Bad Midwife? Or am i jumping the gun?

hit3mup

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first posting so please forgive if this ground has already been covered...

I am slightly concerned about the Midwife which is dealing with my Wife and I. My wife is in her second trimester and we have recently completed a fetal heartbeat monitor. When we got to our doctors surgeory I have the general feeling we were rushed in and rushed out as there were a family who saw the midwife at the timeslot which we had been booked in for, when we did get to see the midwife after waiting 10-15 minutes or so the same family was waiting to see the midwife after our heartbeat monitor was done. The actual heartbeat was found pretty instantly which we were pleased about....we got to listen to it for no longer than 10 seconds and were just about able to ask a few questions which we had but we felt as if we were overstaying our welcome as the midwife seemed to be in a hurry, in total the actual appointment probably lasted around 10 minutes max.

At the heartbeat monitor the midwife asked if my wife had bought a urine sample (which she hadnt), the midwife said this wasnt a problem and that we could deliver the sample the next time we were to see her (in 6 weeks time). Since the monitor, we have tried several times to contact the midwife with regards to arranging an ultrasound, all we got from the birthcentre which she is based at is that 'she's off today'...great apparently we cant talk to anyone else. When the midwife did finally call back (2 days ago) she was extremely abrupt and just said that the hospital would be in touch tomorrow (actually yesterday)....no call from hospital.

My wife called the birthing centre at which the midwife is based and she mentioned that she still hadnt submitted her urine sample and that she was told this was 'not a problem'....this came as a shock to the people at the birthcentre.

As it turns out the midwife is off next week as of today and the Hospital which is supposed to be giving us a 17 week ultrasound ( its week 15 now) has not even heard of us/has no record of us...when the midwife returns from her holiday...she is working for three days then goes to have surgory and is off work for another 6 weeks in which time we were told we will get a temporary midwife. I am thrilled at the thought of being a dad and would like for this time to be a happy one for us both but the way in which our pregnancy is being dealt with can be quite worrying.....im getting to the stage where i want to change the midwife. On the other hand perhaps this is just how it is and i shouldnt expect any special treatment. Any replies/views good or bad would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mark.

It sound's pretty similar to my experience of midwifes, sorry. We don't have many appintments if everything is going well and the appointments at the antenatel clinic ae only allocated 5 min slots. This is were they check the baby's heart beat, mothers blood pressure and urine. I had my first appointment last week at 21 weeks and don't see them again until 28 weeks. I had a scan at 20 weeks and one other appointment at 16 weeks and that is it.

I guess you just have to re-assure yourselfs that all should go to plan and mother nature usually gets it right. I know some couples buy there own fetal heart monitors so they can check it themselves but you are right the midwife just listens in for a few seconds. In a month or two your wife will atleast have the re-assurance of the baby moving.

Good luck with sorting out the scan, it does seems like they are messing you about with that.

Best wishes to you and your family

I have to say that my midwife has been absolutely brilliant.

The appointments were every 4 weeks, then every 2 but when I wasn't feeling good one week she came to my house to see me to make sure everything was ok.

There have been a couple of times I've forgotten to take a urine sample and in these cases she's asked if I could do one there and then which I haven't had any problems doing.

I would say my appointments haven't lasted any longer than 15 mins but I've never felt rushed and she's been open to me asking all the questions that I'm sure she must get asked all the time.

If you are not happy with your midwife (which I wouldn't be) then I would complain and make sure you get someone who makes you feel like your baby is the most important thing in the world. Which is how mine makes me feel.

My longest appointment was my first where I had a lot of bloodwork, a pap, and they took my family history. As well as all of the routine things like urine sample, weight, blood pressure, etc. Since then, I've been going every 4 weeks and soon I'll be going every 2 weeks. My appointments are usually no longer than 15min.

Thanks for your reply all, I think we are going to talk to our gp on monday about it to try to arrange another midwife. Good luck to all of you + best wishes for the future.

Mark.

I would change my midwife if I were you.

Why did she not inform the hopsital of you? It sounds like if she can't remember to do the basics no how will she remember to do important stuff later?

Get a midwife you are happy with so you can enjoy this time, not get stressed out.

Mark,

Hi, I hope Im not too late in responding.

Ive had two babies in UK and now I am having third in US.

From what you have stated on your message I would strongly advise you to change your midwife. There should be no problem in doing this.

Its important that the urine sample is checked regularly for ketones or infections.

Also you need to feel comfortable with the choice of midwife, especially as the whole pregnancy/birth process can be daunting. Apart from checking the health of the mother and baby the midwife should make you feel at ease and re-assured. This is a very special time for you and your wife and you simply don't need such attitude from a health professional.

i agree definatly change her. i have 4 midwifes moblie numbers, the delivery suite number ( who i can call 24/7 for any question i have and will be answered at that time by a midwife) and even though the antenatel clinic is a booking session im never rushed out the door but if she is in a rush she offers to come to my home to answer any other questions. ur midwife should be your best friend throughout your pregnancy. good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back