jewelry wearing babies?

Foxxi said:
zebrastripes said:
Try getting my boyfriend on that one,he's a Mennonite ( albeit a strange one)

Sorry for going off subject but...

Lou, whats a mennonite???

thats what I thought, first thing I did was googled it!!! :rotfl:

Misslarue said:
Foxxi said:
zebrastripes said:

Why didnt I think of googling it! duh :doh:

Not a fan of jewellery on babies, it just doesn't look 'right'.

Each to their own though :)

Jess now has a slight appreciation of jewellery but the only thing she seems to want to put on is a groovy chick necklance. Its got a pop open fastening at the back.

I think on babies a plain bangle or braclet is okay but it could quite easily get lost, babies aint caring.

Foxxi said:
Misslarue said:
Foxxi said:
zebrastripes said:

Why didnt I think of googling it! duh :doh:

I had to too!

"The Mennonites are a group of Christian Anabaptist denominations named after Menno Simons (1496-1561), though his teachings were a relatively minor influence on the group. As one of the historic peace churches, Mennonites are committed to nonviolence, nonviolent resistance/reconciliation, and pacifism."

-save anyone else having to google it :D

On the subject of jewellery, Evie wears an amber teething necklace and has done since she was 4months ish. I tuck it under her vest though and she has never really bothered about it, I really believe it has helped with her teething. I have had a few odd looks of people when they have seen it and if they don't know what it is, I'm not actually a fan of jewellery on babies ( :shhh: and definately not ear piercing :shhh: ...creeps away!) and only use the necklace medicinally.

I'm not keen either, I think it looks a bit tacky.

I look after children in a creche and we get a lot of toddlers in with gold necklaces and stuff, which I think are quite dangerous TBH! One mom kicked off at me last week when I asked her to remove her 18 month old little boys gold hoop earring!
She said he's been going to nursery with it since he was 3 months old and they never asked her to remove it.
I told her another child could pull it out, it could get lost and another child could choke on it etc etc and she still had a right go :roll:

Urchin said:
I'm not keen either, I think it looks a bit tacky.

I look after children in a creche and we get a lot of toddlers in with gold necklaces and stuff, which I think are quite dangerous TBH! One mom kicked off at me last week when I asked her to remove her 18 month old little boys gold hoop earring!
She said he's been going to nursery with it since he was 3 months old and they never asked her to remove it.
I told her another child could pull it out, it could get lost and another child could choke on it etc etc and she still had a right go :roll:

Christ, poor kid!

Personally jewelry isn't something I'd buy for Isaac, or put on him if it was given by someone, but would treasure the gift still :)
But I don't really like jewelry on myself or OH :lol: My best friends little girl wears a bracelet, I think she looks cute in it, but not my thing :hug:

I dont like ear piercings or jewllery on babies or young children. You wont ever see either on my kids.

renee has a bracelet and she has her ears pierced to.

i think they look cute on babies..

my cousin aiyana had not got her ears done. she's 8 months

neeko_1 said:
renee has a bracelet and she has her ears pierced to.

i think they look cute on babies..

my cousin aiyana had not got her ears done. she's 8 months

:shock:

I honestly think pierced ears on young children look naff, besides it being cruel and morally wrong to do that to somebody who's under your care.

My own experience with pierced ears at the age of ten wasn't brilliant. A 'friend' in a hissy fit decided she would pinch my ear where the ear ring was, about six weeks after having them done. I'd just changed ear rings for the first time and the back clasp was absolutely tiny. She squeezed it and it became embedded into my flesh and became infected.

The silver bracelets etc are cute but hardly practical for everyday wear. I think perfectly fine to be worn for an hour or two while closely watched at a christening or similar special occaision.

I really don't like jewellry on babies, I think maybe the special bracelets for a nice occasion maybe, but only the solid bangle types as I think chains could break and get put into the mouth - huge choking hazard :shock:

Libby has a beautiful necklace that my friend bought her when she was born.......to be put in her keepsake box and given to her when she is 16.....its an adult one. That is the only jewellry she has :)

I really don't like to see babies with pierced ears, I am of the same opinion as Leckershell, when the child can make the decision, then it should be a consideration, we haven't had Libby christened either for the same reason.

Emmylou said:
I really don't like to see babies with pierced ears, I am of the same opinion as Leckershell, when the child can make the decision, then it should be a consideration, we haven't had Libby christened either for the same reason.

I totally agree :)

Glenns bracelet is a solid one, i am off to have it pinched tomorrow so he can wear it, its interesting to hear all the different opinions and reasons why, my daugher had her ears pierced at about 7 years old, i think the same about piercing, i think that was too young for her but she was insistent and she knew her own mind at even that young age, my sister had an infected ear when she was younger (the back went into her lobe) and that put me off so i stopped wearing them, my daughter doesnt bother with wearing them now either, she is after the top or her ear peirced but we are locked into an arguement about that! i dont think she should have that done i think it looks awful.

in indian culture baby girls get their ears pierced as babies. Mine will be half-indian,(on OHs side) but i wont get her ears pierced, even if its expected by the in-laws, i think it looks horrible on babies. I'll wait until she is old enough to want them done.

Had we had a girl then she would have had a little solid silver bangle, biut as we had a boy he had no jewellery.

I don't like jewellery on babies myself. I think it looks a bit chavtastic, but thats just my opinion and I know others will disagree, each to their own :D

My sister got both her girls ears pierced at 6 months which I think is cruel. I was almost 3 when I had mine pierced but I remember nagging my mum for earrings and was really happy when she took me to have it done. If I had a daughter though I think I'd wait until she was at school.
It doesn't seem right to me to make holes in someone's body for cosmetic reasons when they're too young to consent

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back