November 2020 mums

Yup, I get very anxious about the 20 week scan or so then the 12 week. You got any feeling if its a boy or girl?

We keep calling the baby ‘she’ and my mum is adamant that it’s a girl haha but personally I have no idea. I am the oldest in my family and D has an older sister so I suppose that’s why we say ‘she’?

How about you?

And yeah I’m nervous too. More so on days when baby doesn’t kick as much :/

Yes this is the plan for us - film the kids cutting into the cake and then send the video of them and their reactions to my family. I'm worried for my son, I hope he doesn't get too upset!!

How did your son take the news?
Maybe he can pick a toy or book for him to give to the new baby to help him adjust to the idea of another girl?

Has anyone got solid names picked out?

We keep calling the baby ‘she’ and my mum is adamant that it’s a girl haha but personally I have no idea. I am the oldest in my family and D has an older sister so I suppose that’s why we say ‘she’?

How about you?

And yeah I’m nervous too. More so on days when baby doesn’t kick as much :/

My Dad got the gender dead wrong for me and my two brothers each time. This time round he thought I was having a girl and of course he was incorrect again.

That being said this whole pregnancy I had a 'boy' feeling and just kept picturing the baby as a boy. I guess we all basically have a 50% chance of our 'intuition' being correct.

I think most people tend to predict the gender based on what they have a bit of a preference for deep down ;)

How did your son take the news?
Maybe he can pick a toy or book for him to give to the new baby to help him adjust to the idea of another girl?

Has anyone got solid names picked out?
He was really upset that night, but he's coming round to the idea now and still seems as excited about the baby as he was before.

We are 99.9% sure we are going to use the name we have picked out. Actually it'd be useful to get your opinions on the middle name as that's a sticking point for me. So the middle name is my husband's grandpa's middle name, and he died last year and also it's a variation of the name my son's named the baby 'loveheart'. I like it but I don't want to saddle her with a name she's not going to like. My husband is 100% for it.

The names 'Mara Love *surname*'

Our other issue is that my friend called her daughter Mara last year. Mara was already on our names list as our favourite. I don't think it'll be an issue using it though!!

If you really love that first name I say use it! It will be your baby's name for life. Sometimes friends do come and go and it might not really matter that there are two Maras around. You might distinguish them with different nicknames over time anyway. I actually haven't met or known anyone by the name of Mara. Is it a popular name in the UK?

He was really upset that night, but he's coming round to the idea now and still seems as excited about the baby as he was before.

We are 99.9% sure we are going to use the name we have picked out. Actually it'd be useful to get your opinions on the middle name as that's a sticking point for me. So the middle name is my husband's grandpa's middle name, and he died last year and also it's a variation of the name my son's named the baby 'loveheart'. I like it but I don't want to saddle her with a name she's not going to like. My husband is 100% for it.

The names 'Mara Love *surname*'

Our other issue is that my friend called her daughter Mara last year. Mara was already on our names list as our favourite. I don't think it'll be an issue using it though!!
Just jumping thread, sorry.
I think it really depends on the individual and some other factors - Are you close friends? Do you see each other often? Will the children be around each other a lot.
personally I couldn’t think of anything worse calling my child the same name as friends child. Are you going to give your friend the heads up to see how she feels about it?
Obviously it all comes down to you as parents to pick the name that you love. I have never heard of Mara, how would you pronounce it? X

@chattychar1990 It rhymes with Zara, Lara, Sara and Tara. Mah-ra. Like ‘Matilda’ actress Mara Wilson :)

@CharliC I love Mara. We had a similar problem with a friend of a friend a year ago suddenly deciding she liked Hero (for a boy??) but thankfully she didn’t use it. She’s now pregnant again but is due a while after us so no idea whether she’ll still use it :/

You have to weigh up how much it’s going to bother you for them to share names. Are the girls likely to spend a lot of time together? Does your friend know you love the name too?

@EmilyMaria It’s ranked #587 with 70 babies born in 2018. So not massively popular but definitely climbing. When the ONS stats come out for last year in August we’ll have a better prediction of how many will be born this year :)

@EmilyMaria it's relatively common, more so here in Scotland I'd say. it's the name of a character in a fantasy book me and my husband loved a while ago but I'd forgotten it until a friend told me her friend had called their daughter it. It's Scottish Gaelic for 'Sea' and I'm a marine biologist who used to scuba dive for a living so I think it's a perfect name. If I'd remembered it before my daughter was born I would have used it for her.

@chattychar1990 as socks said, it rhymes with Tara and Lara. My friend calling her daughter it is the one thing that's giving me concern. I'd be telling her we want to use it - we have mentioned we love it and it's on our name list for future children before and I want to give her the chance to object strongly and hear her reasons. I do really love it and I think I'll regret not using it. But I understand why you wouldn't!

@SockVortex We aren't the closest friends and I think I'd it wasn't for facebook we wouldn't really see each other but we do have friends in common so see each other at parties and things. But there's every chance that a child could go to school and become best friends with someone of the same name so I'm not too worried about how often the girls will see each other. I definitely think I'll regret not using it so I think we will!!

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!!

@EmilyMaria it's relatively common, more so here in Scotland I'd say. it's the name of a character in a fantasy book me and my husband loved a while ago but I'd forgotten it until a friend told me her friend had called their daughter it. It's Scottish Gaelic for 'Sea' and I'm a marine biologist who used to scuba dive for a living so I think it's a perfect name. If I'd remembered it before my daughter was born I would have used it for her.

@chattychar1990 as socks said, it rhymes with Tara and Lara. My friend calling her daughter it is the one thing that's giving me concern. I'd be telling her we want to use it - we have mentioned we love it and it's on our name list for future children before and I want to give her the chance to object strongly and hear her reasons. I do really love it and I think I'll regret not using it. But I understand why you wouldn't!

@SockVortex We aren't the closest friends and I think I'd it wasn't for facebook we wouldn't really see each other but we do have friends in common so see each other at parties and things. But there's every chance that a child could go to school and become best friends with someone of the same name so I'm not too worried about how often the girls will see each other. I definitely think I'll regret not using it so I think we will!!

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!!

It’s a really lovely choice :)

@CharliC if she is more if a 'facebook' friend then I say go for it!

@SockVortex when I was choosing names picking a name not in the top 10 (or tipped to be rising massively) was a big deal for me. But I still wanted the baby to have a name that people recognised as a name and could spell.

@CharliC if she is more if a 'facebook' friend then I say go for it!

@SockVortex when I was choosing names picking a name not in the top 10 (or tipped to be rising massively) was a big deal for me. But I still wanted the baby to have a name that people recognised as a name and could spell.

Yup! That’s the best way of doing it. Avoid the top ten and anything trending but keep it grounded :)

I spoke to my friend last night and she was excited about the idea, so that's awesome :)

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! Baby spent half an hour last night kicking me in the bladder - that was a wierd sensation!! I jiggled about enough finally to get her to move so I wouldn't have to just keep peeing all night!

I spoke to my friend last night and she was excited about the idea, so that's awesome :)

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! Baby spent half an hour last night kicking me in the bladder - that was a wierd sensation!! I jiggled about enough finally to get her to move so I wouldn't have to just keep peeing all night!

Yay! That’s great news about your friend :)

Sorry the wee one was kicking you in the bladder x__x That sounds horrid. I wish mine would move more! He/she really makes me worry when it’s a quiet day :/

I’m ok. We went for a long walk around a park yesterday and have another long walk today as we’re taking the car in for servicing *sigh*.

My lower back has been so sore lately x__x

Hey, I'm good thanks how are you?

My nipples arent sore but been leaking a little bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back