MMR yes or no?????

This is what I dont understand. Be vaccinated or be a recluse, thays disgusting.
What does it matter if there are children in the same class that havent had the vaccines? If your child is "immune" then surely the only child at "risk" is the non-vaccinated child? Why should you care?

I'm not really getting involved in this debate, but just wanted to point out why it does matter:

Not every child is well enough to be vaccinated, or for whatever reason their vaccinations haven't worked. By vaccinating your child, you help to protect these children. If a parent has chosen to vaccinate, put their child into a situation where others haven't, and it gets very ill as a result (because their own vaccine didn't protect them), then it's unfair. The same as you'd have to exclude children that were too sick to have the vaccine, from these kind of things because of other people's choices.

At the end of the day, one persons decision not to vaccinate doesn't really matter. But if there is a large number of people making the same decision, it will have an impact.

I'll vaccinate, and to be honest I probably won't do that much research into it either. As poor of an attitude as this is, I figure the negatives of vaccinating would have been highlighted with the measles outbreak in Swansea, and they wouldn't have pushed so hard to get everyone to get vaccinated if there were known, major risks!!

I see Tigger, that makes sense. (Like I said its OHs research not mine!)

However, like the flouride in our water, aspartame in our drinks and food, and gmos, The government and powers that be arent very quick to tell you the risks of everyday encounters with thier approved products.
My OH wrote to his gp and ask that they would provide a disclaimer stating that there would be no long term effects to his child ad a result of the mmr. He also sent the same letter to our council and medical boards. Each response was an effective NO. If the people enforcing it cant guarantee its safety, that speaks volumes.

He also did a lot of research in favour of the mmr and obviously there's a lot of positives. They may even outweigh the negatives (of whoch ive still not thoroughly discussed with him btw) but he says its enough to make a question of it.

He will continue to research as hes a bit of a geek with this stuff. Im talking medical archives, studies papers by medical professionals and informed researchers, not crackpot newspapers, google and internet forums.
Closer to the time ill take a closer look into what hes found.

i could never run the risk my child would die and its more likely without the jab than the risk of them dying from it, wether single doses or all together im all for them and its scary to think that other ppl run that risk with their child life but i understand its their choice

However, like the flouride in our water, aspartame in our drinks and food, and gmos, The government and powers that be arent very quick to tell you the risks of everyday encounters with thier approved products.
My OH wrote to his gp and ask that they would provide a disclaimer stating that there would be no long term effects to his child ad a result of the mmr. He also sent the same letter to our council and medical boards. Each response was an effective NO. If the people enforcing it cant guarantee its safety, that speaks volumes.

I've been reading this thread with interest but also haven't really wanted to get involved in the debate. However what you're saying here could be applied to just about any vaccine or drug. No respectable doctor would sign a disclaimer to say that any drug or vaccine they administer will not have any long term effects on the recipient because the truth is you just cannot be 100% sure. There will always be the odd person who may have a reaction to an otherwise very 'safe' drug and every now and then you will get a drug or vaccine that does in fact cause long term effects that arent found out about until its too late. What a doctor can tell you though is the risk of NOT having the treatment, in the case of the MMR (or the single vaccines) this risk is that your child could contract measles, mumps or rubella. This is a real risk and not just a rumoured or anecdotal side effect.

My son had the MMR and my daughter will too. Yes I realise there is a tiny possibility they may suffer some effects as a result but I fail to see how this is different to any other vaccine or medication they may have in their life, everything carries a small risk of side effects. I also think that we have to at least to some extent put our trust in the nhs that they do in fact have the nation's best interests at heart and that they wouldn't knowingly administer a dangerous vaccine to millions of children. They will have done their own research too.

Xxx

Echo Amandaz totally! And likewise to ANY medication you can buy over the counter and on prescription - they all come with massive long lists of possible side effects. Would you not take these drugs on the off chance you may have a reaction? No one would EVER sign a disclaimer like that - it does not mean these vaccines are dangerous.

I will repeat my opinion on every single one of these threads - we are SO priviliged and lucky to have access to vaccines, and not to have to worry about diseases that used to routinely kill children (look into the percentage of children expected to live to adulthood in years gone by and you will see what I mean).

We are very lucky that by and large most dangerous infectious diseases have been eradicated in our country, and the reason for that? Vaccination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back