Private IVF - first steps

ender4

Reaction score
Hi,

Me & my wife have been trying to conceive for ages (years).

Sperm test was fine, 21 day test has just been done....

We want to go & have private IVF.. but not sure where to start with the process. Is it just a case of making an appointment at a private clinic for a consultation?

Can't even find a definitive list of private clinics in the West Midlands area.

Also how long is the wait for NHS IVF, from the point of the 21 day test to the point they actually implant??

i'm confused about all of this, so is my wife.

Hi

Most private clinics will want a GP referal for an appointment with them. Although quite a few do information evenings that you can attend for more information before you book a consultation. I know The Priory and Midland Fertility Services both do this. I think Birmingham Womens Hospital may also do this, although it is an NHS hospital they treat self funded patients too.

For a list of clinics, go on the HFEA website. You can search for clinics in your area. Every clinic in the UK is listed on this website.

The wait for NHS IVF varies between areas and it depends what PCT covers your area. We were Birmingham East and the wait was approx 6 months, but ended up being around 8-9 months before we were seen.

Are those 2 tests the only ones that have been done? Usually there are other investigations and tests before IVF is suggested, and it is a lot cheaper to stick with the NHS for these before going to a private clinic. We had all our investigations done with the NHS including all the screening tests that need to be done before you can start IVF, then we went to a private clinic for treatment.

Hope this helps,

Michelle

thanks for the information.

How long does it take to do all the screening tests on the NHS?

I have to agree with shell that you are better sticking with the NHS while investigations are being done, esp as they do not seem to have found a problem yet.

the whole process can take a while, i would get onto your GP and ask for a referral to your NHS fertility unit, you will normally wait max 18 weeks for a consultation and then take it from there
xxx

Hiya, me and my OH are at a similar stage to you I think. We have been trying for 20 months and have had a mc in this time (a year ago) and nothing since. I went to the GP and at the beginning of Oct, 18 months down the line, he referred me to the NHS fertility clinic. I have had a 7 week wait for the appointment, which isnt too bad, and am just waiting to see what happens after that (Its next tuesday.) We will be paying if we need IVF, but are having the preliminary tests done by the NHS as its so costly. Saying that though, I will pay for private tests if I have to wait absolutely ages. Good luck :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back