MMR yes or no?????

What is wrong with getting the single vaccine? Why risk the MMR? My crohns is linked to the MMR & whilst its not proven I certainly wouldn't risk putting my child through it.....can you not opt for the single vaccines?x

I have ulcerative colitis so my lo has had the single vaccines (except mumps) and my dd will be having the same toe it was the best option and well worth the £170! X

Its worth bearing in mind that the single vaccines have comparitively little data behind them on safety and efficacy vs the MMR. As the MMR has been used for so long all over the world there is a lot of data about this on it. You can opt for single vaccines privately if you feel strongly about it (it is all a choice afterall), but i would be worried that i don't know enough about these vaccines compared to the MMR. Everything we do in life has a risk, but if your playing the numbers, then the risk of contracting these illness and having long term harm or even death is certainly much higher than any risk from the vaccine itself.

Multiple vaccines at once is thought to be a good thing as it gets the immune system riled up which produces a better long term immunity. This is the theory as to why its better to give the vaccine as mmr rather than singly.

Sorry but that is rubbish! Taking the autism link out of it there is no way putting a triple vaccine into a tiny child is safer/better than single absolutely no way!

There's lots of data about the MMR both good and bad. Iv yet to come across anything 'bad' about single vaccines.

I am very pro choice, what works for one parent is entirely up to them but ur statement is scare mongering in the same way those who try to put ppl off the MMR do.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2013/may/01/mmr-swansea

Anyone who is thinking of single vaccines should read the above, it has some excellent points.

Also, you could say a lot of things about the nhs but they wouldn't give anyone a vaccine that was dangerous let alone everyone.

Sorry there is nothing in that report other than the actions of the parent vaccinated singly not being appropriate! I researched the vaccines given to my son and he will be vaccinated on time. What a load of rubbish.

...ppl posting stupid links like that help no one. I'm sure u could find many an anti MMR to compare but I'm not going to add to the worry if parents already confused enough!
It's simple, do ur research and then take ur decision based on ur own opinions, not an article in the good old trusty press!

Sorry if I am missing the point here, but children don't have their MMR until they are aged 1?

I am all for planning in advance LOL but was surprised to see this in Tri 2?

You have plenty of time to read, research and make an educated decision!

xxxxxxx

I'm a learning disability nurse and also have a brother with Autism. It's personal opinion but a lifelong disability day in day out is a hard task for any parent to deal with. Even as a sister this was a difficult at times although it moulded me into the person I am today.

My nephew will be having the vaccinations a bit later than the usual time. I don't know the times exactly but as a family we believe my brother had some susceptibility to Autism and the vaccinations is given when speech is developing. He stopped talking soon after the vaccination linked or not we will never know.

It's a personal choice one that any parent will always have to consider. I don't think there's any right or wrong answer and one that I will have to make as an up and coming mummy.

Anyone who is thinking of single vaccines should read the above, it has some excellent points.

Also, you could say a lot of things about the nhs but they wouldn't give anyone a vaccine that was dangerous let alone everyone.

Sorry there is nothing in that report other than the actions of the parent vaccinated singly not being appropriate! I researched the vaccines given to my son and he will be vaccinated on time. What a load of rubbish.

...ppl posting stupid links like that help no one. I'm sure u could find many an anti MMR to compare but I'm not going to add to the worry if parents already confused enough!
It's simple, do ur research and then take ur decision based on ur own opinions, not an article in the good old trusty press!

If it wasn't for the good old trusty press this argument wouldn't be happening.

It's true you all have a long time to decide but iv see this debate many times on here and it's never helpful, best advice is like the last two posters, research and take ur decision x

Its still good to have a good debate!!!!!

In the end, everyone can make their own choice, like you say. We all can only do what we think is best as individuals.

The same press who publicised the link with autism u mean????

Its still good to have a good debate!!!!!

In the end, everyone can make their own choice, like you say. We all can only do what we think is best as individuals.

It's true, have a debate but everyone jumps to the defence of MMR which is fine, I understand why and I'm not anti MMR but then I feel the need to jump to the defence of those who want to vaccinate singly too...as iv done it myself x

Anyway, I'm all raging hormones tonight so I shall bow out here and have a shower! Each to their own tho! X

The same press who publicised the link with autism u mean????

Well if it wasn't so highly publicised the general public wouldn't know much about it, as you said people should do their research but you can't say that shouldn't involve press articles as that's where most people get their information.

Anyway my point wasn't about getting the MMR or getting single jabs, my point was getting them end of. Getting to 25 and being pregnant during a measles outbreak and finding out I wasn't fully vaccinated was highly distressing. Especially as I've been in contact with more than one person who has gone on to suffer with measles in the past few months.

So my point was, get vaccinated.

I just got my little one the MMR on Monday ( im living in Australia by the way ). There is a new government rule here now too, if your child is not immunised then they can't attend nursery or day care, which is fair enough. If a child is not immunised and my Ralph got sick because of it, i would be outraged!

My dad got measles in his eyes and his eye sight was ruined from a small child he has really thick glasses even paying for the ultra thin ones, he was lucky not to be blinded.

My best friends son had his mmr and it caused a reaction that put him in intensive care and to have smething that turned him back into a newborn from a toddler he couldnt hold his head or walk, but his mum has still given her next son the mmr because she said its so rare that it would happen even though it happened to her she still belives that it was worth the risk because he is alive, measles could have killed him.

So mine will always have it, after seeing both outcomes my dad is worse off, her son is now a perfecct 9 year old btw it did have a happy outcome!

Positivity, has your lo had them in single vaccines?

I know the NHS don't offer them so I searched to see who does them privately and on the Bupa website they mention the downside of single injections which were mainly all down to inconvenience with the exception of:

'Single vaccines aren't licensed in the UK and haven't passed UK safety and effectiveness testing.'

So can we still have them and if so where? I'd much rather do that then have the combined mmr.

Positivity, has your lo had them in single vaccines?

I know the NHS don't offer them so I searched to see who does them privately and on the Bupa website they mention the downside of single injections which were mainly all down to inconvenience with the exception of:

'Single vaccines aren't licensed in the UK and haven't passed UK safety and effectiveness testing.'

So can we still have them and if so where? I'd much rather do that then have the combined mmr.

Yes he's had single measles and will be having single rubella shortly. I went to a clinic in Harley street which uses the French imported vaccination (recommended) and he was fine, it went well. PM if u want to know anything Hun xx

Thanks for that Positivity! I've PM'd you for more info :)
Xxx

I just got my little one the MMR on Monday ( im living in Australia by the way ). There is a new government rule here now too, if your child is not immunised then they can't attend nursery or day care, which is fair enough. If a child is not immunised and my Ralph got sick because of it, i would be outraged!

This is what I dont understand. Be vaccinated or be a recluse, thays disgusting.
What does it matter if there are children in the same class that havent had the vaccines? If your child is "immune" then surely the only child at "risk" is the non-vaccinated child? Why should you care?

My OH is dead against the vaccinations for his own reasons.
I too had my mmr injections and got mumps and rubella. I had rubella twice!! (I was a teenager and it was great! I was perfectly well but got to stay at home due to risks of crossing path with pregnant women).

I will put my case forward for the measles jab but my OH has put in hours and hours of research so of the two of us, his is the more informed decision.

Lots of you may call me "stupid" for letting him make this decision but Its a waste of time because I dont bend to judgment. Im not going to critisise anyone for making a different choice. But consider how much you have truly researched the subject before you make your mind up that im wrong and youre right.

Make your choice and stand by your guns ladies :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back