MMR yes or no?????

LeaAnn

Reaction score
OH has been doing research on the abo e, and has found some horror stories on line. It never crossed my mind, we wouldn't have this for our little one, so currently we are at loggerheads. The debates are heated to say the least!

It's feels like one of those damned if you do, or damned if you don't! Boils down to wanting the best for our child, and scared of making the wrong choice.

Any opinions, knowledge, experience greatly appreciated.

X

if you go online you could find a horror story about ANYTHING! do research but use reputable sources.

Getting measles is particularly nasty and you also put all the children your child meets at risk if you don't vaccinate. The link with autism was found to be bogus, the risks with mumps, measles and rubella are all proven.

Obviously it is up to you to decide for your child, but do not let your OH base his decision on some crackpot website...google is a dangerous thing!

That's exactly how I feel and it never crossed my mind we wouldn't do this. He has one friend who son has ADHD, and she is attributing it to that. My point is he could have had that anyway as no link was proven!
I am taking him to my 25 week docs app, hopefully our doc will convince him...

To me it's simple ...to vaccinate my child the risk really is not worth them not having the vaccine x

Living in Swansea where we have had over 1300 cases of measles including deaths it is a no brainer.

I know a woman who vaccinated her eldest son who then became autistic. She blamed the vaccine and refused to vaccinate her second son. The second son has more severe autism than the first!

I would always chose to vaccinate as to me not doing it puts them more at risk, and the side effects could happen anyway!

im all for it, google is stupid when it comes to this kinda thing, ppl can write anything they want and its generally not true. id rather protect my child, my friends children and any child my DD comes into contact with by getting her vaccinated. the recent measels uprising is pretty much due to ppl not getting their child vaccinated years ago and i feel really bad that a simple needle could have saved so many lives and so much pain for those familes affected that i feel its my responsibility to all other ppl to get my child vaccinated to protect us all

I would choose the single vaccines I think, not the MMR - I have Crohn's disease & this is linked to the MMR, I won't risk exposing my child to it but will definitely vaccinate x

^ valid point, im all for vacs whatever way you have to get them done

I have had all three illnesses despite having the jabs as a baby. Measles and mumps when I was under 2 and rubella at the tender age of 24!!
For me measles and mumps weren't that bad according to my mum. When I had Rubella it was less intrusive than the common cold.
Chicken pox got me admitted to hospital though when I was 4 as it spread to my lungs.

BUT

I would still vaccinate, not just so my child doesn't get the illnesses as its a risk I'm not willing to take. I also think its bad if I don't - what about poor sick children who are undergoing treatments and therefore can't be vaccinated? If my contaminated child came into contact with that sick child and they caught the disease the consequences would be horrible!

MMR is has been used around the world for many years with a fantastic safety record. The story that came out a few years ago about autism has been so discredited that the dr who published it has subsequently been struck off by the GMC and can no longer practice. The research was sloppy and flawed and caused a mass panic when we were on the verge of eradicating measles in the same way as we managed to with small pox.

People in third world countries would be utterly flabbergasted by the strange attitude that vaccines are "bad" that is still held by a small minority.

I've seen children with measles and mumps, and they are awful illnesses with terrible risks of long term damage and even death.

My child will def get the mmr.

Mumps can be nasty for boys/men and cause infertility and rubella is dangerous for pregnant women, so even if your child is okay, them being ill could put others at risk. Obviously vaccines are never foolproof and don't always work.

I had measles as a child, and mumps. There wasn't mmr then though and I couldn't have measles vaccine as I was allergic to eggs!
Xx

Yes yes yes to it. The studies showing any link are flawed and shaky at very best. We are SO privileged in this country to have access to vaccination, when other children are dying all over the world because they don't have the luxury!

This is a very sore subject for me at the moment. Also living in the Swansea area of South Wales, finding out I wasn't given the second lot of MMR vaccine and am not immune was highly distressing at 10 weeks pregnant. I was livid to find out most of the people my age weren't given them either, and the nhs is wondering why it's spreading like wildfire in this area!

I'm sure thousands of people are saying the parents are to blame for not getting the top up jab, my mother, my MIL and best friend's mother to mention a few were all adamant that we were covered. It was supposed to happen in school at 6 years old and it seems hundreds of us were missed out. I urged everyone I knew to check with their doctors surgery that they were covered and one after the other were no, no, no! All either in my school year, the year above or the year below. The number of mid 20's with measles in this area is ridiculous and then passing it on to small children is highly dangerous.

I was sent a leaflet from my doctors surgery explaining the risks while pregnant, if you contract measles or rubella before 20 weeks you will need to meet with your midwife to discuss whether or not to carry on with your pregnancy. My mother had measles when she was a child and it severely affected her sight and had to have an operation, my grandmother was pregnant at the time and was offered an abortion (quite unheard of 40+ years ago). Measles and rubella are serious illnesses and should not be taken lightly.

The original founder of this MMR-autism thing has now retracted every thing, that's speaks volumes to me.

At the end of the day measles can kill - even if you think there may be the slightest about of truth in what effects the jab can have - and autistic/hyperactive/whatever child is FAR better than a DEAD child!

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

What is wrong with getting the single vaccine? Why risk the MMR? My crohns is linked to the MMR & whilst its not proven I certainly wouldn't risk putting my child through it.....can you not opt for the single vaccines?x

Rachel if I can ill be opting for the single vaccines too.x

Think you can only get measles and rubella, they have stopped manufacturing the mumps vaccines singularly.

Its worth bearing in mind that the single vaccines have comparitively little data behind them on safety and efficacy vs the MMR. As the MMR has been used for so long all over the world there is a lot of data about this on it. You can opt for single vaccines privately if you feel strongly about it (it is all a choice afterall), but i would be worried that i don't know enough about these vaccines compared to the MMR. Everything we do in life has a risk, but if your playing the numbers, then the risk of contracting these illness and having long term harm or even death is certainly much higher than any risk from the vaccine itself.

Multiple vaccines at once is thought to be a good thing as it gets the immune system riled up which produces a better long term immunity. This is the theory as to why its better to give the vaccine as mmr rather than singly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back