What do babies wear?

neil16781

Reaction score
Hello, I hope you don't mind me asking, I know it must sound like a daft question but this is our first baby and we have no idea!

Are the bodysuits meant to be worn like underwear?
When do they need to wear scratch mits?
Do babies need to wear socks and shoes?
Is there a difference between a sleepsuit and a long sleeved bodysuit?

I'm really sorry for the questions, I'm a first time daddy to be and am really worried I'm gonna get it all wrong, my princess is due in April and I just want to be a good dad.

Many thanks
Neil

Hi Neil!

A bodysuit is baby underwear and generally worn over a nappy and under other clothes. Sometimes it's called a vest, and can be long or short sleeved.

A sleepsuit is an all-in-one with legs and feet, sometimes called a baby-gro. Usually worn as nightwear and often all day in the early days.

Hope that helps! :D

neil16781 said:
Hello, I hope you don't mind me asking, I know it must sound like a daft question but this is our first baby and we have no idea!

Are the bodysuits meant to be worn like underwear?
When do they need to wear scratch mits?
Do babies need to wear socks and shoes?
Is there a difference between a sleepsuit and a long sleeved bodysuit?

I'm really sorry for the questions, I'm a first time daddy to be and am really worried I'm gonna get it all wrong, my princess is due in April and I just want to be a good dad.

Many thanks
Neil

awww God love him :hug: :hug:
isn't there something terribly appealing about a man who knows zilch about babies :rotfl:

budge said:
isn't there something terribly appealing about a man who knows zilch about babies :rotfl:

It's not just men! I thought vests and bodysuits were seperate entities, my friends with babies were rather amused! :lol:

Forgot to add, scrathch mitts can be used from birth whenever but particularly at night, they never worked for us though. And socks are needed all the time really, soft shoes are optional. I don't like shoes on babies generally so rarely bother. :D

''Forgot to add, scrathch mitts can be used from birth whenever but particularly at night, they never worked for us though. And socks are needed all the time really, soft shoes are optional. I don't like shoes on babies generally so rarely bother. ''quote minxy

i quite agree with all of that !

neil keep asknig question - don't mind me im the forum idiot :D

Awwwww Neil you are just plain gorgeous and as for the forum idiot boy dont I miss you hun xxxx

I didn't know any of that either. In fact there are loads of things I don't know about babies. If/when I get pg I shall be annoying all you Mums asking much stupider questions!

(P.S. Neil - I didn't think that was a daft question at all :D )

We only know from experience hun, trust me there's a million daft questions I asked but it just shows you care and no-one can knock you for that.

You could confuse the issue by calling bodysuits 'underwear'.

After all alot of outfits use a vest/bodysuit as the 'top' part of the outfit, you know, like dungarees and t-shirt for example.

:D

Hi,

I didn't know either before having Mel and when mum and I had to dress him for the first time we couldn't work out how to get the sleepsuit on!

The difference between a longsleeve bodysuit and a sleepsuit is the legs and feet. To confuse the matter you can get kind of day and night wear suits that are like sleepsuits but with no feet in them.

Our boy spent his first 6 months in nothing but bodysuits as vests with a sleepsuit over the top (with built in feet if you see what I mean) and jumpers if it was cold. I couldn't be bothered with lots of baby socks if I didn't need to and he couldn't kick those feet coverings off or have a gap. It meant he probably looked more of a baby for longer but I didn't mind that really. We only got him those soft leather shoes once he was moving about.

It's a matter of taste I guess!

+++

budge said:

hmmm wears thin after 5 months and they still know naff all! :rotfl: :rotfl:

how is your daughter neil? she was ill last night

my baby's 2 weeks old and its quite warm so she's just been wearing bodysuits, or sometimes just long-sleeved t-shirts with her nappy. we sometimes put socks or bootees on her and yesterday had her in scratch mittens as she has very sharp nails and had scratched her face. the mittens just fall off though :x as do socks and bootees!
she has tons of lovely outfits (dresses, jeans, etc) but they still all too big even the newborn ones, and the little trainers are too big too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back