IUI

Chazabell

Reaction score
Called the ACU and spoke to nurse. I am to carry on Clomid as she said 'you never know!'

At my appt next week i will have another internal scan done to ensure clomid is still working for me.

She then asked if myself or OH had any children, when i said no she then said the next step would be to discuss IUI.

I am assuming they would do a lap + dye 1st?

She aslo kept calling my OH my husband, we aren't married, will this cause issues for IUI?

Do you only get so many shots at IUI like IVF?

I'm happy to have an idea about what will be discussed next week, and so glad im not going alone! But IUI....everything she said after that was a blurr, i never thought it would come to that. Thought i may need 'flushing or drilling'.

xxxxx

From what I can see on google it appears that IUI can sometimes be offered before OD and a HSG, but if I were you I would maybe ask to have the drilling instead as the success rates are a lot higher with OD then they are with IUI.

I wouldnt worry about not being married hun she probably didnt even think when she said it xx

I agree with Vicky, i'd push for things to make clomid work like drilling before going onto IUI.

To be honest though, IUI doesn't have very good success rates and some PCTs allow several cycles of IUI ***OR*** IVF so i'd just stick to clomid for as long as possible, assuming they will do a lap and dye and drilling.

I don't really understand why they put you on clomid without a lap and dye, i mean, something is making it difficult for you conceive so it makes sense to look for it! xx

Hey Chaz,

I feel like your docs are open to giving treatment but aren't looking for the reason you aren't getting preggers, iui you get the swimmers injected into the cervix I (call me negative nigel if you want!) don't think you could be that unlucky that one swimmer didnt make it through in 2 years, by all means try iui but in the mean time why not get, all the diagnostics done, even if it is just for peace of mind?

Have you had a full blood count, thrombosillia, lupus?

XX

I have had full bloods done and all come back normal!

From what i have read online briefly.....

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/preconception/fertilitytreatments/iui/

You can only have IUI if you have no blockages, so im assuming that i'm automatically gonna get sent for Lap & Dye/ Hycosy etc then discuss from there.

This article also says its good treatment for unexplained fertility & mild endo.

And if i'm ovulating off Clomid.....OD wouldnt make much difference would it?

Last edited:
Dont know about IUI but just wanted to wish you good luck!
Really hope you get your BFP soon.xx

Morning!

Did some research last night. My ACU has its own website too. And lists all the processes you go through dependant on your problem.

It clearly states they have to ensure your tubes are clear before pressing on with IUI. IUI can also be done with or without drugs, again dependant on problem. If we do go down IUI i hope mine is side by side with drugs to aid ovulation, as i have been a regular 28 days on clomid, ovulating around CD 14/15. If its unaided its gonna be random.

They also say they only recommend 3 cycles of IUI, then suggest other treatments.

I feel quite prepared now and still have another week to go before the appt, to see if they even confirm IUI for me.

If anyone has anymore info, let me know :) xxxx

P.s. My stomach is just starting off so i think im in for a long day!!

Hi there, I know nothing about this but I am keen to learn and just wanted to send you love and luck! xxxx

me too daniph! ladies here are fab and much more knowledgable than my GP!

Hi Chazabell, I've had 3 IUI's & non were successful but they are way less intrusive that IVF so if you care provider is willing to try this first then it's worth a shot. You will need the HSG done first to make sure your tubes are clear but they should have done this before giving you Clomide anyway. They will probably keep you on Clomide with the IUI to give you the best shot, the procedure is a little uncomfortable but manageable.
I'm sure if you speak to them again they will fill you in on what procedures you need before you do the IUI.
Good luck! X

Also forgot to say they recommend 3 attempts as after this your chances reduce dramatically and they usually recommend IVF as your next step. The view is that if it's going to work it should do within the 3 tries.

Last edited:
Thanks Buggy. They put me on Clomid before any other tests as all bloods were fine and they assumed i had an ovulation problem as cycles varied from 21-32. They did a internal scan which confirmed PCOS which sucked!

I have written down all my cycles for 2011 showing the cycle ranges before clomid. I am also gonna speak to them about Endometriosis, as personally i think i have it due to abdo pain during AF, and thefact we havent fallen pregnant with super sperm!

It was a shock when she mentioned IUI on the phone. And i have looked on the website for the hospital/ unit and it states 3 tries at IUI the IVF or ICSI (no idea what diffenence is) i just thought i'd need ovarian drilling/ lap + dye.

Thanks for all your advice girls :) xxxx

I'd defo push for the HSG as this will show you if you need the drilling & flush any bits stuck in the tubes out. I'm not sure how endo is diagnosed but I thought that would show on scans?
If your OH has super sperm you probably won't need ICSI which is what I did. It's basically IVF but they inject the best sperm into the egg to fertilise it rather than leave them in a dish to do it themselves. If you only get 3 goes at any of the treatments I'd get the success rates for both the IUI and IVF and weigh your options.
Really hope you get some further answers with more tests & wishing you good luck with the procedures I know how frustrating it is, it'll all be worth it in the end!

hi hon I dont know about your medical history but I would go straight for standard ivf if you get 3 goes. The lady above is right you only need icsi if the sperm is low. IUI is okay but the success rate is lower. Are you sure it is 3 goes of all 3??? I am sure that they try you on IUI before you get 3 goes of standard Ivf or ICSI??? Iui will only be offered if your tubes are clear so you can only really decide what is best for you when you have had a hsg or Hycosy done. It sounds like things are moving fast for you so hopefully you should know more soon! Good luck hon I am hoping 2013 is your year xxxx

I was gonna say 2013? WTF! Lol :)

I'm gonna ask loads on Thurs, never thought id be considering IUI or IVF xxxx

Me neither hon, I never thought it would come to it but i am slowly coming around to the idea that it may just be the the right thing for us now. xxxx

Hi chazabell, I follow you quite regularly on here and always wonder how your getting on.

I can only give a little advice with the treatment I received. I had a lap and dye done first due to unexplained infertility. Hubby's swimmers were all fine after 3 tests! They found i had mild endo but told it would not prevent me from conceiving. Tubes were clear so I went ahead with three iui's unfortunately all unsuccessful. I then went straight for Ivf and ICSI together. The Ivf failed no eggs fertilised but the eggs put forward for ICSI conceived. Two put back grade 1 and 2 and one of them found a home.

A long journey but worth it and I'd do it again if we can't conceive on our own a second time.

Good luck Hun I have my fingers crossed for you and a few other girlies I follow on here xx

I'm not liking these IUI stories :( they all sound very unsucessful xxx

Can't offer much advice im afraid, our next step is likely to be IUI if I have my hycosy and everything looks fine.

I know a few people that have had it and it worked but also a few that it hasn't worked for. None that it worked for were lucky the first time though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back