Ladies doing their first cycle of IUI or IVF.

MissJuly10

Reaction score
Come and chat here! :D

I know there's already an ivf thread but I find it all so daunting and I get lost in the lingo so thought it might be good for any first timers like myself to chat in one place and learn together.

What I thought might be a good idea is to explain our appointments so far and what's next and then just continue chatting as normal as prior to my first appointment with the ivf clinic, I was researching and Googling etc just to find out what happens and when. Although I know clinics vary but if we all add something then we can obviously see any differences. Hopefully others might find it useful too.

So here goes.

Me: polycystic ovaries (I do not have pcos) DH: all fine
Since referral to ivf clinic, have had to lose weight as my pct guidelines state that women must have a BMI under 30 and mine was 31/32, it's now 29/28.

Since referral, we have had to repeat a few tests that have gone out of date, I think they like results to be no older than 6 months so we had to repeat bloods and a scan on my pelvis. Have already had a HyCosy.

Had some forms to fill out before going to the ivf clinic, which included consent forms for research purposes, history and info about myself and DH.

Had 3 appointments at the ivf clinic, all following each other so one per week. First appt was with the clinic's counsellor who took us through some main points about treatment, how to manage stress, communication etc. This appointment is currently being trialled to see if first timers find it useful before starting treatment, which we did but dependent on results from patients, they may or may not keep it if that makes sense.

Second appointment was for DH to do a semen sample. They request this so they can treat the sample as they would do for ivf or iui to check alls ok.

Third appointment was when we met the consultant. After all the build up and excitement, this was actually quite brief and not as major as I'd thought it would be. We just went over the tests results, she explained our options, asked which way we would like to go, explained very briefly what a cycle might look like for me with cysts on my ovaries etc as I would be doing stimulated iui with injections. My consultant gave me the paperwork which explains what happens on what days through the cycle and we then booked our chat and plan. This appointment is the one we have been waiting for, where we find out start dates, scan dates, learn to do injections.... And I'm so excited! I honestly cannot wait. :)

Anyways.... Think that covers everything so far.

Hope to chat with others in similar positions. :)

P.s. forgot to mention, the time between being referred and getting the appointments and paperwork through was less than 6 weeks I think. And when I got my letter with appointments, my first appointment was quite soon after (can't remember exactly how soon) so it all snowballed quickly.

Great idea miss J.

Me- all ok
Hubby-all ok
Unexplained.
Ttc-3 years

We had our 1st consultant appt last fri. Before this we had all the consent/research forms we had to fill in and take with us. We didn't see the actual consultant, it was one of his dr's. We just went through all the forms and he explained the process of an ivf cycle. Our next appt is on 16th sept when like miss j we will see a nurse and be show injections/medication. I have to wait for af and I have to phone for a base line scan on cd 1-4 which wont be pleasant.

I dont know about everyone else but it still doesn't feel real atm, dont think it will untill we start. Xx

Last edited:
It feels almost normal, like I've been expecting it so its just the next bit of the journey and I wish the next two weeks would fly by!

There was also some people unsure about being weighed, including me. It bothered me so much purely because I've had to lose weight to get this far and I just wanted to be prepared either way. As it happens, I've not been weighed at all at the new clinic. They asked on our forms for our height and weight details and haven't asked since. That's such a relief for me cos I've been working hard to toe the line with my weight!

I haven't been weighwd either. What are u doing with regards to work as im really eorrying about it?

I can't work but DH works and due to his job he wont be able to come to some of the scan appointments so I'll be going with a close friend. Have you spoken to anyone at work about it? Once you've had your chat and plan, you'll have dates etc so maybe let your boss know? Will they be flexible about it do you think?

No haven't spoken to anyone. I would like to think theyd be supportive but I dont know. A girl in my office is due to come back from materity leave but they won't give her part time its full time or nothing, they arent suppoting her so im a bit worried.

Last edited:
I see. All I can suggest is talking to your boss and explaining you might need to do (if possible) later shifts or have certain days off due to medical reasons. Perhaps even give them a copy of your scan dates or something? Just the dates mind, unless you feel comfortable showing them more info, I guess it's up to you how much you tell your boss but the scans are apparently every other day depending on response to the medication so I really don't know how much time you'll need off really as it sounds like its down to our bodies to tell us that. Sorry I can't be of more help, I wish I could be more helpful. :(

Im not too worried about the scans because they can be done early morning so hopefully won't need time off. The only time I am thinking of taking is egg retrieval and maybe a day or so after depending on how I am and the egg transfer.

Do you feel comfortable explaining why you'd need those days off? I can understand why you would, I think if it were me I'd feel the same way.

I dont feel comfortable telling work and would feel like they are thinking "oh god not another one going to be pregnant" and then it may not even work. If I say that its gynecological, then they'd know when I have to tell them if and when I fall pregnant. I dont know what to do for the best, think ill see how I feel after 16th appt as will know more then.

Last edited:
Yeah, maybe that's best, at least then you will have your dates set and hopefully you'll be off work anyway, least that's what I'd be hoping lol.

My af has shown up today, bit annoyed, was hoping it would wait til my chat and plan cos I'm so irregular but given that this cycle has been about 8-9 weeks long I'm wondering if I'll be given anything to induce af so we can start. Really hope so!

Can u not phone clinic and say af has arrived earlier than expected. They may get u in earlier or may want u to have a baseline scan. Worth asking?

Last edited:
Mm I did wonder that too. Will get on it ASAP.

How are you doing?

Yeah im ok. Feel a bit in limbo just waiting dont u? Wish the time to start would hurry up. Will probably have more waiting after next appointment too. Im so impatient haha. How r u?

Yeah I'm the same, the waiting is killing me. Two weeks to go so trying to keep my weight in check as they're quite strict on bmi. I'm looking forward to this weekend though as I've got family staying so it'll keep me occupied for a while!

Hey Miss J,

Just wanted to wish you lots of luck.:)

xx

Just wanted to wish you both lots of luck with your first cycles

Thanks Tinkerbell. :)

Think I am cd4...or 3... Just want af to get lost now, had enough of the cowbag. I've gained 3 pounds so need to lose it plus an extra 2 really before chat and plan so need to lose 5lb before my chat and plan on the 17th.... Can I do it, is the question?

Thanks tinkerbell. Im just wishing 16th to hurry up!

Miss j you can do it, 5lbs isnt a lot really and is doable. I want to loose a few lb's so we can envourage each other and share lunch/meal ideas as I struggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back