Is it safe to have hot baths????

kacinkyesmummy

Reaction score
I am 26 weeks on wednesday. I have always had hot baths and i mean hot. Come out steaming lol. They dont feel hot to me as im used to it. But when DF has got in with me a couple of times it tends to be far to hot for him lol. However recently i have heard people say u should not have hot baths. Why is this and is this true does anyone know? This is my 3rd baby and i have always had hot baths hasnt done them any harm however would just like to know for sure before i carry on just incase this can harm baby in any way.
Thanks for you time
Gem x

Hmm, iv heard this before and I'm also not sure why!! I think it only matters when your 30+ weeks and the skin and fat layers around your baby get thinner - just a guess!

x

The only time I was advised to take a hot bath was when I was in established labour, I dont think they advise it while pregnant.. I always remember them telling me luke warm xx

I love red hot baths. I think the reason you shouldnt is because it raises your BP. As a guide, if you have to lower yourself in a bit at a time then it's too hot for a preggy lady. I'd rather show than have a luke warm bath! :lol:

Its something to do with your blood pressure like mervs mum said, and they say it can slow down babys heart rate and cause problems if its too hot. Don't know how accurate this is, but ever since reading it i've not had a hot bath just in case. But as you said your other two were fine, sometimes i think they make these things up to complicate things!

im same as you love love love boiling baths but have cooled mine down in past few weeks i was told it was because it raises your core body temp which is really bad for baby how true this is i dont know but i wont risk it

I was told luke warm ones only. I don't think it's good to get too hot when pregnant as it's bad for baby (sorry but not sure why).

Apparently it's down to oxygen and body temperature... When you have a hot bath your body works hard at trying to lower your temperature thus taking oxygen away from your baby in the meantime.

I've always loved a hot bath, the hotter the better! I still have a hit bath but not scorching and I don't stay in for that long..about 5 10 mins the most.

I know that a raised temp in early pregnancy can interfere with important develpment - not sure about second and third trim's tho!

Thanks everyone. Maybe i should cool them down a little then. To me a bath isnt a the same if its luke warm lol. Never mind will tone it down a little just incase. I never ger to stay in them for long as kids dont let me have more than 5 mins alone lol.
better to be safe than sorry though. Its not forever eh lol
Thanks
again xx

I love hot baths too, but it's best to have them cooler while you're pregnant as the hot water draws blood towards the surface of your skin (to cool you down), diverting the blood away from your baby. It can also lower your blood pressure and make you feel dizzy x

I hate luke warm baths, but i just tend to top it up every 5- 10 mins so it stays at a reasonable temp so i don't sit there cold! Like to spend a lot of time in bath especially when preggers - realised i was in there for nearly two hours the other night reading me book!

I don't like it when I get too wrinkly because I can't touch the tips of my fingers together or on a towel...just thinking about it makes me shiver :lol:

I love hot baths, and after having the MC you start disecting all the things you've done over the 11 weeks preg for me, trying to work out if you did something, trying to find the cause to blame, but I'll never know , just happened.

I know for sure I will not be having any baths at all, just hose downs with the tap attachment when I get pregnant again, as paranoid that I over did my bath temps! (I hate luke warm baths).

I can see it was prob far more likely chromazonal issues cauing the MC, but if I can rule it out next time, I will relax more, one thing less to worry about.

It's so unlikely to be anything other than chromosomal issues causing it hun :hug: There are so many things that are thought to slightly affect development but wouldn't cause a miscarriage x

Sorry but i have to clarify

does DF not mean 'Darling Father?'

am a bit confused because i certainly dont bathe with my dad any longer!!

Last edited:
phew! Thanks for clearing that up - i thought i had stumbled upon the wrong sort of pregnancy forum for a second there!!! ;)

:rofl:

does this advice count for hot showers too?? I love my hot power shower :cry: Ive given up wine what MORE do you want?!?!

I know tiny! I was moaning like a good un yesterday about how much I can't have! Oh well, snot for long eh?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back