smoker / ex-smokers...?

bobby1

Reaction score
me and OH are both ex-smokers, i gave up when i found out. OH has since stopped entirely, done the cutting down method to put it lightly :lol:

my question really is, all our stuff is saturated with smoke :roll: soooo we just moved house and returned from travels, so now i need to know what we should do with our stuff... :?

how do we make it safe for bubs when he arrives?? :think: :think: :think:

my stepdad is also smoking in the house we are currently in, :doh: :shakehead: not happy bout it but its his lifestyle choice. if it is confined to his room and communal areas are not smoked in, how can i make those communal areas safe???

any advice would be so greatly appreciated

cheers ladies!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

my answer may not be accurate as iv never really been a smoker, but as far as i'm aware old smoke that clings to clothes/furniture etc can increase the risk of SIDS. if i were u i would just buy brand new things for the nursery (u probably have anyway!) and if LO is staying in ur bedroom at first then i'd buy a new matress, new pillows, and hav the carpet professionally cleaned. i wouldnt hav thought the rest of the house matters so much. make sure u keep a fan in the room/window open and give LO a dummy, these all reduce the SIDS risk.

big up yourself for quitting smoking! i believe its very addictive and hard to quit, not a lot of people can manage it, u should be proud! :clap:

try to air out or wash as much of your stuff as you can, but having windows etc open with help to air things, as far as you FIL goes could you aks him to smoke outside, is it his house or yours? If it is your house then im afraid to say your baby is priority and he will have to do as you say not what he wants but im sure he will understand as it is his grandchild at risk here.

IIRC medical advise people who smoke should not hold a young baby if they have smoked a cig in the last half or hour (check out the time limit as not 100% sure its 30 mins, might be longer) because of the health risks. If someone is a heavy smoker then I don't let them hold my son at all. Because they are smoking more than 1 an hour I am not going to let him that close to them.

In a house where someone smokes there is an increased risk of SIDS according to studies. I am sure your MW can give you all the info on this.

TBH if its your house I'd be asking your stepfather to start smoking outside about a month before baby is born. And until then to only smoke in one room.

And congrats on giving up :) Well done both of you.

Well done for giving up hun, I know how hard it is :clap: :cheer:

Like all the girls have already said, smoking is a big risk factor in cotdeath.
Unless your fil's room is completely airtight, which is impossible, smoke (and all its chemicals) will travel around the rest of the house. It may be his lifestyle choice but by smoking in the house he's inflicting that choice on you and your baby. Could you try talking to him and explain how serious it is?

Could he not smoke outside, preferably in a jacket that doesn't come back into the house?
When you smoke outside you still bring all the chemicals back in with you.

OH and I used to smoke. I quit instantly, OH took a little longer. However a smoking ban was placed immediately on my house. When people who smoke come to visit they must leave their coats in my outhouse, wash their hands and face and wait before they go anyway near my son!

If I was you I would clean like mad! Wash all bedding, materials, sofa covers. Anything that is washable, wash. Scrub every surface as best you can.
I will be honest though, you might be fighting a losing battle if your fil continues to smoke in his room as the smoke will keep travelling through the house.

Good luck Hun :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back