Delaying the MMR

Melanie

Reaction score
Im after a bit of advice.
Over here its sort of frowned upon to delay any injections for your children. They basically make you feel like you are putting them in mortal danger by holding off on any routine vaccination. They made me feel like i knew nothing at all when she was born so she had her BCG injection at 1 day old (the one we get at 12 years old in the UK!) Looking back now i really dont think it was a necessary vaccination at her age.
Thea is due her MMR at the end of this month but I am flying back to the UK with her on the 1st of Dec and dont want to give her the MMR just before then incase she has a reaction to it ( i know its made some children upset and disrupted them for a time after having it). Id rather wait until after the new year for her to have it. Infact id be happier to wait a while longer than that to be honest. She will have it but some of the research i've done has made me feel id be more comfortable with her having it nearer to the age of two and then have the booster just before she starts school rather than having them at 13 months and 3 years.

Am I being silly or do you think its valid for me to follow my instincts and hold off on the vaccination?

Hannah didnt have hers until 2 weeks after her 2nd birthday hun because i couldnt decide if i wanted her to have it so do what you want to do not what your pressured into

Ive just been reading up on it because I couldnt decide whether to get Kate separate injections or not. I think that it said that it should be given between 12 and 15 months so January wouldnt really be giving her it late anyhow would it then? If it was me I would hold off if I was worried about the travelling and after effects. :D

Keeley hasn't had the mmr by the nhs i've had her done separtly(sp) at the mo she has only had the mealses jab her next jab is in jan then the last one 6 weeks later...

I know people who have waited until there kids are two even three before giving them the mmr.. at the end of the day Thea is your child.. only you can make decisons for her.

If you don't feel comfortable her having it yet then don't let her :)
:hug:

Out of all the jabs Keeley has had the MMR scared me the most thats why i'm glad i am havin them done privately

Melanie said:
when she was born so she had her BCG injection at 1 day old (the one we get at 12 years old in the UK!)

Not anymore. They don't do it in schools anymore, now babies get it when they are born, but only in area where TB is more common.

And I think you should follow your instinct re the MMR.

Stanley had his a few weeks and go and was very off-colour for a good 5 days around 10-15 days post-injection.

The whole should/shouldn't you is such a big issue that I hate getting into apart from to say I support the immunisation programme fully.

However I would think twice again if I knew we were planning something within that subsequent fortnight and it's always best to be marooned on the sofa when baby is ill! :D

Where I am you get the booster before school for the MMR... Arianna had her and was fine, and then she doesnt have another jab until she is 4 1/2yrs

I'd definetely follow your instsincts and just wait for Thea to get the MMR to be honest Mel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back