no arguemnts! MMR

lisa&alex

Reaction score
i dont want to hijack mids thread because she said no debate..

but i think if people want to make informed choices about giving their baby the MMR jab then there should be no hush hush no taboo.. everyone should be alowed to give their reasons. i seriously mean no arguing. if there is something you dont agree with then thats fine i think we as parents should be able to know reasons other parents choose to or not to give it. as these decisions can effect everyone not just our own families. personally ive not met anyone who hasnt vaccinated their baby.. and i dont know anyones reasons not to. i have reserched and spoken to several gps about it.

charlotte has had it and edward will be getting it.

*reason*

all the evidence/research i have done has led me to believe the vaccine is safer than catching any of the diseases.

I have no idea what I'll do. I'm swinging towards for because of the risks of the diseases. The main reason against is not to do with the well-known research it's because of the reaction I had when I was younger when I had the measles vaccination (pre-MMR) - I swelled up, went into anaphylactic shock and ended up in hospital. I remember there being a measles scare when I was at high school and everyone was given a booster apart from me. So I'll need to get my GP to have a dig in my records and then make an informed decision based on that.

midna said:
My little bro had it ..soon after convulsed lost consciousness nearly died ..and that didnt just happen the once ..it has effected him negatively since .. he just isnt quite all there sometimes and hes 19 now. I remember it so well and it was hugely traumatic to watch him go blue fitting and being incontinent when he was outta the nappys. It first happened at 13 months after the jabs then he had his last one at nearly 4 :(

aw how awful for you hon :( :( :hug: :hug: :hug: i can understand your reservations.

i'm going to get connor's done. the weight of the research that i've done is IMO favourable to the jab. thiomersal was my main concern, but i understand that this isn't used in today's innoculations - i think they started phasing it out in 2004 :think:

I'm considering delaying it, but I'm pretty sure he will have it. I don't have any concrete reasons as such because there is evidence either way depending on where you look and there's no way of knowing what is valid, but I'm going to go with my instinct on this one.

My stepdad and his 3 brothers didn't have any vaccinations (after his eldest brother died after an injection, although it was never proved to be linked) and all of them are so healthy and hardly ever ill. I don't know, it's a tough one.

Corey will be getting it. I figure that the vacine will be better than catching anything. BUT there is the possible side effects... gotta figure the chances of that are quite slim... *crosses fingers*

Hannah didnt have hers until she was 2 1/2 because i though her body was bigger and she would cope better and i am so glad i did she never cried when she had it and had no side affect what so ever

neither of my nephews have had it and thomas wont be either,
my reason for it is that 1 of my cousins had it and i dont no the full story but i no he nearly died threw a reaction after having it so im not going to risk it,
xx

Manda&Thomas said:
neither of my nephews have had it and thomas wont be either,
my reason for it is that 1 of my cousins had it and i dont no the full story but i no he nearly died threw a reaction after having it so im not going to risk it,
xx

You get reactions with all jabs which sadly results in several infant deaths a year including the basic ones such as Hib, and dip. The Flu vaccine can cause lots of reactions and death because its egged based.

If I was living in England... with the fact that there is such a poor uptake with the MMR and the fact that the country is on the verge of a measles epidemic.. then I think the possible death risks from measles out weigh the possible death risks that come from a reaction.

But the reactions do happen and if I didn't have it done and lil miss got Measles and died, I'd forever feel guilty.. if I did and she had a reaction I'd feel the same.

there are decisions we have to take as parents which can put our kids at risk... but we do so based on our best possible knowledge.

Lil miss will be having it done as there is a big ex pat community here, and I can't risk lil miss being around kids who might or might not have had the vaccine and might expose her to measles... saying that lil miss can't actually go to school here unless she has had the measles vaccine... You need a doctors certificate to apply for a place and they won't sign it if all the jabs aren't up to date.

wen i had it i had a convulsion for 40 minutes, so i was very weary of giving it to braydon
but i decided to as to me if he got one of the diseases i would never forgive myself and im glad i did he never had a reaction :D

out of my four, three of them have had it there's only leela left. the others didn't have it until 18 months old as i felt they were old/big enough to cope with it. leela will have hers too at 18 months. what i find frightening is that there has been an outbreak of measles here in wales and i dont want any of mine to get it

Arianna has had it and I will give it to any future kids...

I would never in a million years not give them a vacination against something so dangerous.

thats what frightens me to kelsey. there have been several outbreaks at schools near us over the past few years 5 kids had it last year in my daughters school alone.. none of them in ehr class thank god. but now with her moving up to the big school it scares me.. i even asked the hv to check that she had had her pre-school booster. which she had.. sounds like a few people know people who have had reactions to jabs, now i see why they say to sit in the waiting room for 15 mins.

I really dont know what to do...

On mids thread I voted that we will have it but now i'm so unsure

My cousins little boy went private and paid for the 3 seperate injections, it cost over £300 and they had to travel about an hour to the nearest clinic that offers it. I *think* thats what we'll do. The injections were about a month apart.

Lily will be having it after watching the news the last few weeks about measles going mad I dont see how I can not give her the immunisation against such a nasty disease. I think when they said becuase its viral its not the same for any child which means treatments are different and if left untreated "can" be fatal it kinda scared me :?

Daniel will definately be having it. To be honest I do block out the ifs and buts as I would end up worrying myself silly. I personally feel that by him having the jab I am making the choice to protect him :)

I had Mason's separately but Brody has had combined. At the time of Mason's was when it was all headline news and I am a big enough worrier anyway, so we paid it for the peace of mind. It cost a fortune.
Now I'm happier that the research has been done and it's been ruled out.

I'm more or less ure that Willow will have it.

The reason for this is a boy my mum used to nurse: he got measles when he was 4 and they cause him to become braindead.

I'd rather an autistic child than a braindead one.

Phoebe will be having the jab. I can't risk her catching any of them. I know there is a risk of reaction, but there is a risk of reaction to so many things. E.g. Peanuts, but she's gotta have them at some point, right? Thats the way I view it anyway.

Lisa I didn't know they recommend you wait in the surgery for 15 mins after. Is that for every jab or just MMR? I guess I'm lucky as our Drs is just outside my front door. They are also good at seeing you if you are worried about anything.

Isla has just had hers after a huge agruement with my hubby, i am anti jabs and he is pro jabs. We waited utnil now due to the autism link and so that she is older and stronger. I have to say she didnt cry when it was done or have any ill effects. I will do the same with Morgan and he will have his at 2 and a half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back