New to PF, 1st month trying for baby after being on Mercilon for 10 years

EmmaN27

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new to PF today and just wanted some advice on a couple of things:

1) Has anyone else been on Mercilon and if so, did you have any problems with ovulating/periods when you come off it or did your cycles return to normal straight away? I took my last pill on Sunday 18 September and started artificial bleeding on Tuesday 20 September which finished on Sunday 25 September, when roughly should I expect to be ovulating?

2) In regards to lubrication, can you still get pregnant when using lubrication? We have been using a Durex Play as it's almost impossible to do it without lubrication (too painful).

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

Last edited:
Some people ovulate within a couple of weeks of taking their last pill. I was on the pill for 10 years but had a total nightmare when I came off it so am not the best person to give you any advice.

You can purchase ovulation prediction kits form the internet and you use them in the same way as a pregnancy test and they give you a positive result on the day before you are due to ovulate. Most people use them from day 8 or9 of their cycle.

pre-seed is a conception-safe lubricant.

Welcome by the way, hope you enjoy it here :wave: and good luck with TTC x

hi and welcome to pf :wave:

for lubrication im not sure whats safe but pre-seed lube is meant to be a good one and is very sperm friendly, i dont think many are.

as for ov it depends on how long ur cycles usually are, but after coming of the pill this could take a while to establish.

xx

Thanks ladies.

Sorry, one more question as I really don't have a clue about how the body works when trying for a baby, do you always get CM when you are ovulating? I haven't had any so far so I'm assuming that I haven't ovulated yet. Is this a way of knowing when you are ovulating?

yeah u should get quite a bit of ewcm (egg white cm) which is really clear and stretchy, and u usually get this around ovulation time. xx

I don't personally. I have only ever got it once. When I ovulated during the month that I got pregnant there was none of note. Tell tale signs are different for everyone x

Hi Emma,

I'm still fairly new here too but just wanted to say hi!!! I've read that bog standard lube is not recommended when trying but if the ladies who are experienced in trying suggest pre-seed you should look into it :)

I came off the pill in August, had my 'bleed' and suspected pregnancy over the last 2 weeks but turned out to be my body regulating again. I literally just come on this evening, so my cycle was 36 days instead of the 28 days I'm use to. That's not too bad but I will have to monitor it over the coming months. Have you done a google search for that particular birth control, might give you a better idea from people who have used it if no one on here has?

Being in a similar circumstances I don't know when I'm ovulating and don't plan on tracking it just yet. In regards to cervical mucus I found this site really good:

http://www.cervicalmucus.org/

There are some websites that show you pictures of cervixes during the cycle but that might be too much information...I found it interesting though :)

Good luck!!
xxx

Ooops, not sure if we are allowed to post links? Ignoring the adverts it generally gives a good description for each stage of CM during a womans cycle. x

Thanks Princess81, it's useful to know that not everyone gets CM when ovulating.

Thanks for info Tara, I did do a search online and see some positive responses from people using same pill saying their cycles returned to normal straight away, guess everyone's different so will just have to wait and see what happens. I have been getting some cramp like pains which I know can be a sign of ovulation but it could also be symptoms of coming off pill.

x

When I wasn't on the pill I usually get a stitch like feeling in my right side (guessing it's my ovary) roughly around the 14th day. Last thursday (CD 30) I had the most horrendous pain on my right side. So bad I limped when I walked, not sure what that was but not stressing unless it continues. Also I'm a whimp with pain so what I experienced may be normal for some :)

Good luck with tracking your cycle, if you have an android/smart phone you might want to download a period tracker. Pink pad and Ovuview are really good, especially if you are TTC.

xx

Hi Emma, I came off the pill end of july after being on it for 10 years (i was on yasmin) and had my "pill bleed" begining of august (i think).....the cycle after that one was 34 days before AF came along.....this month I am now on CD 34 and still no sign of af so think body is still adjusting. like the girls have said it depends on ur body as everyone is diferent...some girls can take somethi like 3 months to get their firt "real bleed"

As for the lubricant, the girls areright pre-seed is the best to use as its sperm safe

welcome to the forum, hopefully u will find it an amazing support xxx

Thanks ladies, I'm really impressed with how much information is shared on this forum, learnt so much already!

I was on mercilon for about 10 years I went back to normal straight away but didn't ttc until about a year later. I also don't get cm when ovulating. I found I had a period that lasted 2 weeks then been regular ever since. Good luck x

Thanks Lesley. that's very helpful to hear from a previous Mercilon user. :)

Think I may have ovulated as I've been getting a lot of twinges the last few days and have felt bit sick x

Last edited:
Tara1985 - how are you getting on with your cycle now? I'm not really sure what my body is doing but been getting twinges last few days and have been feeling bit sick so I'm hoping I've ovulated by now as this works out to be CD 20.

x

Hi Emma and other girls

Also new to the thread as from today. I am taking my last placebo pill in my Mercilon pack tomorrow. Then I'm off the pill after 6 years of taking it. Don't know what to expect. Hopefully my body will adjust fine. Will keep you posted.

:)

Hi all

I'm new to PF today and just wanted some advice on a couple of things:

1) Has anyone else been on Mercilon and if so, did you have any problems with ovulating/periods when you come off it or did your cycles return to normal straight away? I took my last pill on Sunday 18 September and started artificial bleeding on Tuesday 20 September which finished on Sunday 25 September, when roughly should I expect to be ovulating?

2) In regards to lubrication, can you still get pregnant when using lubrication? We have been using a Durex Play as it's almost impossible to do it without lubrication (too painful).

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

Hi and welcome aboard!

I can't help with the lube issue BUT I was on Mercilon for 4 years.

I stopped taking it in mid Feb, had one period (pretty much at normal time in mid March) and then got pregnant in April. Sadly it wasn't my sticky bean but I did get preggers super quick :shock:

I am not sure excly what date you will ov but there are so many calculators online. I use the BBC ovulation calculator!

Best of luck!

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Welcome GabyG. I've had a lot of on and off cramping pain since coming off the pill so not sure if that's my body getting used to not having it anymore.

Hi Carnat, nice to hear from another Mercilon user. I am on CD 31 and still no sign of AF. Did a HPT this morning and it was negative so just have to wait and see what happens. I got quite strong lines on OPKs on CD 24 and CD 25 (very faint lines on CD 22, 23, 26 and 27) so it could be possible I ovulated later than the average person. Didn't have OPKs earlier in my cycle so don't know if I ovulated earlier.

x

Hi Emma,

Sorry, missed your post earlier. I don't think I can confidently say what my 'normal' cycle is but from my phone app I have a 34 day cycle and yesterday (the 20th) I had the most incredible ovulation pain on the left side. I actually was walking bent over, if it continues over the next couple of cycles I will go to the docs to check for cysts. How are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back