Baby Wearing

Vikky78

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum. But i'm wondering if anyone has decided or does "wear their baby?"

I've seen it previously in other cultures, where the babies are carried around using slings or wraps.

I really like this idea, and i'm just wondering if there are any people out there that have thought of doing the same thing, or do/have done it with the children they have?

I like the idea of being able to carry on doing things while having the baby with me, and not have to worry about things like feeding, as i would like to give breastfeeding a go (when we finally get pregnant), and thought this would also be a very discrete way of being able to breastfeed while not having to stop everything to do it.

Any information on other peoples experiences or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck with TTCing :hug:

Might be better in "Ask a mum" section :think:

We carried Ruby in a baby carrier from birth as we walk alot with the dog and pram cant access beaches etc...

Recently Ruby likes to be carried while in sleeping position, so I invested in a baby ling, and she loves it...can carry her in 7 different positions, fav being asleep on my chest or back

ruby176.jpg

ruby181.jpg

Hope this helps xxx

Brilliant, many thanks for the response. Sorry for putting it in the wrong forum. How do i move it?

How do you find putting her down to sleep during the night?

That's the thing i've been wondering, with them being so used to being with you all during the day, do she sleep all through the night in her own cot?

Just wondering if it's making a rod for my own back to keep the baby with me at all times during the day, but then trying to get them to sleep on their own during the night.

Thanks again for your response.

No probs, Mods can move this...ladies not sure where it should be??

Had Ruby in a routine from early days, she goes down in her cot in her nursery at 7pm each night, we dream feed her at 11pm, and she sleeps through.

I dont carry her all day, she likes to play and kick on her mat/bouncer/cot during the day, we play alot and I am sure its the reason she sleeps so well at night. I carry her when we go out either walking or shopping etc and she always naps in her sling.

Good luck xxxxxxxx

Zoe hope you dont mind me asking, what do you mean by 'dream feed'?

Rach9 said:
Zoe hope you dont mind me asking, what do you mean by 'dream feed'?

No, dont mind at all.... :hug: We go into her at 11pm before we go to bed, and feed her. We dont turn on light, and only change her nappy if necessary, we dont stimulate her in anyway, keep it quiet and dark....she is usually very sleepy and falls asleep either at end of feed or as soon as we tuck her in her cot after feed..she then sleps soundly through until around 7am and has done since about 7 weeks old :cheer: xxxxx

Wow she sounds idilic! Lucky you. I love the name Ruby btw :D

Hope im as lucky to have as good a baby!

Rach9 said:
Wow she sounds idilic! Lucky you. I love the name Ruby btw :D

Hope im as lucky to have as good a baby!

It takes a bit of hard work at the beginning, but it defo is worth getting bubba into a routine from day one, she is such an angel now and once we bath her at the start of her bedtime routine, she gets all excited and will only settle once she is fed and in cot, she doesnt like to be fussed with, she just wants to get in and crash out :shock: We are very lucky, proud parents :cheer: :hug: xx

P.S Ruby is my birthstone (July) so had that name for her from day one :lol:

I wear Thea all the time! I love it and so does she. I'm addicted to buying different types of carriers.
I have wraps, pouches, Mei tai 's and ring slings :D Thea likes them all expect the freedom pouch.
This is about half my collection
DSCF1359.jpg

Now she is getting bigger we are doing more carries because she can see more that way and its more comfortable for me.
tn_theabackmt.jpg

I wear Thea while i do the house work. She is probably worn for about half of the day.
She is a super confident baby, nothing frightens her and she will happily sit on her own and play with toys or play with other babies. I'm sure that the baby wearing has given her that confidence in herself.
We barely use our pushchair. In fact i can honestly say it been used about 10 times since Thea was born and she is 7 months old this month!

Stay away from mainstream carriers like the Bjorn and the snuggily. As your baby gets heavier they will become very uncomfortable for both you and baby. They also dangle baby by the crotch which can displace their hips.
I really recommend a DVD called tummy2tummy ( www.slingjax.co.uk under accessories) it will show the different types of carriers and how to you use them, all the carriers you can do with them in step by step instructions and trouble shooting to help you get the best out of you baby wearing) Some carriers have a steeper learning curve than others.

If you use a well made carrier like a MT, Wrap, Pouch or ring sling correctly you will be able to comfortable carry a child until they are a toddler. Just think no lugging a pushchair around, just a sling that will fit in your bag!
Baby wearing = happy, confident, well adjusted baby and very happy mama

There I shall climb off my soap box now :rotfl: feel free to ask me anything.

Many thanks for your reply Melanie.

I had been reading a bit about them, and it appealed to me that you can carry the baby and still be able to get on with doing things.

I've got to ask, did you breast feed Thea in them as well? As i really like the idea that you can breastfeed them while still carrying on with what you're doing (e.g shopping) while also being discrete. Unfortunately people back home are also very closed minded to mothers breastfeeding when and where they need to.

I was actually looking at either the Ellaroo ( I really like the colours they do in these) and the Kari Me wrap around carriers. Have you used either of these brands before? If so, are either of them any good at all?

Again, thank you so much for your response.

I breastfeed Thea in all my carriers. Some are easier than others. Ring slings or pouches are by far the easiest to use to start with especially as the tail on a ring sling can be pulled up to the baby like a blanket making it even more discrete.
Ellaroo are a great brand, i recommend their wraps, ring slings and Mei Tai's :D

Good Q, been thinking of buying a sling too, just wanted to ask, is it ok to wear your baby after a c section tho? Im coming up to 6 weeks now, would it be safe? Also, m looking to get the 'premaxx' carrier from mothercare, anyone have that and is that any good? thx :hug:

I have got a KARI-ME sling, which a freind bought me and its great. Just a long peice of stretchy fabric that i wrap around me in a certain way then put the baby in it. She loves it and drops off to sleep. I take her on long walks and round the shops. I love the fact that she is so close to me, I can smell her and feel her breathing, its so nice, I feel that I can really protect her too, cos she is so close to me. When i have finished shopping i put her in her car seat and leave the wrap/sling around me so that when we get to the next place i can get out of the car and pop her straight back in it. I can`t recommend baby wearing enough, the midwives in the hospital refered to me as a kangaroo mum, I love it. ( www.kari-me.com)

Reena said:
Good Q, been thinking of buying a sling too, just wanted to ask, is it ok to wear your baby after a c section tho? Im coming up to 6 weeks now, would it be safe? Also, m looking to get the 'premaxx' carrier from mothercare, anyone have that and is that any good? thx :hug:

I had a C-section and have been using a ring sling since Grace was born - we both absolutely love it - it is so comfortable and makes life easy as you have both hands free. I also find it really easy for bf in public.

hi all was just wondering if your OH's use them much as i would like to get one but fdont want him to feel im taking something away from him (he used to love pushin reanna around in pram). r they only made for mums or for both. i have never really heard of this before but sounds a great idea as we would be walking to and from school with DD twice a day when Kayla is born so would be more suitable than getting the pram out.

xxxxx

Hi Kim,

Baby wearing/slings/wraps are great for both people to use. They're very versitile and if you're very different sizes (e.g you're 4'11 and he's 6'4) then you just buy a different size sling for each of you.

They're great because they can also be used for when your children get to toddling age (depending on the sort of sling/wrap you get) which means as your kids get older, if you get pregnant again, you can carry baby while playing with the toddler. Your hands are completely free to do what you need.

I found this, URL which gives you an idea of the benefits of baby wearing for both the baby and the parents.

I spoke to my mum about this to see if she thought it was a good idea as an avenue for me to go down, and she said she'd be happy to get some slings/wraps as well to carry baby around when she's baby sitting :) It's great, the whole family can get involved with it.

It also means OH is getting up close and personal to baby as well. He can get/give lots of cuddles and warmth and safety to baby. Which is part of what i found very appealing as well.

Hope this helps. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back