FET or fresh IVF cycle?

xxsammyxx

Reaction score
Hi,

We had IVF last year which was successful but unfortunately lost her at 24 weeks due to Hydrocephalus (fluid on the brain)

We had two frozen embryos from the first round of IVF which I think must be to blast stage since at day 3 they said they would check them the next day or the day after to see how they were doing since they were a bit slower than then rest of the embryos (that we had put back in). They said they would only freeze them if they were excellent and were lucky enough to receive a letter 2 weeks later to say two had been frozen so I guess they are really good. We have an appointment on 8th Feb to go back to the clinic and talk about having these thawed and put back in (FET) (depending if they thaw ok of course)

I gave birth on 10th Jan and i'm still waiting for my period which if on time I guess will be due around 6th Feb?

Can i ask a few questions?

Is it possible to have your first period after birth 28 days after?

When would they put the frosties back in... around ovulation time?

What medication do you have to take and for how long before FET?

What meds do you have to take after FET, progesterone?
Do you have to have had a period before they can do FET?

Would you do a fresh IVF cycle or try the FET?

If FET doesnt work, how long after can you start a fresh IVF cycle?

I would very much appreciate ANY help and advice... I know plenty about IVF but little about FET having never been through it!

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

i have no idea hun but didnt wanna read and run..

hope you find the answers your looking for.

hope you dont mind me asking tho, would you mind if i PM'd you later asking for some info? i have an appointment at the infertility clinic on fri (5th feb) as my OH has low count, hoping to find out our options then, but when it comes to IVF i have no clue....

xxx

i have no idea hun but didnt wanna read and run..

hope you find the answers your looking for.

hope you dont mind me asking tho, would you mind if i PM'd you later asking for some info? i have an appointment at the infertility clinic on fri (5th feb) as my OH has low count, hoping to find out our options then, but when it comes to IVF i have no clue....

xxx

Of course hun... my email address is [email protected] if you want to email me direct. We went through two clinics and IVF and I am sure I can help you with everything you need to know. OH has low sperm count as well which is why we had to go through IVF.... I can tell you an awful lot about all different types of things that we could, should or might have had to go through with regards to IVF/ICSI.... just email/pm me with any questions xx

thank you so much, i really appreciate it.

just out or curiosity, what was your OH's count results??

sorry i cant be of much help to you regarding FET xx

Hi Sammy I don't have anything to add as Im clueless about this sort of thing, just wanted to say how nice it is to see you back :hug:

thank you so much, i really appreciate it.

just out or curiosity, what was your OH's count results??

sorry i cant be of much help to you regarding FET xx

We had the first test in Spain and it was 5 million (very low) They consider normal is 20 mil plus. The second test was worse in Holland and was 4 million but its not just about the amount of millions its about the morphology and motility which were really bad. This means the strength and the direction they are going in. Basically OH's were weak and going round in circles, not able to make the full journey to the end and so result in a pregnancy. In then end, by the third test, the motility was 1% (really awful) We had some tests and they said that although he was producing sperm (although not as much as he should) that there was a blockage somewhere and the sperm could not get out of the testes (balls) They said if this does now improve that IVF would not be possible and only ICSI would be a choice and then that was not guaranteed as they may have to send us to another clinic and he would have to have "drilling" This means that they would have to drill into the balls and abstract the sperm manually and perform ICSI. He nearly had a small heart attack at this prognosis so he cut down on smoking, drinking and more importantly caffeine and took some vitamins and selenium, zinc and folic acid. The next test was much better but the final results for IVF/ICSI would be the decision of the doctors. On the day, after egg collection, he produced the sperm and it was 40 million. They considered this brilliant and said we could have become pregnant naturally with this result but we had started IVF and so they would finish. We did not have to have ICSI in the end. The difference between the two are:- IVF means they take the egg and sperm and put them in a dish together and the sperm makes its own way to the egg but with ICSI they inject the egg with the sperm (forcing it in) There is always a small chance of defects with ICSI since the egg can be damaged while its injected so IVF is the better route although the chances of pregnancy are more or less the same really since science is pretty good these days!!! Anything else, just ask... xxx

Hi Sammy I don't have anything to add as Im clueless about this sort of thing, just wanted to say how nice it is to see you back :hug:

Yep back to the drawing board... its not easy with Shaylee´s memories on board but maybe one day she will try and come through again to us but this time with her poorly head healed... If not, then may she rest in peace with no suffering.

I am scared of the future, scared something else will happen again. I will never be able to relax through a pregnancy now but I have to try and get through one some how, some day... xx

I have no idea about ivf but can I ask a question?

Is there a chance that the process can cause the problems you had with your last baby or is that just a case of genetics? Can the freezing etc increase the chances of abnormalities?

Nice to see you around :)

thank you so much for taking the time to write that for me, i will defo be asking more questions after tomorrow lol

my OH count was 5million with mobility of less than 20%...

Will be speaking to you soon i think. Really good to see you back. xx

H

I have no idea about ivf but can I ask a question?

Is there a chance that the process can cause the problems you had with your last baby or is that just a case of genetics? Can the freezing etc increase the chances of abnormalities?

Nice to see you around :)

Hi hun,

There is a chance that the IVF process can cause problems like this. I asked this question after the birth and they said yes it could but generally the chances were not that much more than normal. I dont know how much truth there is in that so I am going to ask the fertility clinic on 8th Feb. It is true though, i know that for a fact.

With Hydrocephalus... it can be a genetic thing but often not. We had a sample taken from Shaylee´s cord and from under her arm and they will test to find out. Chances are that it was just a malformation wheile her brain was developing but there is a small chance that OH and I could be non compatible and if thats the case then this could happen again... the chances are low though. We wont find out the results for another few weeks.

Normally if any defects are caused its due to damage to the actual egg itself. This is why when performing ICSI (sperm injected into the egg) its more frequent to have these types of problems. Normally this can not be detected but will result in a miscarriage at some point.

With FET... well it depends how the embryos thaw. Some people will argue that a 3 day embie is better than a 5 day blast and vice versa but at the end of the day it depends how it thaws out. A badly thawed embie will not be put back in and just discarded. We only have two which is worrying as it not often all of your embies thaw out fine although not impossible, just down to luck again!!! The freezing doesnt increase the chances of abnormalities although they can occur at any time... as far as I know anyway. I will ask this question to double check when we have our appointment and let you know xxx

i hope you get the answers you need hun..

its amazing how much information you know lol

Cant you try concieving naturally now that your OH's sprem was up to 40million?xx

i hope you get the answers you need hun..

its amazing how much information you know lol

Cant you try concieving naturally now that your OH's sprem was up to 40million?xx

Hi,

It wont be right now.... due to all the drinking smoking and everything it will be pretty bad again by now I would imagine. It takes 3 months for the sperm to replenish so really soon I am going to ask him to stop all these things and start to be healthier, in the meantime we will have the FET which does not require any sperm and is also easier on the body. Its ok for me to have IVF a month after the birth but of course you have to wait for ovulation first and a period. A FET will be kinder on my body for now but if it doesnt work then by the time we can start a fresh IVF cycles OH´s sperm should be in better shape.

Hi, just watched the docu "8 boys and wanting a girl".... how sad. Makes you realise how fortunate you are/were sometimes and sometimes how selfish you have been.

We really wanted a boy and I suffered gender disappointment as well... until you do, nobody will ever understand how you feel and your dreams and desires. When you lose what you have though it certainly kicks you up the bloody ass and makes you realise how insignificant it is... I would give my life to have our daughter back and I will never feel any disappointment one way or another gender-wise again.

:hug: How's things hun?

Pretty dreadful hun... OH was a complete ass all morning, first refusing to get up saying he didnt feel well (not true) and so i said i would drive and he said he didnt want to go :wall2:

I was fuming... finally after some threats he got out of bed, we didnt speak in the car... we got there and I asked what I was supposed to say when we got into the appointment and he said he didnt know. I basically got the impression he didnt even want to talk about having a baby so I walked out of the waiting room. He never came after me or asked me to stay. We didnt leave in silence though as I went ballistic all the way home and in effect dumped him.

Things have not been good since we me sleeping in a different room and just feeling like I want to break free. We sat and talked Thurday and OH said he would called the hospital to get the ball rolling on Friday, i stayed in antoher room again. He came Friday and i asked what the hospital said and he said he didnt call them as he didnt understand why i was sleeping in a different room. I burst into tears telling him that I was on CD6 and I ovulate on CD 12-14 and they will never get us in this month now for treatment that means a delay of 4 weeks for another period and 2 weeks for ovulation. I am really really mad and disappointed.

oh lord

im so sorry things arent well hun, maybe hes still coming to terms with loosing his daugter still??

hope things sort themselves out xx

Its difficult for us both right now... i am obsessing about trying again unable to accept not being pregnant and we are both grieving our loss. I am trying to move on when i dont know what moving on is and Allan is moving backwards not knowing what forwards is anymore. We do not understand each other right now or what each other is feeling really.

I cant cope with not being pregnant, Allan cannot cope with moving on... we are both scared i think for different reasons.

One out of two days are normal... the other stressed and on the brink of no return. How we are still together i dont know. Some of the days i just want him to go and the other days i just think he wants me to go.

I feel like my head is a mess of desperacy and confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back