't be a sudden wrench to be away from D and Gilly :)

My back pain is getting worse. A few months before I got pregnant I had a fall at the train station and landed on my left hip. It's been a bit dodgy since then and all my back pain is centred on that one hip x__X I wake up in the night now with my hips screaming and I have no idea how to make it not hurt. Switching to my other side doesn't help :(

@Kelly1991 how are you feeling now? Did you ever get a definitive answer after all those tests?

@SockVortex that sounds like such a nice plan. D and Gilly will have such a special bond. At least working from home you dont need to commute anywhere and can have lactation breaks.
Will you be moved into your new house by then?

@CharliC yeah I have seen pregnant ladies squish into tubigrip before and thought that it did not look very comfy at all. The belts you wear right down low over your pelvis might be more comfortable. Ask if you can see a womens health physio next time you see your midwife. Some gentle strength work might be in order too!

@Kelly1991 how are you feeling now? Did you ever get a definitive answer after all those tests?

@SockVortex that sounds like such a nice plan. D and Gilly will have such a special bond. At least working from home you dont need to commute anywhere and can have lactation breaks.
Will you be moved into your new house by then?

@CharliC yeah I have seen pregnant ladies squish into tubigrip before and thought that it did not look very comfy at all. The belts you wear right down low over your pelvis might be more comfortable. Ask if you can see a womens health physio next time you see your midwife. Some gentle strength work might be in order too!
Morning, it wasn’t a blood clot. They wasn’t really sure what it was. They assumed it was my asthma and accuse me of not managing it ( which was a total lie). They didn’t even ask me about my asthma the whole time and they wouldn’t tell me where they got that information from. I did have a lymph node which was infected as they assumed the pain was caused from that. I am feeling better but still feeling tightness in my chest. If it get worse I will go pop back. The whole thing was so upsetting and I didn’t like how the tried to blame me for the chest pains. I have a appointment with my consultant next month, so I will mention it then.

@SockVortex That’s sounds like a good plan. We haven’t really thought that far ahead head. I am hoping my partner can work from home once the baby is here (wishful thinking).

25 weeks and looking looking proper pregnant now.

View attachment 91223

Yay! Such a cute bump :D Definitely no mistaking it now!

On Saturday I was waiting in the queue for the loos in a park and a lady came out and said 'Oh I would have let you go in first! Sorry, I didn't see that you were pregnant.'

I was so happy haha. Finally, it's noticeable to strangers!

Oh and in reply to your other question, yes we will be in the new house by then :) We move in March when Gil will be four months old.

@SockVortex
That is so exciting. Have you worked out the floor plan for your new home? Will you get to choose your own colour scheme and fittings? I'm obsessed with looking at realestate. Hubby and I built a house 18 months ago.

We choose a lovely block with an outlook over the bush. It was absolutely crazy last year coming home from our honeymoon to fire about 500 meters away from our new house. Luckily none of the houses in our area were lost.

@SockVortex
That is so exciting. Have you worked out the floor plan for your new home? Will you get to choose your own colour scheme and fittings? I'm obsessed with looking at realestate. Hubby and I built a house 18 months ago.

We choose a lovely block with an outlook over the bush. It was absolutely crazy last year coming home from our honeymoon to fire about 500 meters away from our new house. Luckily none of the houses in our area were lost.

Oh god I can't even imagine how scary bush fires must be :( People who live here complain a lot about the UK but in reality there aren't any wild animals that can kill us (no snakes or spiders etc) and our only real housing danger is flooding. We're pretty damn lucky in terms of natural environment!

I'll send you a link to our development :D Yes, we get to choose tiles, flooring, kitchen cabinets and carpets as we've got in before they've even broken ground on our particular house. So exciting! We're big lovers of Art Deco so we've chosen Spanish cherry faux parquet for the bathrooms, kitchen and hallway. The exact flooring is below and our kitchen cabinets and work top will be very similar to this photo:

ap05_spanish-cherry_rs_res_kitchen_image.ashx

Anyone bought any maternity knickers? I'd like a few pairs for wearing under my jeans as the best pair of jeans I've found so far pull my regular knickers down *sigh* Always an issue with maternity clothes it seems! Ideally I need an over the bump pair that have full bum coverage. There's nothing worse than getting a wedgie the minute you leave your front door, haha! I normally just buy knickers from Marks and Spencers but they don't seem to do any of the kind I want. My hips remain my pre-pregnancy size of 6/8 making this challenge extra hard x__x

Anyone bought any maternity knickers? I'd like a few pairs for wearing under my jeans as the best pair of jeans I've found so far pull my regular knickers down *sigh* Always an issue with maternity clothes it seems! Ideally I need an over the bump pair that have full bum coverage. There's nothing worse than getting a wedgie the minute you leave your front door, haha! I normally just buy knickers from Marks and Spencers but they don't seem to do any of the kind I want. My hips remain my pre-pregnancy size of 6/8 making this challenge extra hard x__x

I've never used them as I've always managed with buying a bigger size of knickers (my bum grows as quickly as my bump ) but sainsburys do some: SKU Maternity 2pk Modal Bump Band (bagged out, no elastic):Black

Also so do JoJo Maman Bebe if you have more pennies to spend.

I've also just bought my regular undies in a bigger size.

I'm finding that I am in an awkward stage where nothing fits me properly. I hate shopping online but there is literally no other way to buy maternity clothes.

@CrazyChic I looked at the JoJo ones but the legs looked cut too high. I’ll have a look at Sainsbury’s :)

@EmilyMaria I know right?? So annoying. All I want to do is go to a shop and try something on without having to order it in try it on and then post it back.

@SockVortex My bum hasn’t grown in either pregnancy so I feel your pain .. You can get maternity knickers that are low cut/V shaped at the front so the bump/pants don’t force them down. The over bump ones made me feel soo frumpy lol

@SockVortex My bum hasn’t grown in either pregnancy so I feel your pain .. You can get maternity knickers that are low cut/V shaped at the front so the bump/pants don’t force them down. The over bump ones made me feel soo frumpy lol

The kind of knickers I have now are bikini style ones so are low cut anyway. The jeans still manage to work them down. Probably because I have no hips! Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back