Been trying for 18 months :(

greekgirl84

Reaction score
Hi,
i am new to forums but feel i need to talk to people who understand. everyone keeps telling me to stop stressing and relax but i am so desperate for a baby. i am happily married since july but we started trying in feb 2010 after our engagement. My husband longs to be a dad and gets so excited when we talk about it. i was having regular periods up until about 4 months ago when they have gone from 28 days to anything ranging from 25 days to 33 days. as you can imagine being 5 days late this week i was so excited so was heartbroken when i actually had a period.
i triend ovulation kits with no ovulation showing so i went to the docs and it came back that all is well with me so i know i can get pregnant.
I have cut out caffeine take folic acid, have put on a stone as was underweight and doing everything by the book…
Any other tips on how to know when I'm ovulating when my periods are so irregular lately would be a huge help.
hope to hear from some of you soon.. and share some advice and stories .
x

Hi,
i am new to forums but feel i need to talk to people who understand. everyone keeps telling me to stop stressing and relax but i am so desperate for a baby. i am happily married since july but we started trying in feb 2010 after our engagement. My husband longs to be a dad and gets so excited when we talk about it. i was having regular periods up until about 4 months ago when they have gone from 28 days to anything ranging from 25 days to 33 days. as you can imagine being 5 days late this week i was so excited so was heartbroken when i actually had a period.
i triend ovulation kits with no ovulation showing so i went to the docs and it came back that all is well with me so i know i can get pregnant.
I have cut out caffeine take folic acid, have put on a stone as was underweight and doing everything by the book…
Any other tips on how to know when I'm ovulating when my periods are so irregular lately would be a huge help.
hope to hear from some of you soon.. and share some advice and stories .
x

Firstly - welcome aboard!

So sorry to hear you have been TTC for so long.

There is a 'long term trying to concieve' LTTC part of the forum and everyone on there will understand exactly what you are going through.

Have you been to the Dr's again recently? Now you have passed your 12 month TTC timeline you can begin to push for investigation?

xxxxxx

Last edited:
It took us 3 years before we finally got a BFP on new years eve, i didn't think i would ever be able to have a baby as i had given up trying. Keep trying and i'm sure it will happen for you too, it can't hurt to ask the doctors to do a check aswell just to be sure.

as carnat says - have you began any fertility investigation with your gp or local clinic? if not i think 18 months is long enough to try before asking for help. you say your cycles are irregular - have you been tested for pcos?

Hi all thank you for all your comments.
Well my periods have only become irregular the past 4 months as before i was a regular 28 days. I had my blood test the month before my periods changed and he said i was ovulating normally. when i asked him if there was anything we would do he said as they came bk normal all i needed to do was kee[ trying and it would happy. tried clearblue ovulation sticks to no success... im worried as my periods are so irregular and not sure what else to do.
just watching one born every minute and feel so jealous. Congrats to all you lucky mummies to be x

Hi Greekgirl :) Few things - I am also wondering which opks you use? I have just started using the Clear Blue Fertility Monitor and it's got some good reviews. Might be worthwhile looking into for you - I bought mine second hand on ebay and am pleased with it so far (will have to see how it goes as it's only my first month of using it) Also, and I know itisbabytime will support me on this, have you tried keeping a record of your basal temperature and charting on a website like fertility friend? My cycles are a bit irregular too, so doing all these things has really helped me feel in control. Take a look at my chart and it shows when I ovulated with all the info I've put in

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3968e5

Anyway, hope this has helped a bit and good luck xx

Hi ceebee,
i did the clearblue ovulation sticks and because it didnt show i was ovulating i went for bloodtests as felt so dishearted. I have seen the monitor and think i will purchase one myself. I havent done the basal temperature as feel a bit over whelmed by it when i read as the temperature increase is so small. and on sites ive read you need to try the day before the temperature rise on others its the day the temperature has risen so feel bit confused. feel i have read so much i am now confused.

Hi ceebee,
i did the clearblue ovulation sticks and because it didnt show i was ovulating i went for bloodtests as felt so dishearted. I have seen the monitor and think i will purchase one myself. I havent done the basal temperature as feel a bit over whelmed by it when i read as the temperature increase is so small. and on sites ive read you need to try the day before the temperature rise on others its the day the temperature has risen so feel bit confused. feel i have read so much i am now confused.

Hi greekgirl

I know it's all quite overwhelming, but I recommend you read the fertility friend website and it will give you lots of info

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/courses/

I thought I would never be able to do temping as it seemed really daunting, but I'm really glad I do now as it's fine once you get into it. As long as you do it the moment you wake up and try to do it after 3 hours of unbroken sleep and roughly the same time each day you should be fine. Fertility Friend explains it. It really might be worth a try. You have to buy a special thermometr - I bought mine from Amazon. It's called 'babymad' and only cost about £5 - what have you got to lose? xx

hi thanks for that.. that will be my homework to read up on that site and i will order that thermometer now. thanks for your help and i hope we both get a baby in 2012... it is all so daunting.. i just want it so much its scary how this has taken over my life...

honestly - temping seems like a huge challenge and massively inconvenient but in reality its not. all you need is a themometer and to sign up to some charting software. take your time to read and research all the info thoroughly and it really is easy. bascially the 3 days after ovulation your temps will have a big rise (in comparison to the temperatures pre-ovulation) and then stay elevated till ovulation. look at this for example of completed charts. http://www.tcoyf.com/media/p/1504857.aspx

regarding when to have sex the jackpot days are generally he day off and the day before ovualtion but none of us are psychic so i would go for every other day during the fertile period (any days you have cervical mucus but especialy when you have egg white cervical mucus EWCM as it is the most fertile.)

Last edited:
this may sound stupid but how do you know about the mucus. well i have told the hubby it will be every other day during fertile period as i feel maybe we just dont get the timing right even though i do tend to count days and feel like we are in the army and i regiment it now and set the days instead of being spontanious which isnt what i wanted.. but hey ho.
yeah have begun looking at temp charts and will be following this up :)

hi there just been reading this thread, i no how u feel im in the same boat myself me and my fiancie been trying for 4 years now, went for my blood test yesterday so waitin for results back now, its so stressful i no but thats another thing that can also stop it is stress so me and my fiancie are taking it steady and taking each step as it comes :)

hope all goes well for u x

Hi greekgirl - fertility friend explains all about the mucus too. I felt much better about it all and less overwhelmed after I'd done lots of research. Read as much as you can, there's pictures on the internet of crevical mucus and both myself and itisbabytime have a book called 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' and we think it's great and it tells you so much about temping, mucus and lots of stuff... I know it can seem regimented to have to bd at certain times, but unfortunately that's the way it is. If you both want it so much, it should make things easier. Feel free to post any questions about things you're unsure of... good luck to you :) xx

Ladies realisation kicked in today... its been 23 months not 18... was Feb 2010.. I just got used to it being 18 months when i started to feel so low. Thanks all for the comments. Fertility friend is now bookmarked and I have ordered the book and monitor off Amazon so awaiting my goodies... Lets hope 2012 brings us all a bundle of joy

Fingers crossed for us all going through the trials and tribulations of TTC

:dust::dust::dust:

xxxxxxxxxx

Glad to hear you ordered that stuff greekgirl :) I'm sure you'll feel much better when you're doing everything you possibly can to increase your chances and get your bfp as soon as poss... fx for you xx

good for you, honestly you will learn SO much from this and I really hope it gets you your BFP. if you have any questions about charting - start a new thread with an obvious name or pm me or anyone else you see who charts - more than happy to help! x

can someone tell me which version of taking charge of fertility to get as when i go on amazon there are a few versions and different covers or doesnt it matter ... thanks xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back